PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ice overflowing?!$?!$

Gainer
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I recently switched from using HP coolant to Engine Ice. I flushed and drained the system out thoroughly before filling again as recommended.

Tonight I decided to run the bike like I do once every week or so in the winter. Once the temp hit 195, the coolant started overflowing out of the reservoir. I know it has been really cold lately, but not outside of the temp specs given by Engine Ice. I have never had this problem before with the HP coolant.

Any ideas??????

The_Jackel
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
More info? When did you replace the coolant? Did you run it afterwords? Without info.. you probably have air in the system

Gainer
Tue Dec 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
More info? When did you replace the coolant? Did you run it afterwords? Without info.. you probably have air in the system

I replaced it about a month ago and it ran it up to full temp for about 20 mins right after I was done, no problems.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Check your PM :)

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I talked to David (President) today from CycleLogic, makers of Engine Ice. He seemed pretty confident that I had just overfilled the radiator. When the coolant got to a certain temp it expanded and overflowed. I am sure that is a possibility, but I am not convinced that was it.

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You have a frozen line or water pump, any chance of warming up your garage for a couple hours? Exact thing happened to BoulderNinja last year.

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
You have a frozen line or water pump, any chance of warming up your garage for a couple hours? Exact thing happened to BoulderNinja last year.

I was going to fire up the propane heater tonight and try that out. I am just not sure how anything could have frozen. The coolant is rated to
-27. I know it has been cold, but not that cold.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Are you running straight coolant or a water mixture? They will separate.

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
BoulderNinja has the same thing, particulates froze in the coolant (imagine how cold a aluminum block gets) and froze around the waterpump shaft. Started the bike, broke the shaft, hence coolant boil over.

I don't think its air

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Are you running straight coolant or a water mixture? They will separate.

Engine Ice comes pre-mixed.

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I don't think its air

I'm going to disagree and say that almost for certain it's air. The time proximity between the coolant change and the boil over is my reason. I had the same thing in the duc streetbike this summer. I did a change over to straight water for some trackdays and had a minor boil over.

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm going to disagree and say that almost for certain it's air. The time proximity between the coolant change and the boil over is my reason. I had the same thing in the duc streetbike this summer. I did a change over to straight water for some trackdays and had a minor boil over.

If it is air, how do I go about fixing it?

Sortarican
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
If it is air, how do I go about fixing it?

I have the manual on that and bleeding the system is pretty straight forward.
I'll try to remember to bring it by.

I've changed coolant out in my R6 several times this past season and never had an air pocket that would cause the amount of overflow you've described.
It usually fills up without any issues even without bleeding.
That's why I also think it was an ice jam.
But if that's the case, shutting it down and letting the heat of the motor clear it should have worked.

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
There are a couple possible solutions:

I would recommend: Warm the bike to operating temperature and with the engine running "pump" the hoses causing coolant to surge through the system. This will dislodge the air bubbles and sent them towards the top of the system (usually the radiator cap). This air is displacing coolant volume, so let the bike cool, open the cap and replace the missing volume with coolant.

Why the bike is overflowing is that the air in the system is trapped and when it gets hot it expands, taking up more volume and pushing fluid to the overflow. You can continue to warm and cool the bike adding fluid inbetween cycles, but this is much slower than what I recommend above.

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Can't he just remove the cap and start the bike? This alleviates pressure on the system and should clear any air. Thats the way I've done it on coolant swaps and never had a problem :dunno:

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Can't he just remove the cap and start the bike? This alleviates pressure on the system and should clear any air. Thats the way I've done it on coolant swaps and never had a problem :dunno:

That would probably work too...

more shocking to me is that you spelled alleviate correctly...:)

Devaclis
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
It is winter, you don't need coolant. Drain it and ride it.

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
^^^DK is a business man now :)

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I hope I can figure this out. This stuff is too expensive to keep ending up on my garage floor.

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I hope I can figure this out. This stuff is too expensive to keep ending up on my garage floor.

If it's coming out the overflow tube, put a clean bucket under it, collect it and re-use it...

Devaclis
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Let DK do it. He's rich!!!

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
If it's coming out the overflow tube, put a clean bucket under it, collect it and re-use it...

Good idea for the next bottle, too late for the last one. :banghead:

Gainer
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
What are the chances that it could be a bad thermostat?

Devaclis
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well, since it did not overflow until it hit 195, I would say the thermostat opened, causing the fluid to overflow. When thermos go bad, the go bad in the open position. Just a guess tho.

Gainer
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to Grandprix and talked to Chris. He had me talk to Jason in the shop and he gave me some good ideas too. Chris @ Grandprix rocks as always.

http://www.uglydogracing.com/2008_Sponsor_Logos/2008_Sponsor_Logos/GPLogo1.jpg (http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/)

Gainer
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Merry Christmas too me!!!! :bananna:

Problem solved with good eyes, ears, and a shop towel. Who would have thought that a little build up on the radaitor cap seal could cause so many problems. Lesson learned!!!

Now I can enjoy the Holidays!!! I look forward to seeing all of you next year.