PDA

View Full Version : So whats everyone do for work????

Tipys
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Hey I am just wondering what everyone does for work, why they got into what your doing?

I only ask cause I my current career choose in the auto industry isnt going where I would like it to go. By no fault of my own. So I am planing on going back to school just dont know for what yet.

Any firefighters or EMT's if there are any out there I would really like to hear from you cause I thought about doing that before I went into the auto industry.

jbnwc
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm a finance/investment trainer. I got into this after mutual fund analysis and later invesment consulting. I've always loved playing with money, investing, saving, etc. and like helping other people do more with their money and help them invest/save.

A finance degree opens up a lot of possibilities and I'd imagine in 4 years the cycle of finance jobs will be speeding up again. Obviously the immediate future is pretty bleak for finance professionals.

To be good at it, though, you have to enjoy the topics that most people find pretty boring - stocks, bonds, funds, insurance, tax, etc. I can put most people to sleep pretty quick just by talking about my job.

Mista Black
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
In deciding what you want to do with the rest of your life, you need to first figure out what you want and what success is for you. For me, it's putting forth the least amount of effort for the most amount of money I can get. Since I graduated high school that's been my goal and I think I've done pretty well. I'm WAY over paid for the little bit of zero stress & exertion work I do.

This was the right path for me, because I get zero fulfillment from my job and don't want to. Each person needs to discover what they want for themselves. I know there are people who can't be happy without the killer job, and more power to them for it. Someone has to do it, I just don't want it to be me.

I work in the IT field for an oil field services company. Database stuff primarily.

dm_gsxr
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It might be a little long but it explains things.

I've been gaming since I was a kid. Chess (but not checkers), pinochle, hearts, battleship. I started wargames as I got older with Luftwaffe, Richthofen's War, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Gettysburg, and others. In The Army, I started Role Playing games, mainly Dungeons & Dragons. I continued with Car Wars, Traveller, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Talisman, Cosmic Encounters, and many others.

I snagged a 2k Sinclair Z80 (that's 2,048 bytes of RAM) and started programming. I went to a Radio Shack Color Computer and wrote some gaming tools. Programs that helped me with my gaming, not actual games.

From hobby programming and computers, I got a part time job programming after leaving The Army. I ran a BBS at home. Then I got a full time job programming and installing Novell Networks.

From there I moved to Novell, 3com, and then NT network administration. Then to Unix system administration. I've been trained as a Cisco Network Professional (CCNP) but prefer Unix.

Now I'm a Senior Unix Admin in Longmont. I have 11 computers in the house and one in Florida. Solaris, OpenBSD, Linux, OS X, Windows 98 SE, XP, and Rita has Vista.

I like computers. I like programming. And I still like gaming. I'm still writing gaming tools. I've used BASIC, MegaBasic, C, dabbled with DBase and C++. Now I'm using MySQL, PHP, and JavaScript for my gaming tools. I use Perl, shell, awk, sed, regular expressions, and other tools to create maintenance scripts. I use AirSnort, MacStumbler, TCPDump, Truss, DTrace, and other tools to understand how my computers work.

My hobbies are gaming and computers. I'm fortunate to have found a hobby where I can be paid to have fun.

Carl

Mental
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have a philosphy degree, but you already knew that. I just like saying it.

Seriusly, even if you're unsure of what, just take a few classes, get your feet wet. Most schools core program will expose you a few different things, even as a non-traditional student. You never know what you'll suddenly dig. I know plenty of happy peaple that are doiong things that have nothing to do with their degree, but regret neither.

..and I have said this before, and stand by it. I hated school, meaning 2-12. I was a terrible student, graduating from summer school after failing every grade in highshcool. I had a 1.7 GPA and was almost last in my class.

College is sooooo much better. Especially as a non-traditional student. Most folks are a lot more focused and most of the social BS as well as the babysitter mentality most primary educators are saddled with is gone. I loved college, probably becuase I was old and experinced enough to apprecaite it. Despite your few years, you have lived in the real world long enough to "get it," you'll probably really enjoy your education.

mtnairlover
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I got my bachelor's degree in Mass Communication with an emphasis in broadcasting. I loved what I was learning. I had a focus from way back in jr. high. In college, I found work in the video production field and was good at what I did. I was working in industrial video production and was enjoying it even though I was working 2 jobs and doing school full time.

I screwed up in my last year of college though. I got a call at my job from the ABC affiliate in Dayton (I was living in Ohio at the time). They wanted to interview me. I never applied for a job there. So, I went on a Friday at the end of the work day and the interviewer spent an hour and a half with me. The next week, she offered me the job. I asked if she could hold off until after the holidays for me to start cuz I had a round trip ticket to go home for the holidays. She said, "Do you want the job, or not?" Yep, I screwed up.

I was never able to find work in my field after graduating. I got a job in education only because I had a 4year degree. I fell in love with technology, because of what I could do with it...it was kind of like doing what I had done in video production...being creative.

Then I worked on my Master's degree in e-Education. Five years after finishing that degree, I'm finally working in online education, helping to design courses in technology and am loving every second of it.

