PDA

View Full Version : HID conversions?

asp_125
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
I found a lead on some "cheap" HID headlight kits. There is a lot of talk on the BMW forums about them. http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Anyone have experience with HIDs on regular headlights before? By regular I mean non-projector beam. Like the H4 I have on my SV. I have heard that the reflectors on normal lamps mess up the beam and causes glare for oncoming drivers. I want more light but not at the cost of blinding oncoming traffic. If so I will just go get a set of Silverstars for $20 or so.

I may put one on the Gixxer, b/c I *think* the low beam is a projector bulb.

t_jolt
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
you are correct. the glare is horrible and in fact can even blind drivers. If you can mount them in a projector housing and get it set so that you have a clean line with the light then you would be ok. But that costs money, and most arnt willing to do that

PhL0aTeR
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
If you are considering HID, find one that says "retrofit" instead of "conversion". The retrofitted ones most likely come with their own reflector thats designed for that type of bulb.... if you get a generic conversion kit, you will more than likely not be as satisfied.