PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Vista *64* bit DVD?

Clovis
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm wondering if anyone here in the Springs happens to have a Vista Home Premium *64* bit DVD (not the 32bit). From what I understand, if you have the DVD, you have all versions.

Here's my problem; last year I purchased 2 OEM copies of Vista Home Premium 32 bit for the two gaming rigs (my wife and I have identical machines).

Now my needs have exceded what the 32 bit vista can provide, namely I want to expand to 8gb of RAM but vista 32 is caped at 3.25gb (I currently have 4 which isn't fully utilized).

Microsoft offers to mail "alternative software", namely the 32 or 64 bit DVD but you are required to provide the product key and it has to be a retail product key, not OEM/System Builder's product key, hence my problem.

This would suggest that in order to change an OEM vista from 32 to 64 (or visa versa) microsoft wants you to spend another $120 to repurchase the software for the same machine, nice huh? However, some people (on vista forums) have suggested that a fresh install can be activated again with the previously used 32bit machine, on a 64 bit install provided the motherboard is the same. If not, then not then worse case I can run vista unactivated for 30 days which gives me time to rebuy a new copy of 64.

But anyhow, my question is - If someone has the windows Vista 64 bit OS, DVD, could I borrow it for the weekend? I can return it within a day or the same day. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Clovis (my number is listed below)

Bertha
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
i know someone who has one laying around... (me)

It's not Vista's fault it can not address anything over 3.25GB it's just how 32bit software works.