Long story short....I'm a Program Design Manager (Instructional Designer) for online education.

Sometimes, it's hard to know what it is you want to do. I went for tapping my creative side. I don't necessarily care about money. I want to enjoy what I do.

So, have the college advisers help you figure out what you would be best at...and finally, go with your gut.

JohnEffinK
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Got a BS in Civil Engineering. MA in Computer Resources and Information Manangement.

Have not worked a day in either one.

Mother Army has told me otherwise for 18.5 years. Cant say bad since she has paid in full for both, to include books, other than time owed.

1.5 years and I then have a say otherwise.

John

Ceez
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Im the diver at Casa Bonita

utsv650
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Head Athletic Trainer, ATC
for Denver West High School

looking to do some personal training, too.

YES THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE

salsashark
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination...

What movie did that little gem come from?

OK... on a serious note...

Got a BS in eMarketing and worked for several years doing commercial real estate management and development. Started working for a major restaurant chain's real estate department and hated every waking minute of it so I went back to school and got an applied IT degree.

Became a web developer and have been doing it ever since. Just finished up my Masters in IT and am looking for something different... doing web stuff for almost ten years has become mundane and repetitive. I'm looking to get into information architecture or human factors engineering... who knows...

mtnairlover
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
hmmm...hey Salsa? Ever think about writing courses for online education (in IT of course)?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I've got a Phd in BS.......

No, seriously. I'm probably one of the few mechanical dorks here. I do 3D Mechanical and Industrial Design, and I've worked on everything from Moen faucetts to Dirt Devil vacuums to machining fixtures to NASA shuttle experiments to wind tunnel work, to documenting F4 Phantom mods to missile control section redesign to consumer goods like Decatur's new radar gun, etc. Been interesting.

salsashark
Fri Dec 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
hmmm...hey Salsa? Ever think about writing courses for online education (in IT of course)?

Since I'm done with school I'm gonna need something to fill my time... hmmmmm

pilot
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Im the diver at Casa BonitaROFL! You had to have been at CB recently to even think that one up. Either that, or you really do it!

Time for that episode of Southpark, Kyle's birthday bash, I believe?

slayermd
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I am in progress to get my Associates in Computer Information Systems. From there I would like to move on to Electrical Engineering.

But, as for now, I work at Adventure Golf doing maintenance.

RyNo24
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I am a Mechanics Apprentice at Go Jeep, training to be a Auto Tech while I am in school. I am going to school for Electrical Engineering. EE is a very broad degree with a lot of specialties in a lot of different fields.

slayermd
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I am a Mechanics Apprentice at Go Jeep, training to be a Auto Tech while I am in school. I am going to school for Electrical Engineering. EE is a very broad degree with a lot of specialties in a lot of different fields.

Where are you going for your EE degree?

FZRguy
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I have a BS in Business, former stockbroker now working for a large local bank in Network Services. I’ve made many career mistakes, the worst being going from entry-level job to the next entry-level job (long periods of unemployment are very bad too). Do that for 20 years and you’ll find yourself not making much money. I don’t have the technical skills to move up in IT and I’ve been out of financial services so long that I can’t go back (all my licenses have expired). So don’t do what I have done…you’ll regret it.

Gramps
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm a Regional Manager for NAPA Tools and Equipment. Long story short I sell everything from hand tools to tire machines to te automotive aftermarket.

I have been involved in some form or fashion with automotive aftermarket sales for a very long time. I have two degrees from the University of North Carolina. Never used either one directly, but hey it has helped advance my career in other ways.

:)

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I'm a remote site medic for the oil/gas industry full-time, but I also work in an ER and on the ambulance part-time when I'm home from the oil gig. I always knew I was destined for medicine, it just took a while to figure out that getting an MD wasn't the right direction for me. I've been in EMS for a bit over a decade now and will probably retire from it, especially now that I've found my niche in industrial/remote medicine. I am also back in school (online) working on a safety degree and getting OSHA licenses and such. Once I have that and maintain my medic certs, I will be able to go virtually anywhere in the world on my own terms since safety/medics with ALL of the licenses/certs are hard to come by.
I saw you wanted to chat with emergency type folks, so feel free to PM me and I can try to answer any questions you have.

200sr20
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Any firefighters or EMT's if there are any out there I would really like to hear from you cause I thought about doing that before I went into the auto industry.

I am starting school at the end of January for my EMT B cert to work towards being a firefighter.

salsashark
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm a remote site medic for the oil/gas industry full-time, but I also work in an ER and on the ambulance part-time when I'm home from the oil gig. I always knew I was destined for medicine, it just took a while to figure out that getting an MD wasn't the right direction for me. I've been in EMS for a bit over a decade now and will probably retire from it, especially now that I've found my niche in industrial/remote medicine. I am also back in school (online) working on a safety degree and getting OSHA licenses and such. Once I have that and maintain my medic certs, I will be able to go virtually anywhere in the world on my own terms since safety/medics with ALL of the licenses/certs are hard to come by.
I saw you wanted to chat with emergency type folks, so feel free to PM me and I can try to answer any questions you have.

That's awesome... you are totally my new hero... :up:

zetaetatheta
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
shocker, rocker, spocker:hump:

Canuck
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I patrol this site for habitual douche bags.

I am union, of course.

Gregger
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Denver Medic.

Search next time.. There's already a thread for this.

PhL0aTeR
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
work? whats that?

Tipys
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hey everybody here has some cool jobs. I am sorry if this was a repost I hadnt seen a thread like this before. But its nice to see what everyone does and it is helping me make up my mind on what I am going to do next. So thank you all.

MAZIN
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Im a data whore contracting for the USDA / NFC, Finishing up a BS in IT Systems with a focus on becoming a DBA. I was in Networking but HATE IT!!!! so figured I'd I would become a full time data whore.

BTW if you have Vet Preference Federal Government jobs are the way to go, Easy, pays well just very little oppertunity for advancement or to learn, except the MIlitary.

BTW dont worry about the re-post after all times change and people do change jobs.

daemon
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry.
just a grunt for a steel service here locally.
worked for nearly 17 years back in illinois doing it and have continued to do the same type job since i moved here.

over the course of nearly 20 years i have had the duties of all said respects of supplying customers of the steel industry with what they want.

currently i am a "plate processor"
meaning i operate a plasma/oxy/fuel CNC torch system and a metal shear.
albiet i am not the most educated person here. i am not dull minded.
i wouldn't still be in this type of job if i didn't like it.
currently my abilites have been noted and i have held the position of "Lead ISO Auditor" and a part time contributor to the "safety council"

i don't get great pay,but i'm happy with what i do on a daily basis.

RyNo24
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Where are you going for your EE degree?

CU Denver. I like that campus a lot.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm retired. Avons I believe were the last.

~Barn~
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Criminal Mastermind / Family Man

fook
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
how many of you who went/are in college had a solid idea of what you wanted to be before starting? or changed your mind once in? just curious.

for me, i was always a computer nerd, a bit like Carl in that I started out as a gamer and ran my own bbs.. I had a lot of friends in the bbs community, spent way too much time on irc, fancied myself part of the computer underground geek culture out in SoCal and eventually got into a bunch of trouble because of it..

.. then i graduated HS(barely) and my parents figured the best thing for me would be to get away from computers and my friends so I got shipped off to Texas to work in a family business selling booze to GI's around ft hood. working at my dad's wholesale liqour distributorship for 2 years before I absolutely couldn't handle central texas for 5 more seconds and moved here on a whim to try and get a job doing something with computers

once out here I took a job at incredible universe as a bench tech.. then CompUSA and other crappy places, I wanted to be a unix admin but everyone i worked with thought unix was dead and the A+ cert is where it was at... and all the unix shops weren't interested in hiring someone with no experience, no degree, no certs..

finally suckered a unix software development company into hiring me and that was the beginning of the end. it was the first thing that I was ever really good at and so it's kind of been the only thing I've done in life.. about 8 or so years ago though I had an epiphany when someone asked me what my hobby was and I realized my job was my hobby and that seemed almost even too nerdy for me... with my basement laboratory's computing power rivalling some companies.

I made a concerted effort to start doing things unrelated to computers and motorcycling around the southwest seemed like a fun time, so I took an ABATE class... and that was the second beginning of the end.

nowadays I look at computers as just a way to support my families life and the less time I have to tinker with them outside of work, the better... of course this comes at a little bit of a price as i get older and slowly feel some of my skills fading.

Gregger
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
how many of you who went/are in college had a solid idea of what you wanted to be before starting? or changed your mind once in? just curious.

Started college as a meteorology major... Switched to English after figuring out 6 semesters of calculus+ math wasn't a good plan. Left college my junior year after being drafted by the Anahiem Angels. Played 5 years of pro-ball, finishing school in the offseason. Got hurt, had surgery. New career time!

Decided to become a firefighter, and in CA, you had to be a minority or a medic to really have a shot at a job. Being that I'm as white as can be, I went to medic school. Stayed in EMS for the last 5+ years and will eventually go to PA school.

CN: Had an idea what I wanted to do, and path changed..

slayermd
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Out of High School, I wanted to start my own BMX comapny making frames and other parts. So I went to college for a business degree. Biggest waste of my time. It wasnt untill I took a A+ class until I relized my calling to be a geek. There is somehting about computers/tech that keeps me interseted in doing it for the rest of my life.

Ghost
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
As of Friday 12/19/08, I'm unemployed.

I think sTREET PIMP is probably a promising career field.

Get a do-it-yourself starter Ho, then work up until you own a brothel.

Look into it and let me know...

Mista Black
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't bother with college. Seemed like a lot of BS to put up with in order to get a job where I could put up with even more BS for the rest of my life. I know a lot of people who graduated high in their class from a decent university making less money than I do.

Other's mileage may very but college was not something I thought would do me any good for where I want to be in life. And I still believe it. The only times I've ever set foot on any college/university campus it was to a) work b) party c) pick up a girl d) decide that it wasn't what I wanted to do with my life or e) multiples of the previous.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I dump those portable shitters...like the ones in the parking lots at Mile High. Hey, someone has to do it.

