PDA

View Full Version : Any time you think you have it bad..

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
If at some point you think having to cut back on Starbucks this week, or even getting down to your college roots and snacking on Ramen is a major hurdle in life, I recommend you read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7771184.stm

It isn't technically hell in the metaphysical sense, but it sounds pretty damn close!

Sorta puts things in perspective.

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
No offense to you Ralph, but times are hard for a lot of people here and I am not going to feel guilty because I don't feel bad for them. I am a few dollars away from homelessness as it is.

Liberal/Yuppie guilt doesn't work on me.

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
:wtf: Why would this get locked? It's my thread. :slap:

Devaclis
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
This is not to be synacle at all, but with a population that size, why is nobody doing ANYTHING about it? Really? Not 1 person there knows how to fix a burst pipe? Clean out a toilet, fix a broken pump, get a wagon and cary the trash to a safe location? Is this a country 100% reliant on others to take care of them? don't think of me as heartless, I am not. I am really concerned for these people. What is it EXACTLY that is preventing them from NOT simmering in a pot of their own stew?

I hope things get better there for all of them. What a horrible way to live/die.

dallas
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
It seems the areas that don't suffer from hunger as much have the highest percentage of people infected with cholera.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
It is that way because nobody gives a shit about Africa.

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
The way I understand it, and granted I have limited knowledge of the situation, is that people are so desperate that basic aspects of survival are almost more than they can handle. Fixing a pipe requires materials. Carrying trash requires energy you need food to have.

I think their government is so corrupt that it has resulted in total economic collapse, and this is the result. Basic services shut down, and famine and health crisis end up happening. People are so focused on trying to stay alive (and failing at it en masse) that the other things which help a populace thrive have been abandoned.

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Anyway, whether you give a shit about Africa or not, the point of this thread was to consider how it could be the next time you get that "my life is so hard" feeling. This isn't some "help the starving kids" crusade, just a philosophical tangent on a Wednesday morning.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Mugabe is a total dick. The guy needs to be capped and fed to the fishes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/643737.stm

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The point here was not to solve Africa's problems, analyze their situation, or feel guilty for a comparatively opulant life. Ralph's just trying to provide some perspective here. Times are tough. The economy sucks. People are getting laid off left & right. But we're not dying of cholera, dysentary, or hunger. A bit of perspective can make a tough situation more manageable and that's really all that this thread is about.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Watching "The Long Way Down" gave me a bit of a different perspective on Africa. I DO think that a LOT of countries are trying hard to help out. The people who live there seem to be very willing to accept the help and try to make their lives better. The tribal disputes and military death grips on unarmed people is ridiculous.

If they do not take action to quell or stop these disputes and military action, they will live like this forever.

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
The point here was not to solve Africa's problems, analyze their situation, or feel guilty for a comparatively opulant life. Ralph's just trying to provide some perspective here. Times are tough. The economy sucks. People are getting laid off left & right. But we're not dying of cholera, dysentary, or hunger. A bit of perspective can make a tough situation more manageable and that's really all that this thread is about.

:up:

Big-J
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM

:imwithstupid:

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
If they do not take action to quell or stop these disputes and military action, they will live like this forever.

Or at least until they all die from it!

mtnairlover
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Anyway, whether you give a shit about Africa or not, the point of this thread was to consider how it could be the next time you get that "my life is so hard" feeling. This isn't some "help the starving kids" crusade, just a philosophical tangent on a Wednesday morning.

And a good tangent it is.

I'll have my moments of feeling like "this shit sucks ass...why the fuck doesn't (a particular person) give a fuck about his own children...you'd think that since he's a parent, he'd give a flying fuck..." and on and on. But, then I finish my whining and moaning and move on, cuz honestly...things could be a lot worse.

So, thanks for the reminder.:)

Devaclis
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
My life sucks so bad I wish everyone had to endure it.

Great friends

Awesome family

Nice job and home

More toys than I will ever deserve.

I woke up alive this morning, so I have that goin' for me.

Yeah, why don't all you people try living with all that crap for a week? Yeah, it sucks.

~Barn~
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
<snip...>people are so desperate that basic aspects of survival are almost more than they can handle. Fixing a pipe requires materials. Carrying trash requires energy you need food to have.

... Basic services shut down, and famine and health crisis end up happening.

...People are so focused on trying to stay alive...

Well put, Ralph. Thank you for spelling it out for the Cliffs Notes set. ;)

Big-J
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I am a few dollars away from homelessness as it is.

Im not surprised, you are retarded. :)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I applaud Ralph for bringing this to our collective attention. In these difficult times, and with the upcoming holiday season that is upon us, I encourage all of you to seek out the charity of your choice and give them something. Time, money, monetary items. It might make you feel better and will most definitely make them feel better that you did. My $0.02.

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Anyway, whether you give a shit about Africa or not, the point of this thread was to consider how it could be the next time you get that "my life is so hard" feeling. This isn't some "help the starving kids" crusade, just a philosophical tangent on a Wednesday morning.Right on Rforsythe. I just can't remember the last time I thought things were going great? I like am sick of noodles myself. I have tried every recipe that I know of to make them more palatable and its not good enough anymore.

I will remember this the next time I am on a roll and I will remember to stay humble.

mtnairlover
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I applaud Ralph for bringing this to our collective attention. In these difficult times, and with the upcoming holiday season that is upon us, I encourage all of you to seek out the charity of your choice and give them something. Time, money, monetary items. It might make you feel better and will most definitely make them feel better that you did. My $0.02.

I'm not saying this cuz I need anyone's pity or sympathy, but this season is extremely hard for me and my kids since my ex has decided to stop with child support. I'm upside down each month with monthly bills without it.

Anyhoo...my point? This morning my 11-year-old told me about the canned food drive at her school, so I opened up the cupboard and put a few cans in a bag for her. It's the feeling you get knowing that you are still capable of doing something to make a difference even if your world seems like shit at the moment...cuz, ultimately it still doesn't compare to what others may be going through.

Mother Goose
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Right on Rforsythe. I just can't remember the last time I thought things were going great? I like am sick of noodles myself. I have tried every recipe that I know of to make them more palatable and its not good enough anymore.

I will remember this the next time I am on a roll and I will remember to stay humble.
Come over this weekend, I'll make dinner for you and yours. :up:

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Im not surprised, you are retarded. :)

I guess I could go to your level and sling insults e.g. Kiss my ass, lick my sack. But I think that I will refrain and just not say anything that would ruin this very heartwarming thread that Ralph started with petty bickering.

Ghost
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
No offense to you Ralph, but times are hard for a lot of people here and I am not going to feel guilty because I don't feel bad for them. I am a few dollars away from homelessness as it is.

The illusion between 'Middle Class', 'Poor' and 'Homeless' is thinner than most people think.

Of course, it's too scary for most of those same people to think that they could lose everything and become poor or homeless, so it's natural to go hug your Escalade and use it to reassure yourself that you are, in fact, rich and you're nothing like those (filthy) poor people. It's not a criticism, per se, it's an observation of American life and the power of denial and greed.

-=-
However, all of that merely reinforces my opinion: Fuck Africa, Save America First.

I honestly am far less affected by their plight than I am at our domestic mess. I can't believe that we allow our own citizens to live in conditions just like those in Africa--we're not some poor country with a collapsed socio-economic system, we're not in a continually ongoing civil war, we're not in Mugabe's country, were here, in the USA, and yet we have starving people, people without proper medical care, and people on the streets.

And, before I ever helped anyone overseas, I think we ought to turn our attention to those fellow Americans who need our help:

Salvation Army Turns Away Families Needing Food
DENVER (CBS4) ― The Salvation Army says this is one of the toughest years when it comes to donations. In the past two months, it has had to turn away about 360 families needing food because there hasn't been any.

