PDA

View Full Version : gp shifting

caddygsxr
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm changing the gsxr to gp shifting tomorrow :)

slayermd
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Are you already used to it?

caddygsxr
Mon Dec 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM
ive only been riding two years so i will get used to it

rybo
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I'm changing the gsxr to gp shifting tomorrow :)

Any particular reason why? Not trying to discourage you from doing something you want to, but why change it if it's working? I standard shift on both the street and the racebike and have come across like one instance EVER where I thought reversing it would have been a good idea. In that case if I had made a proper gear selection before entering the corner it wouldn't have been an issue.

McVaaahhh
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
:imwithstupid:

What really sucks is when you change it to gp and your accelerating at a good clip and you forget you changed it and knock it down a gear instead of up. :banghead:

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Any particular reason why? Not trying to discourage you from doing something you want to, but why change it if it's working? I standard shift on both the street and the racebike

Same here.

Dirk

DevilsTonic
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
:imwithstupid:

What really sucks is when you change it to gp and your accelerating at a good clip and you forget you changed it and knock it down a gear instead of up. :banghead:Yea that definately sucks, I did that a few times trying to get used to it. I like it better with reverse shift though, it seems more fluid when doing clutchless upshifts, etc.

McVaaahhh
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I did that on my zx7 going down the front straight at Pueblo. The cornerworker found me later and asked me why I locked my rear brake that early. :D

konichd
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have used GP shift for years, much easier with my big feet to accelerate kicking down then trying to pull up. Combine that with a slipper clutch I can lazily dump it down into first gear and slowly let the clutch out when down shifting.

I have to admit though all of our rental bikes are standard shift and it takes me a little time to get use to standard again. Almost found out a R6 will wheelie pretty good on the Toy Run by accident :) For me though GP shift seems more "natural" and I always thought thats the way it should have been.

Take your time and get use to it. Also Spiderman made a good suggestion of putting a "GP shift" sticker on your dash as a helpful reminder.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I did that on my zx7 going down the front straight at Pueblo. The cornerworker found me later and asked me why I locked my rear brake that early. :D

I almost had a similar situation on the Gixxer going into turn 5 at Pueblo when I discovered that the Gixxer didn't have a slipper clutch. I dumped the clutch on a downshift and the back end got pretty squirrely. I was so used to racing the Interceptors which, although ~25 years old, do have slipper clutches and I just never thought about it much. On the Gixxer I think about it. :)

Dirk

madvlad
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I ride gp shifting since the beginning of summer and I actually like it better than the traditional shifting. It all depends on your riding style after all.

newyork1
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I would only ride a bike with GP now. It makes more sense to me. :harrrrr:

Titus
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0809_reverse_shift_pattern/index.html

Sortarican
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Main reason I like GP on the track is that I seem to miss the upward shift movement more than then downward.
With GP a miss-shift leaves me in too high going in rather than dropping it too low and locking the rear.

+1 on it crossing you up if you ride bikes with both patterns.
But you usually only screw it up pulling out for the first time.
Though I have had panic stopping situations where I instincively went for the standard pattern on a GP setup.

McVaaahhh
Tue Dec 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
My R6 was set up with GP shift when I got it, and I tried it on the track and liked it. So, as to not confuse myself I switched my RC so they are both GP shift and that way I never have to think about it...