PDA

View Full Version : SV or Monster

Airreed
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Well I have just a few weeks left in Iraq, and it’s time to start seriously looking at what bike to purchase…Yes, I’m keeping the RC-51, but will be selling the 929 in the Spring. I want to get a naked bike and want it to be a non 1000cc bike and I will buy used (1-3 years old). I’ve narrowed my choices down to a Suzuki SV 650 (would go full out café racer) and a Ducati Monster.
My initial thoughts:
SV- lots of them for sale on Craigslist and Fleabay / huge aftermarket of parts and accessories / great used price on them / great reliability / would need to purchase better suspension / easy to work on

Monster- going to be a bit harder to find one/ huge aftermarket of parts / Ducati nostalgia / higher maintenance / Termi’s are sexy but $$$/ tubular frame

What are your thoughts? Pro’s and Con’s to each bike.

Thanks,

Mista Black
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
The Duc is a Duc. It's kinda like a Harley: if you have a real passion for one chances are the SV won't fix it.

That said, the SV is a helluva bike. My next planned bike purchase will be an SV650. I have wanted one since they came out. Now that they have one with ABS, I think it's time.

They both rock.

asp_125
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
SV .. I has it! :) Fun for all the reasons you listed. Back to back, however.. the SV650 has more punch than the Ducati 600/620 .. you need to find a 750 to get the same performance. Parts might cost more on a Duc, but basic maintenance is about the same (I had a Duc 750 Sport). But a Duc with Termi's is pure aural sex.

As for cafe, the tube frame Duc and the first gen (round tube) SV's have it in the looks department over the later spar framed SV's.

pilot
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
At 6-4 and 250 the SV can still pull me into a running wheelie from first through second gear in a clutchless upshift--and that from a standing start. I ride the hell out of it (nothing along the lines of a stunter mind you). It does handle very well and is very flickable.

Yesterday, I had the rear tire break away while at near full lean under heavy acceleration. Staying on the gas is very predictable and after using my knee to stabilize the bike it came back to traction and pulled forward nicely. Just a damn shame I wasn't wearing pucks!

I'd say that if you want a bike that you can treat like a toy, wad up, fix and ride again then go for the SV. If you want a symbol, go for the Ducati.

All-in-all, a great bike for the buck. And yes, modify the suspension. Older SVs can have some electrical issues.

PROFLYER
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
If you like working on them as much as riding them--get a Duc. If not, get the SV. The monster is a sweet bike for sure, but after all the stuff I had to keep up with on my 748 and 999 I'll prob never own another Ducati (at least until they put a real valve and timing system in them)

utsv650
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
im biased ;-) but i like both (my SV uncle's Duc)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8V6G5jrs7s0/STQ5sjxBduI/AAAAAAAAAb8/Is0A5_Rpapo/s512/IMG_0228.JPG http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8V6G5jrs7s0/STQ5th2JCTI/AAAAAAAAAcA/cdaMoL7Hq7Y/s640/IMG_0226.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8V6G5jrs7s0/STQ5uguDaII/AAAAAAAAAcE/zo8V_iw-4ZQ/s640/IMG_0225.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8V6G5jrs7s0/STQ5vmkTApI/AAAAAAAAAcI/fIEsAoGMIzk/s640/IMG_0224.JPG

Bat
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
If you want a symbol, go for the Ducati

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Well, my two Ducs are a "bit more" then just a symbol. :slap:

Good gawd, I just love the nonsense people spew out regarding bikes.

You know what, you need to ride an SV and ride the Duc of your preference and make the choice yourself. Owners of each kind of bike can give you their opinions and even non-owners can give you their opinions but in the long run, that means nothing.

Ride 'em and buy the one that moves your soul. :up:

FWIW, I have a 97 750 and an 09 696 and I am a confirmed Duc lover. Maintenance isn't any worse then anything else and can be done yourself if you are willing to learn (same with any other bike). My first time doing valves was on the 750 and it was a cake walk. The handling is suberb, the pick-up always puts a grin on my face, low-end torque makes commuting easy as pie yet they are definitely ready to go when you are. I find the bikes simply beautiful in a raw, sexy, knock your eyes out kind of way. And that Duc growl is a thing of beauty.

I found the bikes that move my soul. Good luck on your quest.

rybo
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm with Bat on this one. I also own two Ducatis and for the most part they've been no more a pain in the ass than any other bike I've owned.

The Duc comes with some really nice bits stock that would cost quite a bit on the SV. The stock suspension on the duc will be a lot nicer than what you'll find on the SV. Brake calipers, rotors, master cylinders will also be quite a bit nicer. Parts aren't outrageously expensive (but sometimes there is a bit of a wait associated with getting them). On top of that we have a fantastic Ducati tuning and performance resource right here in Colorado at Boulder Motorsports.

My experience says don't be shy about the duc. They are well engineered machines that offer a unique motorcycling experience.

s

asp_125
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
+1 for Boulder Motorsports. I had to get a new starter for my Duc 750, it would've been $500 from Italy. But BMS had a 999 starter take-off from their race bike, half the price. IIRC my base 750 had Brembo calipers and inverted forks; can't get that on any SV.