PDA

View Full Version : SV650 is hesitating. (Cleaning the carbs)

metalnicx
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM
My Suzuki SV650 is hesitating. I changed the spark plugs which helped, but it's still doing it. Someone suggested that I should clean the carbs. Which is better to buy the stuff you just pour in the tank, or should I pop-up the hood, remove the air filter, and use the spray can, to spray in there while the bike is running?

And by the way, what the hell happened to Discount Motorcycle Tire Co. There's no store at Ralstin & Sheriden anymore? WTF! What's a good alternative around that area that has good prices like they did?

Stuart Little
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 12:23 PM
eh, you might as well take the time and clean them thoroughly by hand but if you don't have the time you might try the tank system...lemme think of the name and i'll get back to you with an edit :) I've heard it works well but it makes the gas run like crap and you have to do it a couple of times to clear the stuff out.

metalnicx
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Is that hard to take out the carbs, and clean them by hand? I just got this bike at the beginging of this year, so I'm still learning. I have changed the spark plugs, and know how to change the oil, so basic things like that.

Sparker
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM
the stuff that i used was the B12 chemtool. like 8 a bottle. used it on my TL and noticed it helped.

metalnicx
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
sweet thanks!

hrvstofsrrw
Sun Dec 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
bg 44k kicks ass my audi was being a little bit of a shit starting when i first got it i put two cans through and now it runs like its brand new

RAGrote
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Can you be more specific about when it hesitates?

Right off idle - pulling away from a stop sign?
At mid throttle opening when you open or close the throttle?
At full throttle when you close the throttle, like after you do a full throttle run through the gears?
Constant throttle opening, just cruisin along and it burps....

That will tell you alot about where the issue is.

What year is the bike?
How many miles?
Has it sat around alot? In a garage? Outside?

All good information to know.

metalnicx
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Here are some more details...

2000 SV650
8200 miles
It really hasn't sat around for much. I start it up at least every 2 weeks or so. I keep it stored in my garage.

It hesitates at low idle speed. So if I let the bike warm up, at idle (around 1000RPM's), when I open the thottle there's a significant delay. Once the RPM needle takes off it hesitates a bit more past 5000RPM. But the main problem is just when I take off.

One of the problems I think was that when I use to warm up the bike for about 5 min, I would have the choke completely open for the full 5 min or longer. Since then, I've learned that it is bad to do that. So I think there might just be some gunk somewhere. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
DMTA is still there to my knowledge.
Discount Motorcycle Tire
5405 West 56th Avenue, Unit H
Arvada, CO 80002

Your carbs probably need a good cleaning at this point. Try the pour-in-tank stuff (adjust for quantity to your smaller bike tank), also pick up a can of spray carb cleaner at your local auto parts store. With the bike running, alternate between the intake throats with short bursts. Do this at varied RPM levels. As you learn how much it makes the motor "bog down" you can try slightly longer bursts. You might also try spraying down the throats thoroughly with the bike off to get the crap out of there, then run it.

Do both of these things (spray and in-tank), the in tank stuff will need to cycle for a full tank of gas to really work. If THAT doesn't help, your carbs need to be disassembled and cleaned completely, which TK Motorsports or TFOG can do for you.

metalnicx
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I'm gunna go out now and buy both those things then. After I run the tank through I'll post an update to let whoever wants to read it, to show if it worked or not, but that might be awhile. Thanks again!

Stuart Little
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 06:39 PM
pfft, go ride the entire tank, no matter how cold :)

metalnicx
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM
K, well I just sprayed almost the whole can of carb cleaner in there. Used a little with the engine off, then ran it at various RPM's while spraying in there. I think that may have helped, because after I was almost done, it seemed to be more responsive. However I can't be sure till tommorw cause I can't see anything since it gets dark at 5:30. The only thing I'm having a hard time doing is putting the airfilter box back on. I just can't see, so I'll have to continue tommorw. I thought it just snapped back on but we'll see.

metalnicx
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Oh my GOD! I think this did the trick. Althoguh putting the airfilter box back on was a pain in the ass, this is way more responsive. I think it was mostly do to the carb cleaner, but it doesn't hurt to put in that BG 44K. Although I just got a ticket running down the gas tank, but at least my bikes good to go again. Thanks all for your help and watch out for Cops on Wadsworth and 72nd!

Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 05:35 PM
The exact same thing happened to my wife's SV. Unfortunately it resulted in her looping the bike with some good injuries. She has been afraid to ride since the accident which was June. I have not been able to resolve the running problem. I too will try the carb cleaning route.