PDA

View Full Version : Yep, Ima dreamer...

mtnairlover
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Well, maybe more a space cadet, than dreamer...or maybe a lil of both.

Who here looks up at the night sky when it's clear? I'm always looking up...in the morning before the sun rises and I head off to work and in the evening when the sun is going down and the clouds have parted. I look up.

I'm not sure what it is that drives me. Nor am I sure why I linger for a bit soaking it all in, but I do...and every time I look up, I'm never disappointed. I'm still left a little star-struck.

On Monday evening, as the sun is setting, the moon will be at the slightest bit of a crescent and will be flanked by Venus and Jupiter. This spectacle tends to bring out questions and phone calls to local authorities, but it's only because those who call don't always watch the night sky, so the brightness of the planets to the moon will throw a few people off.

Keeping fingers crossed the clouds disappear on Monday evening over the southwestern sky.

*Gasp...(thinking) did I just say I'm looking forward to Monday? Giggles to self.*

Space News... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081128/sc_space/spectacularskyscenemondayevening)

mastap07
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
well it should be pretty clear from what they're sayin so i guess all ya can do is wait and see....

but its always been pretty facinating to look up and see all the stars, planets and satelites!

dirkterrell
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Who here looks up at the night sky when it's clear?

I do occasionally. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

mtnairlover
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I do occasionally. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

Lol...duh...:D

As a kid, I used to lay down in the back of my Dad's old beat-up 58 Ford and watch the stars go by as we drove through the mountains. Camping under the stars was always an adventure, too.

Today, with the addition of so many satellites, watching the night sky can be quite entertaining as well...well, maybe just for me and my kids.;)

XJ600s
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I look up occaisionally too. In fact, I was looking up at the sky for 3 straight nights over Thanksgiving break last weekend. Thankfully, I've got a telescope and an observatory to use!

chad23
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I was lookin up all morning long.... Hoping a goose would be stupid enough to come on over and play.:sniper:

asp_125
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I like camping out in Moab away from civilization and sleeping with the top of the tent open to the sky. With or without the moon, there are so many stars.

Rhino
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Caught it between the clouds...

daemon
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
just showed freda and miah tonight....
cool,but i couldn't get a decent pic

chad23
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
what star/planets are they?

Rhino
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Venus and Jupiter

chad23
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
I saw them earlier today and was amazed as to how bright they are

mtnairlover
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah, tonight's vision of Venus and Jupiter lined up with the moon was the only night they will be in a perfect triangle...so, that's why I mentioned it...it's kind of a rare event. It was quite the sight. Paulina said she looked up on her way home from a friend's house and was curious as to what was going on (it was just after 5). She didn't know until I told her. She said..."Wow, cool!":)

Caught it between the clouds...

That's an awesome pic, Ryan. You can even make out the shape on the dark side of the moon.

dirkterrell
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
You can even make out the shape on the dark side of the moon.

Earthshine is pretty strong at low lunar phases like that.

Dirk

pilot
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I stay in the Mohave when I'm working in the LA area. Next time I get a chance, I'll take a few night shots of the Milky Way for you.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
I stay in the Mohave when I'm working in the LA area. Next time I get a chance, I'll take a few night shots of the Milky Way from down there. It's spectacular.

You should see it from the southern hemisphere. :) I'm going down to New Zealand again in January. I'll try to shoot some pictures of it.

When you're out in isolated places like the Mojave, look for the zodiacal light (easiest to see in the evening to the west in spring after twilight and to the east in the morning during fall just before twilight). I was at an artists' workshop back in 2005 in Death Valley during new Moon and the zodiacal light looked like a searchlight aimed up from the horizon.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
On Monday evening, as the sun is setting, the moon will be at the slightest bit of a crescent and will be flanked by Venus and Jupiter. This spectacle tends to bring out questions and phone calls to local authorities...
Do people really look up to the skies, see an odd star or two, and then call the cops or fire department? Does that happen? If so, can I get a copy of the 911 tape?

"911, what is your emergency?" "uh yeah, there are a couple new stars up there in the sky." "seriously?" "yeah, I swear to God, they're right there and they weren't there last nite!" "No, seriously as in seriously, you're not really calling 911 about stars, right? This is a metaphor for you getting your leg chopped off by an axe wielding maniac and you're hallucinating due to the massive blood loss, right?" "nope, just stars. But they're NEW!" "Sir, please walk directly into traffic and stand there. I'll stay on the line for this..."

:D

Seriously tho, I'm glad I looked up while stopped at the light on my commute home! Pretty cool look'n! I noticed 'em not because they were odd, although I thought that too, but because I went "Huh, stars? In Denver??? That can't be right..."

pilot
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
You should see it from the southern hemisphere. :) I'm going down to New Zealand again in January. I'll try to shoot some pictures of it.

When you're out in isolated places like the Mojave, look for the zodiacal light (easiest to see in the evening to the west in spring after twilight and to the east in the morning during fall just before twilight). I was at an artists' workshop back in 2005 in Death Valley during new Moon and the zodiacal light looked like a searchlight aimed up from the horizon.

DirkDamn! I always thought that was the Luxor?!?

http://rvforsaleguide.com/images/las-vegas-luxor-picture.jpg

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Do people really look up to the skies, see an odd star or two, and then call the cops or fire department? Does that happen? If so, can I get a copy of the 911 tape?