Donations are always tight around Christmas, but the Salvation Army says it has always had a little something to give. The food boxes it has been able to give away have been downsized, only lasting the families a couple of days rather than several like they used to.

"I need food, even help with getting around because I don't drive," Denver resident Ramona Martinez said. "There are places that give out tokens for the bus, but even those are getting scarce, so I find myself doing a lot of walking."

Also, people who are educated and who had good jobs have been showing up in need of help; people who have never used the Salvation Army before. Most have lost their jobs and haven't been able to find new ones.

Donations are also down 30 percent this year.

"I believe it is the economy, the news, people are holding back, waiting to find out," Major Neal Hogan with the Salvation Army said. "Some have been directly affected, other people are wondering how it's going to effect them. So there's this little side step of uncertainty."

The Salvation Army has teamed up with King Soopers for the month of December. Those who wish to donate can make cash donations by the bell ringers or food donations in the big barrels at the stores.

"People are trying to figure out how much they can help. We've had people step up and say, 'Now don't worry, we want to help, but we don't know how much just yet,'" Hogan said. "They're having to look at their portfolios and their finances before they can make decisions."

http://cbs4denver.com/local/salvation.army.donations.2.882930.html (http://cbs4denver.com/local/salvation.army.donations.2.882930.html)

So, if you have the means, and you're feeling generous and/or can put off that $7 Starbucks, why not help someone over here (possibly right in Denver)first?

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Come over this weekend, I'll make dinner for you and yours. :up:
Thanks man. I think my heart just grew to sizes. Seriously.

Merry Christmas.

Big-J
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I guess I could go to your level and sling insults e.g. Kiss my ass, lick my sack. But I think that I will refrain and just not say anything that would ruin this very heartwarming thread that Ralph started with petty bickering.

:lol::up:

Sorry man, its the things you say that make me think you are indeed retarded. Glad to see you saw this thread for what it is, and not some left wing guilt propaganda.

VFR
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I usually go down to the Goodwill (Here its called something else a Soup Kitchen/Church downtown) and in Florida they only had adults there and it felt good and humbling to see help. The one here allowed homeless families and I saw babies/infants/toddlers and totally screwed me up and made me truely appreciate what I had. I will be taking my 13 year old there for the holidays so she can see that there are people in this world that do not have a tv/computers/game consoles and hopefully gain her som appreciate for them. I know times are tough (even for us military folk) but the last thing I am going to do is bitch. I have more now in life as an adult than my parents could ever offer me in youth so belt tightening to make things work will just have to be done. Better than belt tightening because my pants don't fit because I am not able to eat.

Good post

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not saying this cuz I need anyone's pity or sympathy, but this season is extremely hard for me and my kids since my ex has decided to stop with child support. I'm upside down each month with monthly bills without it.

Anyhoo...my point? This morning my 11-year-old told me about the canned food drive at her school, so I opened up the cupboard and put a few cans in a bag for her. It's the feeling you get knowing that you are still capable of doing something to make a difference even if your world seems like shit at the moment...cuz, ultimately it still doesn't compare to what others may be going through.

My sister is going through the same thing. Deadbeat Dad that refuses to anti-up on any form of child support. Her reasoning to not turn him over to the courts is 'how it will affect the child if I do that'. I say BULL SHIT. The guy needs the noose tightened and the screws turned. There is no reason for her to take the heat on the care of her (and his don't forget) child. God I want to ground and pound the goof.

~Barn~
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
About a month ago, Ceridian (the company I work for), just finished our annual United Way drive, which took place over the course of 2-weeks.

The company as a whole generated ~$1.9M for the cause. My team here in Recruiting Solutions (there is only about 29/30/31 of us), contributed some $9600.

One thing I've found to be mostly true over the years, is that any charity and generosity that I share, comes back to me many times over. I'm very fortunate, and I try to remember it as often as I can.

Mother Goose
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks man. I think my heart just grew to sizes. Seriously.

