PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop Repair

Filo
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Anyone have an idea for where to get a Dell laptop repaired locally. It is an M600 made in 2002. The hard drive bit the dust, I put in a new hard drive and it worked for about 6 hours and just stopped - wouldn't even boot up, although the green lights came on. So, being the kind of guy I am, I took it apart all the way down to the basics (screen off, keyboard off, all peripherals out, etc). I even took out the fan and tested it, cleaned all the dust/dirt out of the power regulation circuits and the cooling circuits, and even re-seated the processor all on a nice, static mat with a blue coat and a grounding strap for those of you who care. Put the thing back together, turned it on, and it booted up nicely. Now the only problem is if you run something computationally intensive (like a Harry Potter game) it will just stop. Not blue screen of death stop, but core dump text/hex garbage to the screen dump type of stop. If you are just playing solitaire or have an excel spreadsheet up, no dumpy. I figure something is wrong with the cooling or temperature sensing circuits.

So, anyone know anyone in Fort Collins/Loveland area who knows what they are doing really well and repairs laptops? I figure this is a little beyond the whole replace-the-hard-drive kind of repair.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sure some dumb Polack on the board can fix it for ya.

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
+1
Just leave a trail of beer bottles up to your front door and he'll find you.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
On the back of your machine there is a Service Tag number. what is it?

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I can help you out.

And Silva, Dumb Pollack is a double positive, or something.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you some things to try before we get too hardware intensive.

Filo
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
On the back of your machine there is a Service Tag. what is it?

It is a little plastic sticker with a bunch of numbers on it, but that is not important right now.

Hahahahahahahahahhaha.

Oh, ummm, computer at home, me at work. Can answer later.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM
It is a little plastic sticker with a bunch of numbers on it, but that is not important right now.

Hahahahahahahahahhaha.

Oh, ummm, computer at home, me at work. Can answer later.

Type it into the URL:

http://support.dell.com/

It will give you warranty information and you can download diagnostic utilities for your Dell.