Think
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I used to be a volunteer EMT/FF back in Maryland. I learned a hell of a lot but it took a whole lot of work. It was loads of fun and I met a lot of really cool people.

Big-J
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have sex with lonely women for money, ask your wives about me.:)
Also going to school, History/Intl. Business.

PhL0aTeR
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I dump those portable shitters...like the ones in the parking lots at Mile High. Hey, someone has to do it.

thats the wrong avatar to have while stating that fact......

sooooooooooooooo by dump, you mean slurp?????? :drink:

salsashark
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
^^ I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

DevilsTonic
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'm an Exchange Server Admin for ADT Security. Basically I sit around and make sure that the servers stay up, i design new messaging infrastructures and on rare occassions i help retarded people learn to use their email though most people in this day and age have used email (specifically Microsoft Outlook) for many years.

Filo
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I am a trust fund kid. My grandfather invented the plastic wrapped tooth pick and the rest is history. The best way to get into that line of work is to be born into it, although you can find a sex partner who is in the line of work and hook yourself onto them like a remora on a sharks ass.

Or I design general purpose data converters for a large semiconductor manufacturer.

I am pretty sure I do one of those two things.

jimwallace
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
i would love to give you a rundown on how I WENT TO COLLEGE, I am now super smart making lots of money doing something with a bunch of abbreviations (that if I even spelled out the whole title you still wouldnt understand) ...........but thats not me. I dropped out of high school got my ged ( which i scored in the top 5%:horse:) . I did a bit of this and a bit of that until i started a business of my own doing something I have no "OFFICIAL" training in, but happen to be better than most any others out there doing this. I have just recently started a second business doing something that I will enjoy a bit more (although I am not sure how much money it will make.) .........................................all i can say after all that BLAH BLAH :drink: is that you need to find out what things are important to you in a job ( ie. enjoyment, money, power, travel, ease) just figure that out and find something that fits the bill. I also agree with mental about trying things out to see if you like them by taking college classes..........especially if you have grants ect paying for them.

Priller_Nate
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I have my B.S. in Nursing with a minor in Psychology. I work as an RN in an Intensive Care Unit. It is interesting work with lots of very sick patients. Among many other things, I get to see the brain trauma that happens with alot of the helmetless riders around here. I enjoy the focused care that it allows me to offer my patients (2 patients)as opposed to working on a normal medical floor where I might have 7-9 patients. I really enjoy the extensive monitoring found in ICU and the science behind it all.

I will be returning to school yet again next year for Nurse Anesthesia where I'll be getting my Master's in Nursing with a major in Anesthesiology Nursing. Nurse anesthetists are the best kept secret in Nursing. They perform roughly 60-65% of all the anesthetics while patients undergo surgery. Pay isn't so bad either. Roughly 3.5-4x what a normal RN makes. Its no walk in the park though getting to this point. 4 years RN schooling, at least 1 year ICU experience, certs out the yin yang, and then a very competitive selection process to even get an interview. I've busted my tail the last 6 years for this moment.

I will definitely echo what a previous poster said about college being much better as a non-traditional student. When your young and dumb a good # of students simply lack the focus. When your older its amazing what you can fit on your plate and still do exceptionally well in school and enjoy it.

Whatever you decide on, see if you can shadow someone in your field of interest for a few shifts. You want to make sure its what you expect it to be before sinking the time and $$$$ into the training.

dm_gsxr
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
No college for me, at least not yet. I'm only 51 though so I still have time :D

I plan on taking some EE type classes just because I'm curious about it. If there's something up at Longmont FRCC, I'll probably be checking that out being as we're looking at a house up there (made an offer Friday).

Carl

King Nothing
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I do stuff with expensive stuff.

stimacsays
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
Control room Operator. Started at the bottom with this company 24 years ago. No, CRO in not the bottom.
Thought I would work here till something better terned up?

That's me at the helm. The 2nd small one behind my bike is mine.

thatmofo
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Whatever you choose to go to school for, don't force yourself to finish a degree you realize midway that you hate just because you started it. I have an engineering degree that I haven't used since I got it. Unfortunately for me, I get a bill every month to remind me that I am not using it.

Matt
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
I grew up in Steamboat where most people graduated high school and ended up ranching or mining. Only 6 (class of 80 students) of my class attempted college, maybe 3 of us actually earned degrees. Going to college was my parents idea, at the time I had no idea why a college education was important.

I received a Math degree (with a CS minor) from CU Boulder in 1985. Math was always easy and the degree seemed liked it took no effort. I had absolutely no idea what would happen after graduation. Why would any company hire someone just because they went to college? Ford Aerospace offered a job tracking satellites (astrodynamics), I thoroughly enjoyed that work for 9 years.

Now I'm a software engineer at FedEx (mostly writing Java/J2EE apps). I have 23 years of software experience and plan to keeping working software until there's enough money to retire.

That's not an exciting story, but having enough money to do the things I like is what it provides. Remember the addage "work to live, don't live to work".

Advice on college? Get a degree or learn a trade. Without education or formal training, minimum wage is what you're probably looking at.

DevilsTonic
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Advice on college? Get a degree or learn a trade. Without education or formal training, minimum wage is what you're probably looking at.That's not totally true, I went to college for a semester, hated it and left. I am making over 80k as an Exchange Administrator now with no degree and no current certs. Most of the employers that have hired me did so because of my experience, not because of my schooling (obviously).

College isn't for everyone and there is money to be made even if you don't have a degree. Granted I hear it makes things easier, but thank my lucky stars i havent had much trouble finding and getting the jobs that I want.

ihavealegohead
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
BA Computer Science, I'm a storage engineer and all round Linux/Unix bigot -- years ago when the industry was booming you could get into this field many times over without a degree, but I think those days are pretty much done at least untill the next industrial cycle -- Unless your in India, you'll be stuck in entry level stuff for a long time without a degree before you move up the latter.. Lose that 80k Exchange Admin job and I think you'll find the competition stiff.

DevilsTonic
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Funny thing about it is I just got this job I was their top pick over 4 other candidates, all of which have their MCSE, MCSA or messaging certs.

I've only been with ADT for 3 months, and no I don't plan on losing this job. The people i work with are great. This day and age I think a lot of employers know that an MCSE or other comparable cert doesn't necessarily prepare you for real life experience. I've worked with people that had technology degrees or other certs and they couldn't perform the simplest tasks. For example at my last job, I worked with a lady that was a tier 2 tech. She had a bachelors in computer science among other technical degrees, yet she had no understanding of how to navigate in DOS, she asked me where to find remote desktop console....simple things, that people with computer science and technology degrees should know. :)

In either case there are arguments both for and against having a degree, I didn't mean hi-jack the thread. My apologies.

zetaetatheta
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
On a serous note, I dropped out of high school, worked several meanial jobs for shit pay. So one day (Aug. 27, 1975) I decided to join the Navy. I went into the weather field and became a certified meteorologist. I also completed a math degree from U of Southern Miss. There were many times I hated the military; however, looking back after 10 years of retirement. The Navy has furnished me with $200k of income via monthly check, great medical coverage for my family for $34.00 per month and cheap groceries. I have also traveled all over the world, living in Spain, Greece, Guam and several locations in the States. I have been around the world several times and visited many foreign countries. After service life I tried civil service but really had 3 great reasons for change, June, July, and August--so I became a math/science teacher. I would never be a teacher for a first career, as the work and pay isn't worth it (IMHO), but as a second career it is fantastic. I get lots of time off and can do whatever I want over the summer, i.e. take motorcycle trips. So all-in-all I am pleased with the way things have turned out.
A college education may not be for everyone, but in our present times, with the lack of manufacturing, it is hard to make really decent money without it. Sure some people do, but they are the exception to the rule, and most of them are in the computer business. It is a fact that most college graduates will make at least a million dollars more than a non-college grad. Most--not all. So going back to school can never hurt, and like Mental said try different courses. Liberal art majors are the most new hires in the country, as they can work almost anywhere. If you are not super-talented in a specific area, college will only help you. An (O-1) officer in the military right after college makes 35-40K per year rising to 60K after 3-4 yrs with pay and allowances. Not that I advocate the military, but for some people it is a way out.

Tipys
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
On a serous note, I dropped out of high school, worked several meanial jobs for shit pay. So one day (Aug. 27, 1975) I decided to join the Navy. I went into the weather field and became a certified meteorologist. I also completed a math degree from U of Southern Miss. There were many times I hated the military; however, looking back after 10 years of retirement. The Navy has furnished me with $200k of income via monthly check, great medical coverage for my family for $34.00 per month and cheap groceries. I have also traveled all over the world, living in Spain, Greece, Guam and several locations in the States. I have been around the world several times and visited many foreign countries. After service life I tried civil service but really had 3 great reasons for change, June, July, and August--so I became a math/science teacher. I would never be a teacher for a first career, as the work and pay isn't worth it (IMHO), but as a second career it is fantastic. I get lots of time off and can do whatever I want over the summer, i.e. take motorcycle trips. So all-in-all I am pleased with the way things have turned out.
A college education may not be for everyone, but in our present times, with the lack of manufacturing, it is hard to make really decent money without it. Sure some people do, but they are the exception to the rule, and most of them are in the computer business. It is a fact that most college graduates will make at least a million dollars more than a non-college grad. Most--not all. So going back to school can never hurt, and like Mental said try different courses. Liberal art majors are the most new hires in the country, as they can work almost anywhere. If you are not super-talented in a specific area, college will only help you. An (O-1) officer in the military right after college makes 35-40K per year rising to 60K after 3-4 yrs with pay and allowances. Not that I advocate the military, but for some people it is a way out.