Merry Christmas.
Seriously though, send me a PM, we'll get something together. Maybe watch the Broncos game on Sunday and grill in the snow. :lol: I'll invite Big-J and we can feed him Ramen instead of burgers. :D

GregsGSXR
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations. If falls under the UK for assistance. Watch BBC sometime and you will see tons of stories about how bad things are there. It is a whole country, with the most natural resources in the world, and some of the worst conditions for their people.

~Barn~
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
<snip...> I'll invite Big-J and we can feed him Ramen instead of burgers. :D

Now that is ga'damn comedy.

mtnairlover
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
My sister is going through the same thing. Deadbeat Dad that refuses to anti-up on any form of child support. Her reasoning to not turn him over to the courts is 'how it will affect the child if I do that'. I say BULL SHIT. The guy needs the noose tightened and the screws turned. There is no reason for her to take the heat on the care of her (and his don't forget) child. God I want to ground and pound the goof.

At this point, it's my two older kids who have told me repeatedly to take him to court...they get it and see what he's done...so damage is already there. It's up to me to take a stand and my kids need to see that I have a backbone and that it's important to stand for what you believe in.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations. If falls under the UK for assistance. Watch BBC sometime and you will see tons of stories about how bad things are there. It is a whole country, with the most natural resources in the world, and some of the worst conditions for their people.

You must have attended the same school as Sarah Palin. :D

dirkterrell
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations.

Yeah, the last time we went there to help I recall Blackhawks being shot down and people dragging the bodies of U.S. soldiers through the streets with everyone cheering them along. It's one reason why we didn't do anything when genocide was happening in Rwanda. I agree with Jeff about Mugabe. He needs to be hung by the neck, along with a bunch of others of his ilk throughout the continent.

Dirk

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
:lol::up:

Sorry man, its the things you say that make me think you are indeed retarded. Glad to see you saw this thread for what it is, and not some left wing guilt propaganda.

No problem. You wart faced buffoon.

Let me just play the advocate for the rich for a second. If you have a lot of material things and you like the bitter coffee at FiveBucks. You have earned it. Enjoy life, take big bites, moderation is for monks. But like Nick Ninja alluded to. Give a little if you have the means. You can spare it right? If you can't no biggy.

But if (god forbid) you hit on hard times nobody will say that you are not noble enough for help yourself, because you were to selfish or greedy to help others when you had extra. If you believe in Karma I mean.

But there are people hurting here in Denver, Colorado too. I think we should take care of ourselves first so we have something to give.

I on the other hand am on the poor side right now since I lost my job and my love nest all in the same week. I was in an accident the other day and my truck is wrecked ( I need a body shop too, but I will start another thread for that. Or PM me) I havn't been able to sleep more than 4 hours without waking up in pain and I don't know if it was the accident or worrying about my next bill? And I need to know if someone has an Escalade that I can hug. But if you are doing ok right now don't feel guilty about it embrace it and be happy. I would if I were you. And give to a charity of your choice.

Ok rant over.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
<snip>
I on the other hand am on the poor side right now since I lost my job and my love nest all in the same week. <snip>I need to know if someone has an Escalade that I can hug.<snip> <

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony in these two statements?:D

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Nevermind let me see if he's making fun first.

Sortarican
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM

LOL, I think that was his point.:lol:

VFR's comment about taking his kids down to volunteer is a great life lesson to give a child.:applause:
Teaches them about community service as well as what can happen to any one of use under bad circumstances.

I've been homeless and hungry before.
It built a hell of a lot more character in me than being fat and happy ever did.

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
cheap shot.

Sortarican
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Nevermind let me see if he's making fun first.

I think he is.
As in "need an Escalade to hug cause I lost my lovenest(lover)".

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
cheap shot.

Hey furball. Go turn on Glenn Beck --- You'll be fine after a dose of Beck.

GregsGSXR
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I dont have college....

dirkterrell
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I've been homeless and hungry before.
It built a hell of a lot more character in me than being fat and happy ever did.

Likewise.

