PDA

View Full Version : What's the coldest temperature you've ever experienced?

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Remember those days when the radio would broadcast warnings: "exposed flesh freezes in "x" minutes"?
What's your personal records that you've actually had to go out in?

Mine:
Colorado: -25 deg.F with -40 wind chill.
While hunting in White River NF north of Eagle @ about 10,000 feet.

Pennsylvania: -17 deg.F with -60 wind chill.
Wind was blowing steady at around 35 mph and gusting to over 50.
This was the worst cold I ever experienced due to the higher humidity compared to CO.
Walked about 4 miles in it, walking backwards against the wind to keep my face from freezing.
(Exposed flesh froze in something like 3 minutes.)
Had to take shelter in a snow bank from the wind to rest and I nearly fell asleep. Thought I was going to die.

I'm sure some of you Canadians or those stationed in Alaska can beat my person records.
I'm betting Randall (Snowman), takes the record.

puckstr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
My coldest ever was TODAY
I am running my heater under my desk right now.. Toes still cold

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I was in Omaha in January '89, when it was -46 with a wind chill of -76. With 92% Humidity. :cold:

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I was in Omaha in January '89, when it was -46 with a wind chill of -76. With 92% Humidity. :cold:

That explains a few things...

I grew up out in BFE east of Parker. When it got cold, it got COLD. I don't know exactly, but well below zero for sure. Also been up skiing at timberline with actual air temps of -25 to -30 (plus windchill on top of that).

Gregger
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:29 PM
-16... Last night on the way home from work at 2am.

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
That explains a few things...

I was there for a job for 6 months or so. It was the longest 3 years of my life.

Snowman
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
-82° with a wind chill of -110°.
Today It was warmer at McMurdo Station that it was here.

puckstr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Is that on the friggin MOON?:shocked:

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM

That's what I'm talkin about. I'm also one of those sick freaks that would actually like to spend some time working in a place like that someday...

Oh, pic just for Dana:

dirkterrell
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I don't remember the exact temperature but it was -30F or so several times in Calgary when I was on my postdoc up there. It took me about 15 minutes on the first night to figure out a way of setting up the telescope controls so I didn't have to stay out in the dome. I had just gone up there from Florida. :shocked:I should have known I was in trouble when I got there in August and they told me I needed to get a block heater on my truck. "Why the hell would you want to heat the engine?!?!?" Yeah. :alien:

There was a ~2-week stretch once when it stayed around -20F. Then it warmed up to freezing. I swear it felt like I could run around in shorts and a t-shirt. Now I understand what's up with these crazy Canadians. They're all suffering from cryocerebrunecrosis.

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
-27 here in Colorado for a week straight in 1985

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM

:lol: Yeah....but it' a "dry" cold.
(How'd I know that you'd have the record?)

Last night someone pointed out that the North Pole was warmer than Denver.
Hope Santa still comes.:cry:

Shortcake
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
ONE word..... FARGO!
It is best described as the frigid depths of hell.

Keyser Soze
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
-36 Degrees

Great Lakes Naval Station. I was on snow duty for the worst blizzard to hit Chicago in over a hundred years. I've never seen that much snow in my entire life :lol:

Oh...and its -12 here today with the windchill. Sunny thought. Lake Michigan looks nice and toasty.

Dietrich_R1
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Try growing up in Northern Minnesota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a shower, you had to use an ice scraper if you wanted to see yourself in the vanity mirror!!!

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah, to get proper bragging rights you had to have spent more than 5 minutes out in it.

madvlad
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
wow what's up with the cats on this site lol..... anyways on topic, coldest I've been is riding is about 12 degrees from 112th and Irma to Belleview and Wadsworth to my house after my soccer game..... windchill was probably below 10 somewhere but hell I'll never do that again lol

Snowman
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
:lol: Yeah....but it' a "dry" cold.
(How'd I know that you'd have the record?)

Last night someone pointed out that the North Pole was warmer than Denver.
Hope Santa still comes.:cry:

Yes it is a dry cold, it only snows about 3" a year down there... And that temp was the day after I arrived on station in 2005. Had a storm prevent flights into the station for 5 days.

Oh yeah, to get proper bragging rights you had to have spent more than 5 minutes out in it. How about the fact I had to walk 1/4 of a mile from my tent to the elevated station every day?

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Powder Mountain Utah -40 at the top of the mountain at around midnight.

Temps when I did my Polar Bear Club swims (these are temps on the ice, not in the water :) ) :

Black Lake, NY -2

Winakopau Lake, Newfoundland, Canaduh -34

Steele Lake, Michigan - 18

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Coldest riding was -19 on the way up to Echo Lake.

konichd
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Winter 1996 in North Dakota, most snow ever on record, hit -50 to -60 a couple times that year. A couple days it was so bad it was illegal to operate a vehicle because so many people were getting stuck and emergency vehicles couldn't make it out.

Fortuantely a couple guys in our frat house had snowmobiles to make beer runs :)

Spiderman
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
~ 1990 - I went snowmobiling in -22 F (-30 C) near Quebec City (Quebec, Canada)... high humidity. :cold:

~Barn~
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
When my ex broke it off with me last July. I wanna say it was around 85 that day.

McVaaahhh
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
:pointlaugh:

Mine would be in the ~-15 range here in CO.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
How about the fact I had to walk 1/4 of a mile from my tent to the elevated station every day?

At -82 deg. opening the door and immediatly shutting it counts.

puckstr
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
wow what's up with the cats on this site lol..... anyways on topic, coldest I've been is riding is about 12 degrees from 112th and Irma to Belleview and Wadsworth to my house after my soccer game..... windchill was probably below 10 somewhere but hell I'll never do that again lol

Cats Rock
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/178500/178775DIlh_w.jpg

rybo
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
My first jobs out of college were as an expedition guide for Outward Bound like programs. First I worked out of Northern Wisconsin and later Northern Idaho. All told it was almost 10 years of employment.

We ran trips year round and traveled by foot (snowshoe or ski) from point to point each day. Trips lasted 30 days, with meets scheduled to resupply food and fresh clothing. Our travel protocol said that we would not travel in temperatures under -20F. In February 1995 I had a 5 day stretch where we stayed in camp because the temps didn't exceed that number at any point in time. The thermometer I was using bottomed out at -50F and it didn't register at all for 2 of those days. It was a great experience.

I can confirm that at -40F if you go outside to pee it WILL freeze before it hits the ground.

Still, Snowman's got me beat...

s

Speedwagon
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Mine would be in Chicago:

The coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago is -27°F (-33°C) on January 20, 1985, with a wind chill of -83°F (-64°C). On December 24, 1983, the high temperature at Chicago reached only -11°F (-23°C).

Slo
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Coldest I experienced wasn't the absolute coldest temp, but I believe water freezes at -28, but if it's moving, can get colder. Was doing the mountain warfare and winter survival package in the Marines, was up in Bridgeport and had to do a river crossing while it was at -32, talk about every inch of your skin burning!!!!! Yes, that includes the important stuff too.....

dirkterrell
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, that includes the important stuff too.....

Actually the coldest I have ever felt was a football game my sophomore year in high school. It was 32.000001F, windy and raining. I was told during warmups that I was going to have to start at quarterback. We had lost our starting quarterback earlier in the weak and the backup had hurt his neck in practice later in the week. During warmups he decided he wasn't going to be able to play. On the very first play of the game, I dropped back to throw a pass and got thrown into a huge puddle. Soaking wet from head to toe. It didn't get much better the rest of the night. Yes, I know the burning sensation that Jay is talking about. It was a good thing that I played defense as well because I'm sure I would have frozen solid standing on the sidelines.

Dirk

Pandora-11
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I actually think that a wet cold day in the south feels a lot colder than any day I've had in Colorado.

rforsythe
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I believe water freezes at -28

Give or take 60 degrees...