Funny thing is my sister said I should go and become an automotive teacher in high school. But to tell you the truth I would already be in the Air Force right now if I was even able to join the miltary. Simple thing is I had a heart transplant 10 years ago and they wont take me.

daemon
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
best part of being a "plasma CNC" operator is that i can cut many different shapes and keep or give them away as gifts to family and friends.
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7962/p9270003qm5.jpg
there's an elk and a cupid here if you look.
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9930/p9270002kx2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/daemon1965/illinois%20trip/P6300156.jpg
i have a few other designs that i can do,but i need to get pics of them.

Pandora-11
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Tipys,
Go away to college and experience the entire thing...campus living, the counselors, the help getting into classes,etc. It is a "do not miss" experience. If you are emancipated from your parents you should be able to get lots of grants and loans to pay for this. Even if you end up not doing what you train for, education is never wasted. You will meet great people, friends for life, and people to help guide you in a specific direction. If you have struggled with academics in the past, a small college atmosphere will be able to help you get through. You will never regret it.
I'd love to do college over and over. I have a Master's degree in Reading and a BS in Elem Ed and cognate in psych.

MetaLord 9
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
BA in English w/a business minor which basically qualified me to do anything for which you don't need a specialty degree such as engineering, med school, or pharmacy work.

If you don't have any specific desires (sorry, didn't read the whole thread), I'd recommend English for no other reason than you'd be shocked by how many people simply cannot write ANYTHING, especially a resume.

After that, I think a lot of it is luck. I was working at a bar when I went to pay my rent. The girl in my leasing office asked me if I'd be renewing my lease and I said I'd love to, but work'n at the bar around the corner doesn't exactly allow me to afford such a nice place. She said "well we've got a couple of jobs open," after an interview and a resume, I had a full time job that went from seasonal to permanent and then earned me a promotion to the corporate HQ here in Denver.

I work in the field of internet marketing for an apartment company, but the skills and ideas I'm picking up pretty much ensure that my next move will be a lot more lucrative and that I can start considering my own business down the road. It's the perfect mix of tech savvy (which I've had all my life), writing, and creative thinking. Basically, it's my job to get you to our website and then get you to rent one of our apartments.

Find something that you love doing and then find a way to fold it into a workable job where you can sustain yourself. Often times you'll hit upon a bunch of crap jobs and feel more like you're adding things to the DO NOT WANT List, but eventually you get lucky & hit upon the right thing.

fook
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
BA Computer Science, I'm a storage engineer and all round Linux/Unix bigot -- years ago when the industry was booming you could get into this field many times over without a degree, but I think those days are pretty much done at least untill the next industrial cycle -- Unless your in India, you'll be stuck in entry level stuff for a long time without a degree before you move up the latter.. Lose that 80k Exchange Admin job and I think you'll find the competition stiff.

the whole entry level aspect is kind of interesting to me in the unix SA field.

I started out as a low life jr level position making bumpkis for salary because I had no degree or applicable experience but did well in the interview and let them know how badly I wanted that job.

as I went up the ladder in this field I returned the favor in a way, when I interviewed I looked for people who seemed to have a genuine interest in the work and learning.. especially since the systems we were hiring SA's for you couldn't find too many people with experience so we pretty much had to assume that none of them could hit the ground running. and we often kind of took a chance on younger folks with no enterprise level experience, degrees or certs.

some worked out great, a few turned out to be fantastically terrible but we had a good cycle of younger people that we were mentoring into real professionals

nowadays, it seems like any young linux geeks out there who want to get into the field will have a really hard time of it. between outsourcing, budget cuts and just generally doing more with less doesn't leave a lot of room for jr positions.

but i dunno, could just be me..

mtnairlover
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
After I screwed up and didn't take that job at the ABC affiliate in Ohio, I graduated and came home to Denver. I couldn't find work in my field because Denver is a bigger market and competition is a lot tougher, you've got to prove yourself and back then, not too many women were on the opposite side of the camera.

A lot of the kids I came into contact with over the years in vocational education were not thinking about college and I could see it in their work habits. You have to have a desire for post secondary education. People who just don't care about it, won't do well and won't understand what more schooling can do for them. It opens your eyes to the whole world. If you're on any college campus, you come across people from all over the world...those with varying beliefs and ways of doing things. There is so much more to a post secondary education than just that piece of paper when you're done putting in your time. You tend to open your mind.

Why's that so neat? Well, maybe it's just me, but in the job market, it makes you more capable of doing more than just one kind of job when you finish.

Something that I found important in my learning was knowing what kind of learner I am. I can't just read something, especially a technical document, and know what it is I'm reading about. I have to see it and practice using it to fully comprehend. I'm a slow learner (in some instances), but once I've got it then I've got it. I had to learn to be patient with myself, as well. There is so much input with me (ie. visual, auditory, kinestetic) and only so much memory space available...lol.

Another bit of advice...if you choose a technical school, keep in mind that liberal arts classes are a good idea as a breather in between all the hard core tech info that will be crammed into your brain. Not only that, but they tend to exercise a different part of the brain.

dm_gsxr
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
nowadays, it seems like any young linux geeks out there who want to get into the field will have a really hard time of it. between outsourcing, budget cuts and just generally doing more with less doesn't leave a lot of room for jr positions.

