PDA

View Full Version : So, how bad is the AMA going to suck.....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
.......this year because none of the factories or pro riders will be in it?

Opinions?

sorry mods, but I thought this was better in here than the "Track Days" forum. Move if you wish.

Flame on!

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
WSBK is going to be the series to watch.

With no big name riders, the loss of several factory backed teams, its going to be horrible. :(

rybo
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Or to the contrary it's going to be great!

There is a ton of talent out there that rarely got to shine because the factories had HUGE advantages with the old AMA rules. I'd expect to see some of the closest and best racing we've ever had in the states in 2009!

UglyDogRacing
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
.......this year because none of the factories or pro riders will be in it?

Opinions?

sorry mods, but I thought this was better in here than the "Track Days" forum. Move if you wish.

Flame on!

Actually Yamaha is fielding a factory team for 2009 with B. Bostrom and Hayes on the R1's and Herrin and Aquino on the R6's. Unfortunately they are the only factory team.

hcr25
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM

There is a ton of talent out there that rarely got to shine because the factories had HUGE advantages with the old AMA rules. I'd expect to see some of the closest and best racing we've ever had in the states in 2009!

I agree, I have been a die hard fan of suzuki for a long time. The AMA races in the SBK class were not that fun to watch.

Granted all the big names will not be there but the racing might be more fun to watch...... If the races get on TV that is.

Big-J
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM

:imwithstupid:

konichd
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
You don't think factory Yamaha is going to walk on everybody? :dunno:

Yamaha....the NEW Yoshimira :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM

While on one hand I can agree to seeing this talent......it has ALWAYS been there, it's just you had to watch the mid-field to see it, and that never gets much airplay.

But for me, I watch racing on TV to see the pro's, not the amatuers. If I simply wanted that, I can go to the MRA (or whatever) races. I want the AMA to be the big names and the big teams, the best of the best here, and if it isn't, they've lost me as a customer until they fix the situation.

And, I don't believe the factories had any advantages because of the rules per se, not like the twins get vs. the 4's. The rules are the same for everybody, the factories just get to exploit them better because of budget. But, now it's be the best-funded privateers "exploiting" the rules vs. the poor guys. There may not be quite the disparity, but it'll still exist.:)

UglyDogRacing
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
And, I don't believe the factories had any advantages because of the rules per se, not like the twins get vs. the 4's. The rules are the same for everybody, the factories just get to exploit them better because of budget.

It's more than just a big budget. The factory teams have access to things that no one else does, regardless of how much money you have. They test and develop parts long before the new bikes actually hit the showroom floors. Those parts developed for the factory race bikes are generally not available to anyone. You would never get the electronics, suspension, or internal engine parts that they run. Perfect example is the Jordan superbike that Aaron Yates rode. The Jordan team probably had a budget as big or bigger than some factories teams. Yet they did not have access to the Yosh factory parts. Check out the breakdown of the bike- http://23race.com/bike.html Everything on that bike you can buy with the exception of the motor work.

Ninja Nate
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's more than just a big budget. The factory teams have access to things that no one else does, regardless of how much money you have. They test and develop parts long before the new bikes actually hit the showroom floors. Those parts developed for the factory race bikes are generally not available to anyone. You would never get the electronics, suspension, or internal engine parts that they run. Perfect example is the Jordan superbike that Aaron Yates rode. The Jordan team probably had a budget as big or bigger than some factories teams. Yet they did not have access to the Yosh factory parts. Check out the breakdown of the bike- http://23race.com/bike.html Everything on that bike you can buy with the exception of the motor work.

:imwithstupid: If the races do get aired next year... I will DVR them and watch later when nothing else is on. I'm not going to plan my weekends around watching racing, i'll be out doing some of my own hopefully :hump:

hcr25
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
:imwithstupid: If the races do get aired next year... I will DVR them and watch later when nothing else is on. I'm not going to plan my weekends around watching racing, i'll be out doing some of my own hopefully :hump:
Awesome, what are you going to ride?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mmmm, true to some extent. Yes, they know the bore/stroke ratios, and rod lengths ahead of time, but really, it's still a matter of money. If Jordan had the cubic $$ Yosh Suzuki did, they'd be right there. And, in fact, they pretty much were. Yates was by far the best of the rest usually.

We already have plenty of series for amateurs and privateers. We want to see the factory guys, on the fastest bikes, and, sorry, but the AMA next year ain't gonna be it. With only Yo-mama-ha fielding an effort, it'll be the Yamaha Cup, which will be worse than last year because it'll be only those guys up front.....with the privateers WAY behind.

2 thumbs WAY down to the AMA (and to some extent the factories)..... This is especially sad because superbike racing as we know it was invented here in the Cook Neilson/Reg Pridmore/Cooley/Lawson/Roberts days.

Ninja Nate
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Awesome, what are you going to ride?

I've got an 08 zx10 that i'm trying to get back in the groove with. Last year she spit me off at Barber top of 2nd gear... I had it for sale for a while and was looking for a 600, but I suppose she is paid off... no reason not to keep her :hump:

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
<snip>

2 thumbs WAY down to the AMA (and to some extent the factories)..... This is especially sad because superbike racing as we know it was invented here in the Cook Neilson/Reg Pridmore/Cooley/Lawson/Roberts days.

Truer words could have never been spoken. :up:

Kenny Lawson FTW!!!!!!!

FZRguy
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM
No matter how you feel about DMG and the new rules, I’m glad the AMA has sold off pro racing and is now focused on advocacy for the average street rider, trail rider and amateur racer.

hcr25
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I've got an 08 zx10 that i'm trying to get back in the groove with. Last year she spit me off at Barber top of 2nd gear... I had it for sale for a while and was looking for a 600, but I suppose she is paid off... no reason not to keep her :hump:

Good deal. Do you plan on racing the whole season?

pg_rider
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately they are the only factory team.
Has Kawasaki confirmed that they're not racing?

Don't forget about Jordan -- he's going to be pretty close to a factory Suzuki team...

Ninja Nate
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Good deal. Do you plan on racing the whole season?

As much as I would love to say yes... its all going to come down to finances. Still paying on a house in New Mexico... Real Estate market isn't so great down there. But I'll be out there every chance I get