Sightings of Venus account for the majority of UFO reports. When it gets low on the horizon and atmospheric seeing has it twinkling and flashing different colors, it freaks people out who aren't familiar with the sky (i.e. most people unfortunately). It is the third brightest object in the sky behind the Moon and the Sun. President Carter's famous UFO sighting was Venus. :)

All of this astronomy chatter has me wondering if we shouldn't head up to RMNP some summer evening and have a little star party. I could bring my telescope up. The winter sky is actually nicer but we'd have to do it at lower elevation.

Dirk

Think
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I was on an FTX with ROTC back in September in Camp Guernsey, Wyoming. It was super clear out at night while we were doing land nav. I almost got lost since all I did was look up at the sky. I've never seen so many stars in my life. It was awesome.

wazemoto07
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well Yeah... Looked up in the morning Sky as I went to work at the Airport and really thought,as in my mind, they were Airplanes travelin.

Huh who would have thunk. Sorry for bein a Space, but, I smell Jet fuel all day and it had'nt brought attention to me until I worked overtime, there they were.......UnF..ken real.

Flippen Cool and yes grew up here and I would have to say this was one time out of few in my life of outward- bound that I have seen this, was actually exciting to not have any clouds distort the Naturalll' of this fine Planet we inhibit.

Wish I would've taken pics from DIA as it would have been Spectacular from that point......

mtnairlover
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
All of this astronomy chatter has me wondering if we shouldn't head up to RMNP some summer evening and have a little star party. I could bring my telescope up. The winter sky is actually nicer but we'd have to do it at lower elevation.

Dirk

I freeze my ha ha's off in the Winter and it doesn't matter how many layers of clothes I've got on, but I like the star-gazing idea in the Summertime. I say start planning and I'll sign up for the road trip when you post it next Summer.:)

pilot
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM

DirkOr, how about "renting" the planetarium at City Park. Get them, via Chicane, to do a "Party for the Stars of Motorcycle Riding." Show a riding film or something similar, toss in some planetary lore, and then take the proceeds (the city donates their time to the charitable act) and give them to the Fallen Rider's Fund, who, in-turn, could distribute the cash to worthy causes--say Clarkie--and others of similar riding misfortune. Perhaps a few select vendors could do some low-key marketing in exchange for helping with the costs of this and that.

Just something to ponder. Anyways, it would make a nice, warm :drink:party.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I freeze my ha ha's off in the Winter and it doesn't matter how many layers of clothes I've got on, but I like the star-gazing idea in the Summertime. I say start planning and I'll sign up for the road trip when you post it next Summer.:)

I'm beginning to toy with the idea of doing some mini star parties at the observatory at my house over the winter. The winter sky has some great objects to look at and the warmth of the house is right there. :) Friday or Saturday nights would probably be the best. If people would be interested, I'd be happy to do it.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Or, how about "renting" the planetarium at City Park. Get them, via Chicane, to do a "Party for the Stars of Motorcycle Riding." Show a riding film or something similar, toss in some planetary lore, and then take the proceeds (the city donates their time to the charitable act) and give them to the Fallen Rider's Fund, who, in-turn, could distribute the cash to worthy causes--say Clarkie--and others of similar riding misfortune.

Well, that's a little different from what I was talking about. :) But, if it is something that would generate enough interest to be worth the effort, I would not hesitate to do it.

Dirk

XJ600s
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
And for those interested, I too have access to Somers Bausch Observatory on CU's campus in Boulder. While I have way too many projects, jobs, labs to be working on before the end of the semester, maybe sometime in early January if people are interested as well.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
And for those interested, I too have access to Somers Bausch Observatory on CU's campus in Boulder. While I have way too many projects, jobs, labs to be working on before the end of the semester, maybe sometime in early January if people are interested as well.

I've used the SBO 24" quite a bit. In fact, I observed a Pluto occultation there a few weeks back. I'm sure Keith would let us have the run of the place on some evening when the telescopes aren't in use.

Dirk

XJ600s
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thats sweet! The 24" is my bestest friend, right next to google. I've got 24/7 access to the 24", but I'm working for several professors on campus (Bally and Stringfellow) observing, so I can get the telescope anytime its available, which is quite often.

PsychoMike
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM

im heading up thier tommorow with my girlfreind. she is in astrononmy at csu

XJ600s
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Why are you headed there tomorrow? Something going on? 24" observing? Observing deck? Planetarium?

skortch
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm beginning to toy with the idea of doing some mini star parties at the observatory at my house over the winter. The winter sky has some great objects to look at and the warmth of the house is right there. :) Friday or Saturday nights would probably be the best. If people would be interested, I'd be happy to do it.

Dirk

I'd be interested! I'd be happy to bring some beer or hot chocolate or whatever to share.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
I'll sho for SBO. Make It So.

mtnairlover
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hmmm...I'm trying to come up with a really good geekish sounding party title...er, I mean...sky lovin'...lol...damn, I'm off my game this a.m.

Oh, but count me in as well. It would be cool. Funny thing, I've never looked through a telescope to watch the stars, so it would be another experience in my list of things before I die sorta thing...sorta...not that I have one of those, but most definitely something I'd like to carry in the memory banks...damn, now that's geekish.:lol::D

PsychoMike
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Why are you headed there tomorrow? Something going on? 24" observing? Observing deck? Planetarium?

umm... I have no idea. i just follow her around lol.

PsychoMike
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
and i think i got the observetorys wrong. were going to fiske(?) or somthing

Sortarican
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
what star/planets are they?

Venus and Jupiter

What's the crescent shaped one called?