We won't hire junior Unix SAs from outside the company. We have two help desks, developers, QA folk and application admins, so there are several who want to be Unix admins. Heck, even the Windows admins are studying Unix since we're phasing out the Windows infrastructure.

When we need a _Junior_ admin, we'll just pick from the existing folk who want to be a SA. The ones we look for outside the company are the mid level and senior admins.

So you need to start off doing scut work first. Help desk, app admin, qa, etc. Then when you have time in and a Jr position opens, you can jump for it.

In 2009 we'll have another 15 to 20 Unix computers to administer. We currently have 4 admins managing just about 200 unix servers. We'll be opening up another Junior position in the next year as well. We already have 3 or 4 folk who are itching to join the team.

Carl

DARK ANGEL
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
after doing a stint in the army as MOS/31R multichannel transmission systems operator maintainer, i have been working in mobile telecom for 15 years now and currently with a big communications company working as a switch engineer.

RajunCajun
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Whatever you choose to go to school for, don't force yourself to finish a degree you realize midway that you hate just because you started it. I have an engineering degree that I haven't used since I got it. Unfortunately for me, I get a bill every month to remind me that I am not using it.

Yeah, +1!!!! Degree & Student Loans....
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, and wish I was doing something else. Got laid off a week ago so now I'm doing nothing, guess that's something else :banghead:
I left a pretty good job as a test engineer with Caterpillar in AZ to move to CO and get laid off. Don't really want to get back into engineering but the money is good.

Kitten
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
By degree I am a Material Science Engineer, however I don't formally practice engineering. I own two business's. I agree with what a lot of people have said on here. An education doesn't need to be used for exactly what you have studied, it just gives you a foundation to work on. There's nothing to say that you can't be successful without post secondary education (I know many people that are), it's just getting more and more dificult. The most important thing in my opinion is to do something that you enjoy as you will be miserable if you don't.

Good luck!

Matty
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Graduated with a BA in Business/Finance. I work in the Snowboard industry. No i don't need to have a college degree to do what i do. However, that doesn't mean getting a college education was a waste.

Real simple.... Do what makes you happy. If you have the means to get an education, do it. Why would you not want to be educated??? Unfortunately with the exception of a few different fields even a Graduate degree doesn't help anymore. Nowadays you need to have a Masters.

Honestly the worse thing i could ever imagine is waking up one day when in my 50s and realizing that I hate my job and have hated the past 30 years doing something that has made me miserable.

GregsGSXR
Sun Dec 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM
Airport security...yes, I am the asshole that takes your shampoo. Actually it is a good Government job with good benefits. Plus my military time counts for retirement...

FZRguy
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
I agree that a college education is worth whatever it takes to get it. Like Cathy said, it’s the experience not so much the degree…def some of the best years of my life. But it’s no guarantee you’ll be making 100k five years out of college. If I had it to do over again, I’d go thru the ROTC program. Put in my 20 years and retire with a military pension in 2003. I’d be working for fun instead of money now.

vmax2003
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
well i am in the navy reserves doing time in kuwait at the moment. back in denver i work as a computer drafter doing HVAC design for a small engineering firm. I want to go back to school for computer information and security.

Gramps
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
By degree I am a Material Science Engineer, however

Good luck!

however it's from Washington State so it's pretty much equal to a two year degree from the local beauty college

:lol::lol:

Ceez
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
ROFL! You had to have been at CB recently to even think that one up. Either that, or you really do it!

Time for that episode of Southpark, Kyle's birthday bash, I believe?

LOL..sadly that used to be my pick up line in High School, the crazy thing was it worked back then. :hump:

Haha...I loved that South Park Episode....

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
I rarely enjoy what I do for work. I have been doing it since I was 10 years old. Yeah, longer than you have been alive Tips. I went to school for it. While in school I actually had 3 jobs doing what I was going to school for. Fun huh? I'd rather be doing something I like. Don't go into the field I am in. The work is only tolerable, the people are all idiots, the pay is mediocre, and the career path is a circle.

Oh, if you go away to college, get a CCW and carry on campus.

McVaaahhh
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
College was never a question, I was going and that was it.

I got a BS in Computer Information Systems and started working as a VB programmer writing residential construction software. Switched companies through mergers and such and am now a Project Lead/Manager for Weyerhaeuser in their Structural Frame Software division. We still create residential construction software, just now it C#.

FWIW, college was a kick-ass time and I'm glad I went. :up:

fook
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
We won't hire junior Unix SAs from outside the company. We have two help desks, developers, QA folk and application admins, so there are several who want to be Unix admins. Heck, even the Windows admins are studying Unix since we're phasing out the Windows infrastructure.

thats the way it should be, and i'm glad to see it still works out that way. just seems like the environments ive been in have moved away from that model... before this gig I was at ibm.. where at least in our area, we almost never moved people in from peer or lower tier support groups... now the only new blood going into those teams are coming from Argentina and India... usually without even an interview, just new virtual bodies randomly appearing... and local ones slowly vanishing.

at my current company we have brought up one person from our operations support into the jr SA role but with only one exception, there isn't anyone else down there who even seems interested... older guys not keen on advancing.. just the paycheck.

now we've got 3 openings posted but only looking for mid-sr level people that'll come up to speed quickly and handle some of the ever expanding workload.