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
^^ LOL smaaaaaarrrrttt Aaaaasssssss!!!!!

Spiderman
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
:spit:

Sortarican
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Anyone ever read this short story by Jack London called "To Build a Fire"?
http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jack_London/To_Build_a_Fire/To_Build_a_Fire_p1.html

I read it when I was a little kid and ever since then any time I'm out in subzero temps I think of it.
Especially the part where the character is calculating how cold it is by at what point his spit freezes.

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I loved that book when I was a kid. when I did my winter survival course in the Scouts I kept thinking about that book.

VFR
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Minot North Dakota

-25/-60 windchill.....Your tear ducts would freeze if you stayed out for more than 2 minutes

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I loved that book when I was a kid. when I did my winter survival course in the Scouts I kept thinking about that book.

In 1974 we camped out at Endavalley campground in RMNP for two nights. The thermo-meter bottomed out at -23. That is when i went out and bought my -50 bag. Never cold since.

wazemoto07
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Mine was back in 1990 when I raced Mtn. Bikes for Schwinn-Volkswagon and worked 18 miles away and trained in the winter on a 46 lb STEEL BIKE w/screwed tires I did myself w-3/8 inch sheet metal screws. Twas -32 below for a solid couple of weeks as my face was numb even w/a baclava and riding gear.:cold: Remember when I'd get home I had to peel the clothes off and the bottom layer was sweaty. Took the battery out of my car and gave it to my room mate as he put it in his trunk so I could'nt drive "Had to Ride". Those were the days but I was very apt to the climate when summer arose racing around the U.S. and Germany, it would rain and I was good for those 2 and a half hours in the saddle!!!!!Fun Times people as I work at DIA on the ramp and was -23 this morning and not skippin a beat....:headbang:

Mental
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM

March of 95, same place, same temps. I had to plug my cars in with a heathed dipstick, and I had on street parking. I was also on the Honor Guard at Offutt AFB, so we had to do a funeral in those temps as well. We were bundled up like huge puffy blueberries and it didn't help. You know that tingling burning sensation before you go numb? Well we skipped that. Off the bus, instant numb. I told everyone to choose safety over appearence and keep moving. God bless that preist, you have never heard prayers so fast in you life. I think he was scared some of the elderly attendies were gonna freeze that day as well. We stood there, as stoic as possible, in 2 1/2 feet of snow, away from the family in the wind, wiggling our legs and our arms slightly, hoping those damm M-16 blanks all wouldn't freeze and we could actually get three volleys. (We did get three vollyes, but the last two only had one gun go off per volley)

When we got back on the bus, some folks were actually crying from the pain. It took me almost and hour to get the feeling back in my extremities. It was the worst. If you have never been up north in the plain states, the UP of MI or Saskatchewan, I just can't describe it. Its the humidity with the wind that makes it the worst. I had a buddy who was born and raised in Alakska and he swore hw had never experienced such cold.

It was that cold for the whole damm month. I the first week of April it finally warmed up to 0. I was so happy, I didn't even wear a jacket. I remeber walking in just in my uniform with a sweater under it thinking "Man, this is nice, 0. I may have to roll up my sleeves it so warm.." and then slapping my head, becuase I was happy it was 0.

Devaclis
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Real men don't have tear ducts. Our eyes just water from bright lights and pollen. I have tiny fists on my eyelids that punch my eyes until they stop watering. Sometimes, when it is really freezing outside, my tiny fists get cold.

FZRguy
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Today was damn unpleasant. My Jeep wouldn’t start so I had to ride my MTB to work. I took light rail to 10th and Osage, then rode the 9.7 miles west to work (about an hour ride today). Not looking forward to the ride tonight back down to the light rail (should be quicker tho).

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
In the early '90's in Cleveland, when X1 and I still lived in our apt., we had about 3-4 days of record-breaking -25 ambient(!) with wind chills of -50+! That totally sucked. Nobody's car would start. I had to buy a new battery for my Honda.....and install it in that cold!

