PDA

View Full Version : Ride height

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Dec 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I have a GS 500F and I would like to raze the rear ride hight to quicken up the stearing response and increase cornering clearance. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking about installing shorter dog bones; is this a bad idea? Will it throw off the machanics of the linkage?

Thanks

frank2
Thu Dec 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I would think you could accomplish the same thing by dropping your fork tubes. If that bad boy has that option. Lowering your fork tubes will make you turn in quicker, if that's all you want. As far as the clearance problems? I really don't know your machine.

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Dec 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM
The bike sits kind of low in the back, for shorter riders to reach the ground. I have long legs and have never had trouble reaching the ground on any bike, so I don't need a low seat hight. If I drop the forks in the triple clamps then I lower the bike farther and lessen my cornering clearance. Cornering clearance is OK, but I would like more.

dragos13
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Where are you at in terms of factory stock ride height? Front and rear....

sky_blue
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I raised the back of my GS500 by taking out the garbage GS500 shock and swapping in a used shock off an SV650. SV shock had rebound dampning that the stocker didn't. Had to drill a new bolt hole, but it made a ton of difference. Got the shock on ebay for like $10. A bunch of Katana shocks fit too, but this one I could get in yellow to match the bike so that worked for me.

Had to lengthen the side stand also...that actually took longer than fiting the new shock.

Stock in black, SV650 in yellow.

http://idisk.mac.com/jenstrona/Public/Pictures/maint_june/shocks.jpg

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Where are you at in terms of factory stock ride height? Front and rear....

Stock, front and rear.

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I raised the back of my GS500 by taking out the garbage GS500 shock and swapping in a used shock off an SV650. SV shock had rebound dampning that the stocker didn't. Had to drill a new bolt hole, but it made a ton of difference. Got the shock on ebay for like $10. A bunch of Katana shocks fit too, but this one I could get in yellow to match the bike so that worked for me.

Had to lengthen the side stand also...that actually took longer than fiting the new shock.

Stock in black, SV650 in yellow.

http://idisk.mac.com/jenstrona/Public/Pictures/maint_june/shocks.jpg
Interesting, I will look into this. Why did you have to drill new holes?

sky_blue
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Because that yellow shock is WAAAAAAYYY to long. I shortened those tabs/bracket thingies at the bottom of the yellow one above with a sawzal, and relocated those two bolt holes closer to the spring. Even chopped off, the new shock still raised the back of the bike at least an inch, maybe two.

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Because that yellow shock is WAAAAAAYYY to long. I shortened those tabs/bracket thingies at the bottom of the yellow one above with a sawzal, and relocated those two bolt holes closer to the spring. Even chopped off, the new shock still raised the back of the bike at least an inch, maybe two.

OK, that sounds worth a try. I'll start looking for a shock. Thanks for the help.

rybo
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I have a stock SV shock laying around. Let me see if I can find it.

s

IT WASN'T ME!
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have a stock SV shock laying around. Let me see if I can find it.

s
Thank you. How much would you want for it?

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
It's brand new....hell I don't know $20? I'll get in the garage to night and see if I can find it.

IT WASN'T ME!
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
It's brand new....hell I don't know $20? I'll get in the garage to night and see if I can find it.

DEAL! Let me know when you find it. Again, thank you.

pilot
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I have a GS 500F and I would like to raze the rear ride hight to quicken up the stearing response and increase cornering clearance. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking about installing shorter dog bones; is this a bad idea? Will it throw off the mechanics of the linkage?

ThanksYou're most likely correct about that it will throw off the mechanics of your bike. Changing the stock linkage on the shock will also change your leverage ratio curves. That could really lead to some unwanted handling issues. The stock GS500f comes with fairly soft springs this leads to excessive front end dive during hard braking and can get a bit twitchy.

If you are near 200 lbs the suspension on both front and rear are too soft for you. The sag is most likely low and the rebound needs to be set for your weight on both front and rear. If you would like to get a set of springs for the front and one for the rear you can contact mwiley@racetech.com. Matt can work with you on getting either spring measurements from you or have you send the units in for tuning.

Having your cake and eating it too: After checking with two tire makers I found no 110 60 17 sizes for your bike. You may find one and if you do it could mean a faster turn-in based on lower un-sprung weight, Less rotational mass and perhaps a sharper profile..If you slide the triple clamps down, say between 5 and 15 mm you will see a faster turn in on the fork tubes you will decrease trail and quicken the steering. But this comes at the loss of ground clearance, as you've pointed out.

The GS500f is an excellent starter bike that can bring a lot of smiles to the rider in the first year of enjoyment. It has all the facets of a well built ride for newer riders. Sadly, you, like so many others who own this bike find that it lacks that luster you're looking for. First you'll modify the suspension. A proper set-up could cost you anywhere from 100 to 1000 depending on how much you want to invest in your front/rear combo. Even then, you're still only getting a marginally adjustable bike. Next will come a new pipe and desire for more motor as you try to keep up with the 600's which seem so prevalent in today's market.

This brings up another point. Consider what you may spend to get this bike up to speed for your riding desires vs. picking up another bike more suited to the purpose and parts availability, such as the SV 650, Ninja 650 or any one of the stepped up 600's.

One of the best things that you can do to have the greatest effect on ground clearance is to receive enhanced training in riding technique. Consider taking an advanced riding skills program that will specifically will help with increasing ground clearance and traction control.

Good tuning.

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
You're most likely correct about that it will throw off the mechanics of your bike. Changing the stock linkage on the shock will also change your leverage ratio curves. That could really lead to some unwanted handling issues. The stock GS500f comes with fairly soft springs this leads to excessive front end dive during hard braking and can get a bit twitchy.

If you are near 200 lbs the suspension on both front and rear are too soft for you. The sag is most likely low and the rebound needs to be set for your weight on both front and rear. If you would like to get a set of springs for the front and one for the rear you can contact mwiley@racetech.com. Matt can work with you on getting either spring measurements from you or have you send the units in for tuning.

Having your cake and eating it too: After checking with two tire makers I found no 110 60 17 sizes for your bike. You may find one and if you do it could mean a faster turn-in based on lower un-sprung weight, Less rotational mass and perhaps a sharper profile..If you slide the triple clamps down, say between 5 and 15 mm you will see a faster turn in on the fork tubes you will decrease trail and quicken the steering. But this comes at the loss of ground clearance, as you've pointed out.

The GS500f is an excellent starter bike that can bring a lot of smiles to the rider in the first year of enjoyment. It has all the facets of a well built ride for newer riders. Sadly, you, like so many others who own this bike find that it lacks that luster you're looking for. First you'll modify the suspension. A proper set-up could cost you anywhere from 100 to 1000 depending on how much you want to invest in your front/rear combo. Even then, you're still only getting a marginally adjustable bike. Next will come a new pipe and desire for more motor as you try to keep up with the 600's which seem so prevalent in today's market.

This brings up another point. Consider what you may spend to get this bike up to speed for your riding desires vs. picking up another bike more suited to the purpose and parts availability, such as the SV 650, Ninja 650 or any one of the stepped up 600's.

One of the best things that you can do to have the greatest effect on ground clearance is to receive enhanced training in riding technique. Consider taking an advanced riding skills program that will specifically will help with increasing ground clearance and traction control.

Good tuning.

You are right, SV's etc. are better, more capable bikes. eventually I will upgrade, but not yet. I am not going to spend much money to upgrade this bike, but if I can improve handling with a SV shock for $20, why not try it? I am around 200 lbs, so what do you think of adding preload to the front springs and going to a hevier fork oil for increased dampening control? Radial tires are hard to find for this bike, but I found a Dunlop D207 ( OEM for the BMW F650cs) for the front and a D205 for the rear. I am hoping that these tires will improve the overall handling of my bike over the stock BT 45's. I mostly commute on this bike (150+ a day) with the occasional canyon ride. What do you think of these tires?

rybo
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
The BT 45 is a fine street tire. I don't know that I'd go changing it.

As far as adding preload goes, what you really need is a higher spring rate. While it's $100 it's still pretty cheap compared to other mods, I'd suggest just getting the right springs for the forks.

I've got the shock and can meet up with you sometime this weekend if you want.

I'm up north near Loveland...where are you?

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
The BT 45 is a fine street tire. I don't know that I'd go changing it.

As far as adding preload goes, what you really need is a higher spring rate. While it's $100 it's still pretty cheap compared to other mods, I'd suggest just getting the right springs for the forks.

I've got the shock and can meet up with you sometime this weekend if you want.

I'm up north near Loveland...where are you?

I'm in the Springs area, but I work in Aurora. Would it be possible to meet during the week?

I like the BT-45's, but I was hoping I would get better performance and mileage with a good radial. Am I wrong? What is the advantage of radials?