View Full Version : Mystery Exhaust

T-Dub
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I bought a set of slip on headers from ebay. These came off a 1999 GSXR 750. I would like to know what brand they are. They aren't marked anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/WyoBusa/Suki/sliponheader2.jpg

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/WyoBusa/Suki/sliponheader.jpg

Thanks.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Do the springs have rubber guards on them? They look like Yosh to me.

T-Dub
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
No rubber guards. I was thinkin Yoshi too, but I can't find any pics of yoshi headers with the same kind of hooks for the springs. All of the yoshi headers I can find on the net have loops instead of hooks to attach the springs to.

The_Jackel
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Slip on headers?

If you gave some close up shots it would be easier to tell. Mainly a shot of the front of the headers where they mount to the head. Another shot of the welds where they go 2-1.

SaShWhO
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Slip on headers?

:lol::lol::lol:

JOE!!!!!!
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Those are later-style Yoshimura stainless headers for the 600/750 SRAD's (96-99 750, 97-2000 650 GSX-R). I have the same set on my 600+ GSXR racebike. I saw those on ebay myself and was tempted.

T-Dub
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks JOE!!!!. I have a Yoshi pipe coming for them. The ebay add said "Slip on pipe" So it should work I hope. I have never dealt with a slip on system, bolt on only. :think:

Repsolsash, You know what I meant.:rolleyes:

T-Dub
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
JOE!!!!! Do you have any pics of your system on the race bike? I would like to see some so I know what I am in for. Like the springs attached to the pipe, the exhaust hanger, etc. It would really be appreciated. Please post them here or send them to me at Wyobusarydr@hotmail.com Thanks buddy.

JOE!!!!!!
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have a Yoshi pipe coming for them.

You mean exhaust canister? aka "can". Sometimes people list bolt-on cans as "slip-on". Hope you got the correct slip-on coming.

I have the motor out of the bike right now, but I can mock up the system mounting and take some shots for ya. Here's some tips:

-Use new exhaust gaskets
-Use new allen-head bolts on the flanges (the bolts above the spring hooks will have to be drilled for the springs)
-Don't overtighten the flange bolts - 17 ft/lbs is the spec
-The tab on the midpipe might not line up too well with the lug on your frame; if it does, bolt it, if it doesn't, use safety wire

JOE!!!!!!
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Here's the #59 '97 Suzuki GSXR 600+ as it is now, and the reason the motor is apart.

T-Dub
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Holy Crap dude. That sucks. Wish I still had pics of the front of the case when I blew up the 600. That's why I have a 750 now. Detonated the 600, looked like a grenade went off in the front of the motor.

Yes, I did mean canister. I will be pissed if it's a bolt on. The pics weren't that good and I was at work, so I couldn't ask for pics etc. If not, I will resell it and find another. That is the good thing about having two bikes and it being winter. I am in no rush.

Now, when you say, "Use new allen-head bolts on the flanges (the bolts above the spring hooks will have to be drilled for the springs)"

"The bolts above the spring hooks", are those the allen heads that bolt the header onto the head?

"The tab on the midpipe might not line up too well with the lug on your frame; if it does, bolt it, if it doesn't, use safety wire"

Do I not need an exhaust hanger? Like the one that is on the passenger peg, or the aftermarket ones that bolt onto the frame in place of the pass. peg and hang down to bolt the canister strap to?

Sorry so many questions bud, like I said, I have never dealt with any kind of slip-on system. Only bolt-ons. Thanks for all the help.

JOE!!!!!!
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Here's the header flange in position with the spring; a front shot of the headers (note: only #4 flange is in place - it's easy to see that the top bolt in each case would be the one to attach a spring to for that tube); a shot of the can and midpipe on the bike, the hanger is just the original one with the passenger peg cut off, see where the midpipe tab is bolted to the backside of the frame lug? The last 2 pics show this in detail.

T-Dub
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Awesome. Thanks for that. I didn't know I needed to drill holes in the allen heads. I don't think the exhaust canister I am getting has the peice between the mid-pipe and the canister. I know it isn't connected to the mid-pipe. I may have to fab something for that. Geez I hope not. Thanks again JOE that's great.

T-Dub
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Where do I get springs? I only have five springs that came with the header. Where would I get the Yoshi springs with the covers?

JOE!!!!!!
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Um, Yoshimura?

kevplus2
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Where do I get springs? I only have five springs that came with the header. Where would I get the Yoshi springs with the covers?

my yosh system came with bolts with the holes in the heads. you can prob get them from yosh if you dont want to bother drilling your own

T-Dub
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Good point. I should get a set of the bolts and springs since I don't know how old these are. Thanks.

T-Dub
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I looked on the Yoshi site and could not find springs and / or head bolts. I guess they don't sell them in a kit.

JOE!!!!!!
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yosh still sells lots of stuff not shown on the website, you just have to call them.
909 627 9249
800 634 9166

The bolts and springs are pretty much standard items.

T-Dub
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM
well, as I figured would happen, I was sent a bolt on canister instead of a slip on. Is there any way to convert a bolt on to slip on? This is turning into a PITA.

JOE!!!!!!
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Don'tcha just love ebay? I guess you could try to buy the the slip-on end cap from Yosh, but it won't be cheap. You can try to return the bolt-on to the mor-on from ebay, or just sell it yourself.

Here's a thought: measure the oem pipe diameter where it bolts to the can. Will it slip over or inside the Yosh midpipe? If it does, cut the oem pipe end off so there's 2.5" bolted to the can, there's your "slip-on."

T-Dub
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I don't have a bolt on mid-pipe, or that would be a good thought. So, I think I will just sell it myself on the ebay. Freakin' moron seller. I looked for more slip on pipes, and a lot of them have bolt on ends. I guess a lot of people don't know the difference. dang it.