I can see people like Snowman who do this for a living being prepared to deal (if it's possible) with it, but it ain't for me. I can't imagine living in Fargo or anyplace like that. "F" that......

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone ever read this short story by Jack London called "To Build a Fire"?
http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jack_London/To_Build_a_Fire/To_Build_a_Fire_p1.html

I read it when I was a little kid and ever since then any time I'm out in subzero temps I think of it.
Especially the part where the character is calculating how cold it is by at what point his spit freezes.
Yep, remember that one. Glad the guy dies and the dog lived! He deserved it.....

Captain Obvious
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Coldest? That would be today. It was -21 according to the car thermometer and the bank on the way to work. Judging by last night and current temps, that puts the wind chill at about -36.

And winter just started, it is supposed to get colder. My first winter working in Bismarck, ND. I think I will be breaking my personal best all winter. Yeehaw.

Mac020
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Loveland Ski Area: -40f -70f wind chill. I was dressed for it but this guy in the lift line wasn't. He had a gray nose and didn't even know it. I told him to get inside but I think it was too late!

I have a saying for riding: "Anything between boiling and freezing is alright with me!"

mtnairlover
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I was in Ohio during 85 and the week long deep freeze. Living in Winnipeg for two years from 72 - 74 meant that I got used to the minus 20s and minus 30s all winter long. We'd bundle up in snowsuits and scarves around our faces, looking like that kid in Christmas Story. We'd play soccer in the snow during recess at school. The snow didn't melt during Winter. It was typically packed a foot deep on the roads.

I remember my Dad was taking us kids and the neighborhood kids to school one morning and the car slid into a ditch alongside the road (oooh, now there's something familiar) and we all got out of the car and pushed it back up the hill and onto the road. It was a 72 Volkswagen squareback (hatchback back in the day).

Ah yes, those were the days.:cold:

Mental
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Coldest? That would be today. It was -21 according to the car thermometer and the bank on the way to work. Judging by last night and current temps, that puts the wind chill at about -36.

And winter just started, it is supposed to get colder. My first winter working in Bismarck, ND. I think I will be breaking my personal best all winter. Yeehaw.

From another redneck that reloacted to the frozen midwest; carmex. Use it on your nostrils and on your fingernail cuticles. The cuticles, even under gloves will freeze, then split and hurt like hell until you acclimate.

Captain Obvious
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
From another redneck that reloacted to the frozen midwest; carmex. Use it on your nostrils and on your fingernail cuticles. The cuticles, even under gloves will freeze, then split and hurt like hell until you acclimate.

Yes, the cuticles have already started, carmex it is, thanks. First couple of inhales through my nose surprised me on how quickly it froze. I am in need of a real winter jacket, mine apparently isn't rated to 0, much less -30something.

dattaway
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Ouch. I never knew cuticles could freeze and crack.

But I wear electric gloves. -20F for me in the freezer at work during an eight hour shift. 0F on rides to work. Gerbing's suits rock!

pilot
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 02:53 AM
You'll really deserve this right now:

http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/images/hawaii.jpg

dattaway
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM
http://rs6.risingnet.net/~dattaway/rightnow.jpg
but this is what I get right now... (http://www.dattaway.net/)

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
From another redneck that reloacted to the frozen midwest

Ssshhhh They don't know we're going to take the place over... http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

Snowman
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Ssshhhh They don't know we're going to take the place over... http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

DirkTrailer trash has always had the tendency to breed more often than more intelligent of the species proving that a higher intellect is not always a better survival trait.

I think it’ has something to do with all the beer and shiny objects.
:)

ZiaThunder
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
The four years that I spent if Fairbanks Alaska...

First year:
-75 with a 45pmh wind = ~ -172 wind chill... It just sucked, I had to walk the 25 minutes to campus, and spend the rest of the day going between 3 buildings.

