PDA

View Full Version : Nice balmy evening...

rforsythe
Sun Dec 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
A Few Clouds
-15°F
(-26°C)
Humidity: 82 %
Wind Speed: SE 12 MPH
Barometer: 29.96" (1026.7 mb)
Dewpoint: -19°F (-28°C)
Wind Chill: -36°F (-38°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

So who's up for a ride? :lol:

dm_gsxr
Sun Dec 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Much as I'd like to give it a shot, I'm sporting a cold right now. I don't want it to escalate so I'm laying low right now.

I am mucking about on my systems here. With the laptop, firewall, gaming system (with three monitors) and the Sun E250 (and monitor) running, it's fricking toasty in here :D

Carl

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:35 AM
It was -19 at my house at 6 am. As stupid as it seems, I actually contemplated riding for about 30 seconds after my frickin car wouldn't start :banghead:......

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You know it's cold when the snow squeaks.
Hope everyone winterized their bikes.

I fired up a couple of the bikes/cars last night and plugged in the battery tenders on a few that weren't hooked up.
Put a shop light underneath the R6 for some heat just in case I didn't get the anti-freeze dilution right after last trackday.

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM
The funny thing are all the comments from folk this morning.

"Did you ride today?"

"What, do you think I'm an _idiot_?"

:D

Security did have two guys move their cars out of the Motorcycle Only parking spaces :p

Carl

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Winter-what? :dunno:

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'd actually consider it, except I've discovered the snow traction limit of Michelin Anakees, and it's less than adequate for what's on the road now. However a nice set of TKC80's would do the trick. :eyebrows:

puckstr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
time to skinny dip

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I'd actually consider it, except I've discovered the snow traction limit of Michelin Anakees, and it's less than adequate for what's on the road now. However a nice set of TKC80's would do the trick. :eyebrows:

I've got 'em in stock.....Ice screws too..... :devious:

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've got 'em in stock.....Ice screws too..... :devious:

Got them for the Hayabusa?

Carl

salsashark
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It was -19 at my house at 6 am. As stupid as it seems, I actually contemplated riding for about 30 seconds after my frickin car wouldn't start :banghead:......

fought with my truck this morning for a while... wouldn't start. Got out and scraped the windows then gave it one more shot and it started...

I'm installing an engine heater this afternoon, I can't afford to spin bearings!

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, both my vehicles are grounded until they can plow the area behind my garage enough for me to get either one out.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
You know it's cold when the snow squeaks.
Hope everyone winterized their bikes.

I fired up a couple of the bikes/cars last night and plugged in the battery tenders on a few that weren't hooked up.
Put a shop light underneath the R6 for some heat just in case I didn't get the anti-freeze dilution right after last trackday.
I worry about Curtis's bikes in the garage as he only has h20 and a little Water Wetter in 'em. He has a space heater between em, but........

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Got them for the Hayabusa?

Carl
The TKCs don't come in large enough sizes.

We could prolly mount up some of those D616 Dunlops they make for the Buell Ulysses....ice screws are universal. So you'd be good to go...

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
fought with my truck this morning for a while... wouldn't start. Got out and scraped the windows then gave it one more shot and it started...

I'm installing an engine heater this afternoon, I can't afford to spin bearings!

Yeah, I have a diesel... Block heaters aren't optional when it gets this cold. On the plus side she fired right up this morning and only needed the usual few minutes of idling to get warm enough to where I drive it, just to save wear and tear.

I think I will get one of the winter grille covers though, the radiators work a little too well in these things. Only $50 from Cabelas, and it'll probably help fuel economy a bit just keeping the engine warmer, so that cost is a wash.

salsashark
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I have a diesel... Block heaters aren't optional when it gets this cold. On the plus side she fired right up this morning and only needed the usual few minutes of idling to get warm enough to where I drive it, just to save wear and tear.

I think I will get one of the winter grille covers though, the radiators work a little too well in these things. Only $50 from Cabelas, and it'll probably help fuel economy a bit just keeping the engine warmer, so that cost is a wash.

Never really had a need for a heater cause I've never owned a diesel and I've never lived anywhere that it becomes a requirement. But this morning my truck made some horrible noises trying to start and I don't want to seriously damage something. So even if I only use the heater once in a while, I figure it's a worthy investment.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
They make the simple dip-stick types that you can just pull out for these exceptionally cold days.
They don't work as well as block heaters, but they really do help keep your oil from getting too thick to circulate.

konichd
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Buy a magnetic heater, slap it on the oil pan and you're good. Then you can take it off since you'll only need it a couple times a winter.

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Also make sure you drop the oil weight when it's cold outside. 10W40 is fine for summer, but I'd use 5W40 or even 0W-something for temps like this. Just flows a whole lot better.

salsashark
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Buy a magnetic heater, slap it on the oil pan and you're good. Then you can take it off since you'll only need it a couple times a winter.

hmmmm... possibly... I've also see the stick on silicon heating pads, may have to look around a bit more this afternoon.

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
The TKCs don't come in large enough sizes.

We could prolly mount up some of those D616 Dunlops they make for the Buell Ulysses....ice screws are universal. So you'd be good to go...

Actually I'd probably want it on the TransAlp than the 'busa :D I'd like to take it out for a bit of a ride but I don't trust the other idiots near how much I trust myself.

Carl

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Actually I'd probably want it on the TransAlp than the 'busa :D I'd like to take it out for a bit of a ride but I don't trust the other idiots near how much I trust myself.

Carl

The TA would be a cake walk to fit up. I've got D606s in stock. Ice screws are like velcro in this shit....LOL

McVaaahhh
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Fuck, I can't remember if I put water or coolant in the RC back in March when I bought it and changed all the fluids...

Guess I better check that when I get home.

konichd
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
hmmmm... possibly... I've also see the stick on silicon heating pads, may have to look around a bit more this afternoon.

I have one of those on my car and it works great. Used a little high temp permatex sealant and its been on there 14+ years without a problem. They are much thinner than the magnetic (the come with a post handle you might need to cut off to get more clearance) but both have worked well for me.