PDA

View Full Version : Ima blubbering idiot...

mtnairlover
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Ok so don't watch if you don't like watching the kindness of people...

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=105183&catid=188

I only clicked on it, cuz I like to hear good stories...considering all the crap on a daily basis.

Anyhoo...wiping up my drenched eyes and gettin back to work. Hope you all have a lovely day and are safe and warm and not driving around in this mess.

asp_125
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Saw it on the news last night. There are good people left in the world.

Devaclis
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
You are a blubbering idiot. Not a bad thing, I am too! :)

Good story :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'm just an idiot, does that count?:)

Mental
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm happy the news bothered to report it. These acts happen more than most peaple know, and due to the humble nature of folks who do them, we rarely hear about it.

Sully
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I liked the comment someone made about this sign being posted -

"No one ever became poor by giving"..

Ghost
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
There are good people left in the world.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be eliminated soon.

frank2
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I like! Are we counting? part.

mtnairlover
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I just had a brainstorm!

So you know how more people seem to behave badly the more stories about celebs behaving badly gets in the news? How about a national experiment where for a long time (not just one day, or one newscast), stories about ordinary people doing good, whatever that good happens to be, gets played up in the news....making those ordinary people a kind of hero...a kind of role model. That ordinary people become the new celebrity. And don't focus on just one ordinary person each time, but seek out different people for each news cast and highlight their good deeds.

I wonder if by highlighting the good in this nation for a long while if that would change the national public self-image and in a sense make more people seek out doing good deeds.

(yes, I know Ima dreamer, but dreamin' doesn't cost me a damn thing)

Ghost
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I just had a brainstorm!

So you know how more people seem to behave badly the more stories about celebs behaving badly gets in the news? How about a national experiment where for a long time (not just one day, or one newscast), stories about ordinary people doing good, whatever that good happens to be, gets played up in the news....making those ordinary people a kind of hero...a kind of role model. That ordinary people become the new celebrity. And don't focus on just one ordinary person each time, but seek out different people for each news cast and highlight their good deeds.

I wonder if by highlighting the good in this nation for a long while if that would change the national public self-image and in a sense make more people seek out doing good deeds.

(yes, I know Ima dreamer, but dreamin' doesn't cost me a damn thing)

Sadly, ratings would plummet.

The reason they air the occasional "warm fuzzy" is simply because it's rare. If it were a daily occurrence, no one would watch.

The Player (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000377/): We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.

Guildenstern (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000619/): Is that what people want?

The Player (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000377/): It's what we do.

Pandora-11
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
There are tons of great people in the world...., but the problem is that goodness isn't valued as it should be. People who try to have values are called pious, pompous, self-righteous, are called names, and are take advantage of. That's why most people stay to themselves, stay humble, and stories about them rarely make headlines. I work next to a man who is a true gentleman, true blue, and golden...but the ones who get the attention are the loud mouth jerks who wouldn't know gentlemanly behavior if it kicked them in the teeth .....or reach out to help someone unless there's something in it for them. Don't want to sound cynical....it just seems as if my trust in human nature is not what it used to be. I've been robbed twice in five months...once in my home and once from my car.....but it really is just stuff.

mtnairlover
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sigh...I know...

but one last thought...a major shift is needed...humans depend on it...

Pandora-11
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Love that idealism!...keep it coming!

mtnairlover
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm full of it, too;-)

kalibra
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Very good story,it is so rare anymore though.It's sad...

asp_125
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Stories like this put things in perspective on how fortunate we are. Makes posting about bikes and HDTVs kind of trivial. A lot of these selfless acts of compassion happen daily, if you truly want them to happen you just do it. Most will probably not make the news, and while it might not make a big difference to you, for the person you affect it could mean the world.

mtnairlover
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM
... A lot of these selfless acts of compassion happen daily, if you truly want them to happen you just do it...

:up::yes:

asp_125
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Sorry Cath, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy last night.. I'm over it now. ;)

mtnairlover
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
:lol:...only in the world of the CSC...