PDA

View Full Version : Contingency

ttowles
Mon Dec 13th, 2004, 10:27 PM
OK, I have never finished in the top 20 in a race other than Sportsman.

I MAY finish in the top 10 in a race or two in Mod Vintage U this year.

I really doubt if there is any contingency $ available to me, but, I thought I would ask.
Does anyone know?
I am not tied to any product. I'll whore my bike, body or van for money.
I race a 95 F3.

My hand is out. I am sitting on the curb with a sign that says
"EverYoNe nEEds hElP soMetimES" or "wILL kINda-RAce for $"

tt

BlueDevil
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM
http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=contingency

Anonymous
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Well, some products pay and some don't. Use what ya use but consider that, just keep the stickers on your bike for whatever does pay. If you place where you'd get it, just fill out the form. It's not like you gotta fill it all out in advance.

Devil954
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I used to have the same thoughts as you Todd I was not doing so well but at the end of this season I felt like I learned quite a bit , just keep cracking away at it commit yourself to doing one thing better every time you ride at the track I asked for pointers all season from people I was riding around and it helped out alot, I actually won tire money twice and went from the mid 1:20's at SCR down to averaging 13's and 14's even hit a low 12 once :lol: if you focus on what you want to do and ask for enough help you will over time get where you want to be if you set reasonable goals , Keep filling out those forms you never know what can happen

ttowles
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys.

Ralph, actually I thought I had to pre-register or something for contingency $. Hmmm.

So, basically, just put all the stickers I can find on my bike and see what happens.

TT

Anonymous
Tue Dec 14th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Provided you actually USE the product you're trying to get contingency for, yes. All stickers are available at pre-tech. But don't put it on there and fill out the form if you use some other brand (i.e. trying to get EBC contingency when you use Performance Friction brakes, for example). When you get caught you will be smacked harder than a red-headed step child. You have to actually run the product you're getting money for in the race you qualify for contingency in.

Anonymous
Wed Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
VP fuel pays contingency to 1st, 3rd, 5th and 10th. This is incentive for people other than the front-runners to use their product. I've collected VP money for 1st, 5th, and 10th (once each). I had a few 9th & 11th place finishes, and even a 6th place finish, but that doesn't pay. Was it worth it? Financially, no - I spent $50/weekend on VP fuel, and only got $75 in contingency. You do the math. :| Did it give me extra points? Possibly, but I'm not 100% sure. I practiced on pump gas and turned pretty quick times. I'm not sure how much it actually helped. With money being as tight as it is right now, I'm not planning on running anything but pump gas in 2005... that is, assuming I can even afford to race. :|

If you place where you'd get it, just fill out the form. It's not like you gotta fill it all out in advance.

That's not my impression. Although it's not published in the rulebook, management (at least last years) wants contingency forms turned in well before the end of the day (Sunday). To me, this means in advance (or at least before the first race of the day) - get it over with, then it's just 1 less thing to worry about during or after raceday. And if you place in your first race and crash in a subsequent one, you don't have to worry abou it.

ttowles
Sun Dec 26th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Maybe Glenn, or someone (Glenn? Tony? Dave G?) very familiar with Contingency signup, rules, how it works, why do it, how specifically and when to do it could post something and we could make it a sticky.
Maybe it's simple, but It seems a lot more involved than I realize.

Is it:
1. Do I use product x?
2 If yes,
---2a fill out form before racing and turn it in to pre-tech
---2b place sticker on bike
---2c is that all?
3. If I place within their top x riders, mail another copy of the form in? Or is it a different form??

Devil954
Sun Dec 26th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Just grab all of the forms from pre-tech as well as the stickers of the products you are using fill them out put the stickers on your bike and turn them in to the contingency box at pre-tech some of the forms have to be aknowleged and signed bye the trackside vendor so if you are using VP fuel fill out the form and have Bart or Brian sign it before you turn it in . It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to fill a few of them out . One plus to using Michelin tires is you only fill out one form give it to Tammy and she will track your results for the season :up:

Anonymous
Sun Dec 26th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Todd - Only you know what products you use. That information already exists, go here:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=contingency

If there is contingency for something you use, go get the form and any stickers you might need from pretech, and take the time to read the things. Please do not expect everyone to hold your hand, if you haven't at least done that much. Once you go to the information already put online and read through the forms, please feel free to ask Tony or a rider rep any questions you might have. :)

Goofy
Mon Dec 27th, 2004, 12:13 AM
It takes like zero work to fill out the forms and be "compliant" with the contingency requirements for most vendors, provided you actually use their products, so what the hell. Just do it! My personal experience is that most of us aren't racing to make a living, but it's always nice to get help, even if it's a little bit, for the hobby we're doing anyways. This is especially true when it gets later in the season where even average guys can collect enough to cover gas, tires, or basic maintenance that's needed anyway.

-goofy

Anonymous
Mon Dec 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
some of the forms have to be aknowleged and signed bye the trackside vendor...

Most forms have to be signed by a tech inspector before they are turned in - the ones that are good for all year are cool - Pit Bull is like that. 8)

It does take some time to fill them out. In addition to the 1 Pit Bull one I filled out on the first race weekend, I filled out 4 every week: Bridgestone, Silkolene, VP Fuels, Intuitive.

Can anyone confirm that we can submit photocopies of the original forms (so we can fill out all the information that won't change, and just fill-in the date & classes? I think I remember somebody saying we can, but I'm not sure if it's official.

hcr25
Mon Dec 27th, 2004, 09:09 AM
All you need to do is fill out 1 of each form.Leave the date and track portion blank.Make 10 copies then fill in the date and track portion for each of the 10 events.This is what we have done for years.
Mike

Anonymous
Tue Dec 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Awesome - thanks Mke! 8) :up: