Interesting times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/sports/othersports/06grandprix.html

Mac020
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
WoW!

PsychoMike
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
and audi out of le mans. crazy

honda is going to pull out of motogp. LONG LIVE KAWI!!!

madvlad
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Dang, ain't that some sh!t lol..... I wonder what they'll focus on more now.

Mental
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Never saw that coming

salsashark
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Given their standings last year and the bottom line of F1, I can't say I'm surprised... Audi out of Le Mans on the other hand... that's surprising.

pannetron
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Audi NA pulled out of the ALMS series; did Audi Europe pull out of the *real* Lemans race, too? As for Honda in F1, they never regained the success they enjoyed during the turbo era. Do you wonder if it really is the "global economic crisis" that motivated their pullout?

303Lurch
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I think they used the economy as an excuse to get out... "Save Face" and all that Japanese stuff. Now that IRL and Champ car are back together there could be good upside for the Honda only motor championship series. Plus the Indy 500 still gets big PR. Not the NASCAR PR but still big for the amount of money Honda has to spend on the series.

I think NASCAR sucked this year, F1 was the best ever (championship determined on the last corner of the last lap of the last race), and IRL has potential once again. I can only hope it will be like the CART series in the 1990's!

Mental
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I dunno if I buy the "save face" aurgument. I mean they have been in F1 since the mid-60s and have had some bad seasons for a while. What they haven't ever seen is a serious market share loss. They are engineers and competitors, but beyond that, they are serious economists.

303Lurch
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Maybe... but their last winning season in F1 was with Williams in the 90's. I think Button got a win 2 years ago. It could also be the one engine cosworth deal that Mosley is pushing as well in 2010. I hope that does not go through. We already have that with A1GP and IRL.

The time of manufacturers racing to improve passenger car is mostly gone. It's all about branding and marketing. I think they are tired of sucking in F1 and they are guaranteed a win every week in the new IRL format.

RF900guy
Fri Dec 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Honda has left F1. You could almost see it coming considering where they have finished for the past seasons. There is talk about Toyota possibly pulling out of F1 as well. Both of these teams have not had good finishes for quite some time. I really can see how Redbull has 4 teams and stays in F1.

Until Acura started running in the Lemans series, Audi really didn't have any competition.

303Lurch
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I thought it was pretty transparent when Honda killed Super Aguri's backing. Super Aguri was running Honda's motors better than Honda. It screamed bad blood.

Making and selling Redbull must be like printing money. I almost feel guilty for not drinking it when they sponsor so many sporting events that I like.

Mental
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Oh no doubt Toyota will leave F1. Ford and Chevy rivalry has nothing on Toyota and Honda. I am waiting for Honda to go into NASCAR just becuase they love to go at it with Toyota.

TheStig
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Audi NA pulled out of the ALMS series; did Audi Europe pull out of the *real* Lemans race, too? As for Honda in F1, they never regained the success they enjoyed during the turbo era. Do you wonder if it really is the "global economic crisis" that motivated their pullout?

From what I read they did pull out of both ALMS and the Europe series as well.

As for Honda, hopefully they will be back:(.

TFOGGuys
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Dang, ain't that some sh!t lol..... I wonder what they'll focus on more now.

Surviving the recession? :dunno: