PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Booster?

Mother Goose
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Is there something I can get from Microcenter/Radio Shack that will boost the wireless signal? I get free wireless from the leasing office and right now it's at about 50%. I'd like to be able to boost that signal in my apartment so I get a better connection for my PS3. Is there something I can buy to do that? And yes, this is legal signal I'm getting, they give us the password and everything. :p

Slacker
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Radio Shack used to have the wireless extender/repeaters. There are also wifi antennas that boost the signal... But I have not used them so I couldn't recommend anything.

pilot
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
You may want to check with the office and see if they have their signal boosted up. I've used the wireless booster antennas in the past and found them to be more of a hassle than I could stand. But, newer, better stuff is out now.

Mother Goose
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Would they have to connect those on their end? Or would it just be in mine?

PhL0aTeR
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I use an amplified antenna, and i bought one for my grandmother too, and it gave about 50-75% improvements in both cases....

These are exactly the types of antennas I use (http://cgi.ebay.com/WIFI-WI-FI-9DB-BOOSTER-SMA-WIRELESS-LAN-LONG-ANTENNA_W0QQitemZ330291458973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCO MP_HN_Network_Adapters?hash=item330291458973&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50), (Possibly even the same seller?) and one of them is mounted on the outside of my 5th wheel and has been for about a year.

EDIT: to answer your other question, i just did it on my end, but im sure if they allowed one on their end it wouldnt hurt.

pilot
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
This would be better answered by a network's wireless administrator, but I'll try to give it a whirl.

First, attempt to open a Help File through your Wireless icon which should be located ion the tray near the clock (same place as things like power, program apps, etc show an icon. Browse around the help box in the search mode and try typing in something like, "Signal." Read up a bit and see what you find.

Then, in your Control Panel click on Network Connections. Then right click on Wireless Network Connections. Select Properties. Select the Configure button. This should open a window with several tabs: General, Advanced, Power Management, Drivers, the usual. The Advanced tab should hold several options on how the wireless operates. Compare the Help notes to the options and change only one item at a time, if it appears that would increase your signal strength. Take notes if you need to. Nothing worse than going through several subset apps just to not remember how to get to them later.

Most wireless base systems that plug into a cable modem or the like have programs that the user can adjust for sensitivity and signal strength. This helps keep nosy eyes from prying at wireless networks be they open or secured.

The person that works on the office computer should know how to adjust/check their signal output.

Hopefully, someone else will provide you with a clearer bit of assistance in this matter. But hey, I tried:santa:

TurboGizzmo
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Before you go out and spend millions, can their wireless router be moved for better signal strength???

slayermd
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Couldnt you just get another router and set it up as a bridge?

kevplus2
Wed Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Couldnt you just get another router and set it up as a bridge?

if the signal is weak to his wireless adapter, the same signal will be weak to ay router he adds. although a router may have better reception than his wireless adapter, it would be cheaper and just as efficient to add a booster.

i say hack their router and load custom ddwrt firmware on it. then boost the output power :eyebrows: