PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fixing a Chopper

DavidofColorado
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
My bro just got a chopper that looks like the ones they make on American Chopper. He got if from WI. and it looks amazing.

Its having an issue where it dies while riding and it acts like it runs out of gas. He has only filled it up twice in the last 2 months. Its also very cold blooded. The choke has to be on for a long time before it will idle.

He won't let me touch it so I thought I could offer him a few suggestions of where to take it to get it tuned. Or if you have something that he could try to see if it helps let me know. It sounds like a carb problem, like clogged jet or filter?

Thanks in advance.

David

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/1104/vengeancyf3.jpg (http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vengeancyf3.jpg)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3526/venge001ts0.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=venge001ts0.jpg)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/176/venge000zs9.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=venge000zs9.jpg)

(http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=venge000gb8.jpg)

Sortarican
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
...offer him a few suggestions of where to take it to get it tuned. Or if you have something that he could try to see if it helps let me know. It sounds like a carb problem, like clogged jet or filter?

What motor and carbs does it have?

Could also be a bad petcock or fuel supply line.
He could try getting some new fuel line hook it directly to the carbs and feed it gas (through a funnel or other tank if he has one) bypassing the tank/line/filter and see if it runs OK.
If it doesn't then it's probably the jets or floats.

A friend of mine that used to work for several shops (mainly harleys) just started up a new shop with a partner.
I'll get his info and post it up.

And of course you can't go wrong with Jim/TFOG.

T-Dub
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
What Sortarican said. I would say pinched fuel line.

DavidofColorado
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
What motor and carbs does it have?

Could also be a bad petcock or fuel supply line.
He could try getting some new fuel line hook it directly to the carbs and feed it gas (through a funnel or other tank if he has one) bypassing the tank/line/filter and see if it runs OK.
If it doesn't then it's probably the jets or floats.

A friend of mine that used to work for several shops (mainly harleys) just started up a new shop with a partner.
I'll get his info and post it up.

And of course you can't go wrong with Jim/TFOG.

I think its a v twin s and s 113 and I don't know what the carb is.

I gave him TFOG's number and said that he would call. And also he said trying to by pass the tank might help. He said some of the problem with it running out of gas happened when he was switch the petcock from res to on.

He is getting me a picture to post up too.

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Anymore ideas from the collective brain?

rybo
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I believe the collective brain above is on the mark. It seems fuel related, so I'd look at pinched line, fuel filter, clogged petcock etc. This is the easy stuff.

If all of that turns out to not be right, then i'd start looking at carb float level and varnishing inside (clogged jets). Sometimes you can diagnose a clogged pilot jet by getting it to that point that it seems like it's running out of gas and opening the throttle wide open. If the engine picks back up (as it comes onto the main jet) then you know you're getting close.

Anyways...best regards

-CB

(btw, "Frankly I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting")

salsashark
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
:dunno:

http://www.goldenrodwelding.ca/images/DSC00006.JPG

ok, all kidding aside, sounds like a fuel delivery problem... Start at the tank and work down like stated above.

200sr20
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Don't tell anyone I said this but Jeff is right........

Also with it being a big inch air cooled V-twin at this altitude it will always be a little cold blooded no matter how well its tuned.

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Don't tell anyone I said this but Jeff is right........

Also with it being a big inch air cooled V-twin at this altitude it will always be a little cold blooded no matter how well its tuned.
Jeezus, you want to keep that down? We start letting Jeff think he's right and we'll never get him to stop struting. :slappers:

And I will tell him to try opening up the main jet thing see if that helps.
When I was riding with him, he acted like it ran out of gas and he pulled over. It started back up and then he topped the tank off. We split up and he said it happened again on the ride home. His best option now if the main jet thing doesn't pan out is to take it to Jim. Jim can wave his magic wand over it and make all better.

BTW he thought I was mocking him but I was paying him a compliment when we left a stop he took off like a bat out of hell and I litterly had to open my throttle half way to catch up. I never do that! I usually ride with the throttle an 1/8 or 1/4 way open. That thing is fast. But now that I think about it, it is kinda funny.:)

ETA: I meant hive mind not collective brain. Sorry about dat!

PhL0aTeR
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
He said some of the problem with it running out of gas happened when he was switch the petcock from res to on.

Does it have enough gas in it?

PROFLYER
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Guys, that's an american ironhorse texas chopper. They are very very prone to problems. The brain of the bike could be going out, the voltage regulator could be shot...the stator. There are a number of things. The first thing to check is to make sure you're getting regular ignition, the super G carb that's on the 113 S&S is bulletproof, the pingle petcock is the best made and unless there is an inline fuel filter I highly doubt fuel delivery is the issue. The sad thing is that AIH went under almost a year ago, finding parts is on his dime as the warranty is null.

If you're in denver take it to Euromotion. They're the ones that work on my Big Dog chopper and they sell Bourget as well. They should be able to trouble shoot the scoot. If you're up North Sanger's in Ft Collins is the best. It could be a number of things sadly....good lookin bike though.

Does it keep a charge? If so the stator is good. The voltage regs can go on the fritz however and work, then quit, then work etc. They're a pain in the ass.

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Does it have enough gas in it?
Yeah, he topped it off and it did it again on the ride home. He is going to take it to Jim. I so want some swagg next time I'm in there.

PhL0aTeR
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, he topped it off and it did it again on the ride home. A full tune up should help.

but it runs flawlessly when its on reserve?

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
but it runs flawlessly when its on reserve?
I don't know? I think he switched it back over after we left the gas station. He very well could have?

PhL0aTeR
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
sorry, im just assuming that by your statement of it giving him problems when he switched from "reserve" to "on"

Sortarican
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Jeezus, you want to keep that down? We start letting Jeff think he's right and we'll never get him to stop struting. :slappers:

What can I say? You want to know about dinosaurs......ya go to a fossil.

Jim should have it purring in no time.

...... They're a pain in the ass.

All good points to check.
But hopefully it's the easier fuel issue and he doesn't end up chasing electrical ghost.
Most hated diagnostics are intermittent electical issues.:banghead:

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM
sorry, im just assuming that by your statement of it giving him problems when he switched from "reserve" to "on"

No problem. I just don't know? I will have to ask him when I see him later.

PROFLYER
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
What can I say? You want to know about dinosaurs......ya go to a fossil.

Jim should have it purring in no time.

All good points to check.
But hopefully it's the easier fuel issue and he doesn't end up chasing electrical ghost.
Most hated diagnostics are intermittent electical issues.:banghead:
Very true, my buddy's was a nightmare, we replaced the stator (first issue) but when it went out it shorted the "brain" which was simple to replace but was 400 bucks on egay....it's too bad, they're nice enough bikes, I just hope this cat got a sick deal, mine was over 45k in 06 and is worth about 20k right now...now that you can't refi the house people (most) quit buying!

DavidofColorado
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I will have to post an update when he gets it back from the shop. He says he doesn't want to mess with it with the weather so crappy.

PhL0aTeR
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I will have to post an update when he gets it back from the shop. He says he doesn't want to mess with it with the weather so crappy.

that confuses me..... isnt crappy weather specifically made for maintenance and repair? :crazy:

T-Dub
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
that confuses me..... isnt crappy weather specifically made for maintenance and repair? :crazy:

Took the words right out of my mouth. :scream1:

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM
He maybe just putting it off?