Second year:
six weeks of -50... never got warmer or colder.

Third year:
3 weeks of -45 and 162 inches of snow

Fourth year:
Was actually a warm one.. only got to -30 a few times. but we still got 158 inches of snow.

That second year I hit a drop off coming outta the drive way and sheared one of the front struts in half... I really hated it there it wasn't the cold as much as it was the darkness.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Trailer trash has always had the tendency to breed more often than more intelligent of the species proving that a higher intellect is not always a better survival trait.

Yeah, we have our own selection pressures. Most of them start with "Hold my beer. Watch this..." :)

Dirk

Spiderman
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
... Living in Winnipeg for two years ...
You lived in Winter-peg?!? :shock:

Snowman
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, we have our own selection pressures. Most of them start with "Hold my beer. Watch this..." :)

DirkStrange coincidence that the very same substance (beer) is also what allows them to breed with just about anything with or without legs, including attempts across species. :)

mtnairlover
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
You lived in Winter-peg?!? :shock:

Lol...yeah...I can remember driving through Fort Garry on the main road and seeing the ice fort every winter in the median. We used to play ring-et at the Wildwood Community Center rink (http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rinks/mb/wildwood_community_centre_rink_skating_rink_arena_ winnipeg_mb.cfm). When I was 9, my team went to the city's Centennial Jr. Olympic Games and we won first place.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Strange coincidence that the very same substance (beer) is also what allows them to breed with just about anything with or without legs, including attempts across species. :)

Hey, it's genetic variation and that's a good thing for survivability. :)

http://www.billybarton.com/blog/images/redneck_baby.jpg

Dirk

puckstr
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I am liking -18
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/2158930812_2a3aed1aed.jpg?v=0

t_jolt
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
The four years that I spent if Fairbanks Alaska...

Props my friend. If i had to have my water delivered i think i might kill someone. Pretty area during the summer, but it does get dirty during winter, like A-town :) i lived in Juneau for 2 years

-36 is the coldest i've been out in

Tyrel

Mental
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Trailer trash has always had the tendency to breed more often than more intelligent of the species proving that a higher intellect is not always a better survival trait.

Don't confuse trailer trash with rednecks. Whole different kinda stupid. The differnce being mainly that rednecks work and pay taxes while trailer trash (not nessasarily traile park residends) collect welfare and breed.

Don't get me wrong, when I was single, I would get drunk enough to hump anything (ask your sister), so we do share that trait. We just happen to like a steady paycheck, on account of bass boats an Trans-maros (as well as aformentioned shiney objects to attach to Transmaro) costin' money.

Snowman
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Don't confuse trailer trash with rednecks. Whole different kinda stupid. The differnce being mainly that rednecks work and pay taxes while trailer trash (not nessasarily traile park residends) collect welfare and breed.

Don't get me wrong, when I was single, I would get drunk enough to hump anything (ask your sister), so we do share that trait. We just happen to like a steady paycheck, on account of bass boats an Trans-maros (as well as aformentioned shiney objects to attach to Transmaro) costin' money.Shit man you know my sister? :)

Mental
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Only from the back:hump:

derekm
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I showed -6 on my cars elec info gauge 12-05, last night showed -2 on my way to get "back medicine".

Pandora-11
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hey, it's genetic variation and that's a good thing for survivability. :)

http://www.billybarton.com/blog/images/redneck_baby.jpg

Dirk

I consider myself mostly a southerner, but when I lived those three years in Alabama, I would slyly glance at the fingers and toes of the natives to see if there were six of them, much like the interbreeding cats around. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Captain Obvious
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Don't confuse trailer trash with rednecks. Whole different kinda stupid.

Well, I prefer to just call myself a southerner. Only been mudding once. Never owned a 4x4. Never had a sister or cousin that I ever considered neckin with. I know how to properly use and pronounce words like fixin' and yall. I call all women over the age of 16 ma'am until I know them.

Oh, and it is the south, not the southeast. Litmus test for being a southerner.