Dirk

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I think he is.
As in "need an Escalade to hug cause I lost my lovenest(lover)".

Good. I guess I would have to read Vicka's before I knew what he was talking about.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have lived under a bridge with my mom and sister. it sucks. Your pride will make you do stupid stuff. I have begged for food at fast food chains and dug through dumpsters so my sister could eat while my mom was out looking for any job she could find. We had really nice people help us out. You don't understand how that makes you feel when you have nothing. I would take a bullet for those people.

I had a chance to see one of the families who helped us when we needed it, after I graduated college. They were STILL going to shelters and food banks and giving what they could to help people out. You can't take the good out of people like that.

puckstr
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Goddamn you Sally Struthers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/311_sallys.jpeg/180px-311_sallys.jpeg

DavidofColorado
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Goddamn you Sally Struthers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/311_sallys.jpeg/180px-311_sallys.jpeg
Hmmmm, chocolate num nums.

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hey furball. Go turn on Glenn Beck --- You'll be fine after a dose of Beck.
Go turn on commie news network and get your obamanation fix.

Look he's taking a crap & they're covering it! ooooohhhh! /sarcasm.

puckstr
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
How 'bout you get BEER donations and delivery it to my place

In CANS only

Ghost
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
How 'bout you get BEER donations and delivery it to my place

In CANS only

Put those with the boxes of wine?

rforsythe
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Stop posting in this thread about the food drive guys, it has its own now:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27839

Wyck
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. Not necessarily Africa but how we could all be a lot worse off. I have been feeling pretty guilty that I haven't really been able to donate to the food drives like I normally do this time of year. Since I don't have much money or food to donate I was thinking about donating my time and services to some operation providing help to those in need. If anyone is interested in joining me please let me know.

Kristina

TFOGGuys
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the last time we went there to help I recall Blackhawks being shot down and people dragging the bodies of U.S. soldiers through the streets with everyone cheering them along. It's one reason why we didn't do anything when genocide was happening in Rwanda. I agree with Jeff about Mugabe. He needs to be hung by the neck, along with a bunch of others of his ilk throughout the continent.

Dirk
I disagree...Mugabe needs to die alone in a puddle of his own waste, in a cell too small to lie down in, preferably after being tortured to the edge of insanity.....much like he has had done to countless others. One of my good friends was in Somalia as a Marine, circa 1992. His opinion: Nuke the whole fuxin country and start over. Zimbabwe is even worse in terms of corruption.

</hijack>
In response to Ralph's statements, I couldn't agree more. I have been very fortunate in the last year, and I am doing my best to pass some of that good fortune along. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a prosperous new year! :santa:

puckstr
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I am always tankful for being fortunate. My life ROCKS

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I disagree...Mugabe needs to die alone in a puddle of his own waste, in a cell too small to lie down in, preferably after being tortured to the edge of insanity.....much like he has had done to countless others. One of my good friends was in Somalia as a Marine, circa 1992. His opinion: Nuke the whole fuxin country and start over. Zimbabwe is even worse in terms of corruption.

</hijack>
In response to Ralph's statements, I couldn't agree more. I have been very fortunate in the last year, and I am doing my best to pass some of that good fortune along. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a prosperous new year! :santa:

If I were runnin the show you'd be Secretary of State.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Dec 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Honestly, unless it's a natural disaster, I refuse to donate anything to foreign countries. Yes, even Italy. Sorry. There's too many sick, starving, and dying people right here at home. You know, where WE are citizens? I TOTALLY agree with Dirk's comments about when we went to africa to help, and had our soldiers bodies desecrated and dragged thru the streets. I'm not interested in sending any help to people like that, thanks, especially at the cost of our soldiers. While I feel for the plight of those people, I don't see that they will ever become a civilized nation NOT hell-bent on slaughtering and enslaving their own people, so I see all that as wasted effort.

Here's a charity worth donating to:
https://www.fightforthetroops.com/donate.asp

These people are getting crippled and injured for US.