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
I am not really sure what I actually do here, but they pay me every two weeks.

Weird, so I keep showing up.

Matty
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
I rarely enjoy what I do for work. I have been doing it since I was 10 years old.

You're a Liar old man.... they didn't have computers back then.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hey[comma after interjection] I am just wondering what everyone does for work,[“and” not comma] why they got into what your
[“you are” is contracted as “you’re”. “Your” is used to show possession, as in: “Your grammar sucks!”
Additionally your sentence changes from plural “why they” to the singular “what you’re”.] doing?
I only ask cause [An apostrophe should precede the contraction of the word “because” to “’cause”.]
I my[My] current career choose [choice] in the auto industry isnt [isn’t] going where I would like it to go [redundant].
By no fault of my own .[Should preface prior sentence. As in: “Through no fault of my own, my current career choice in the auto industry….”]
So I am planing [planning] on [to] going [go] back to school [and] just dont [don’t] know for what yet[know yet what for].
Any firefighters or EMT's if there are any out there[If there are any Firefighters or E.M.T. professionals out there,]
I would really like to hear from you [Don’t change from second person plural to second person singular, use “them” not “you”.] cause [‘cause or because]
I [had] thought about doing that before I went into the auto industry.

I became an English teacher and I love it.
Though I'm hesitent to recommend it to you as a career path.

ihavealegohead
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I rarely enjoy what I do for work. I have been doing it since I was 10 years old. Yeah, longer than you have been alive Tips. I went to school for it. While in school I actually had 3 jobs doing what I was going to school for. Fun huh? I'd rather be doing something I like. Don't go into the field I am in. The work is only tolerable, the people are all idiots, the pay is mediocre, and the career path is a circle.

Oh, if you go away to college, get a CCW and carry on campus.

Posting on CSC is a job!!?!?! I didn't know they had vBulletin back then -- oh right -- they called it FIDO BBS --

~Barn~
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Even though I only went for a little bit, I do have to agree with everybody who is promoting a college "experience". Depending on what you make of it, it's such an opportunity to make some incredible memories.

Outside of just the really cool things that you have an opportunity to learn, you have a chance to make life-long friends; to refine your sense of the world, by meeting and interacting with people from different cultures. You can experience things like dorm-room living, and walking across campus to football games; living and finding fun on a budget. Even just knowing what home-sick really feels like, it's all worth the experience. And if you take it to the point where you earn a degree, and that degree helps you direct your life, then it's even worth the hard work.

There aren't too many things I get overly romantic about, and as somebody who never finished college, I'm a firm believer that there's a vast distinction between education and knowledge. But that being said, there is simply no replacement for the things you experience being an on-campus college student. :up:

t_jolt
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Funny thing about it is I just got this job I was their top pick over 4 other candidates, all of which have their MCSE, MCSA or messaging certs.

I've only been with ADT for 3 months, and no I don't plan on losing this job. The people i work with are great. This day and age I think a lot of employers know that an MCSE or other comparable cert doesn't necessarily prepare you for real life experience. I've worked with people that had technology degrees or other certs and they couldn't perform the simplest tasks. For example at my last job, I worked with a lady that was a tier 2 tech. She had a bachelors in computer science among other technical degrees, yet she had no understanding of how to navigate in DOS, she asked me where to find remote desktop console....simple things, that people with computer science and technology degrees should know. :)

In either case there are arguments both for and against having a degree, I didn't mean hi-jack the thread. My apologies.

Bah, there you go again starting trouble. Also i must agree with leah, for One, i dont have a college degree nor certs. am I the smartest computer guy hell no. But if you has some skill and are willing to learn, and consult google (i know your laughing leah) before asking questions, you can get a deal done and learn alot. Hell, im a sys admin making 60k a year. i've only been in computers 8 years. Started at best buy, then slowly moved around and gain knowledge. Also it helps a lot if you have friends that are willing to help you out in a tight spot, and seriously im sure most of us know this. FIND A PLACE YOU FIT IN. You have to get along with your co-workers/boss. I worked 6 months being a sys admin for a company. The Boss and i would exchange words all the time, at least one yelling match a day for 6 months. worst job ever. period. Also if your HOA management company is Hammersmith, tell them i said a big F you to clint :)

Find a place you fit in, at least have some skill set, and have drive to learn and take responsibility for your actions. You wouldnt believe some of the shit i've gotten away with cause after it was done, i said i did it, im sorry, ill make sure i wont do it again. Instead of trying to pass the buck on someone else and making it their problem.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Funny thing about it is I just got this job I was their top pick over 4 other candidates, all of which didn't have perky breasts. .....

^^^^Fixed it for ya Leah.

I don't have a degree either.
I entered the programming feild before most educational institutions gave degrees in computer sciences.
Luckily most IT directors recognize that years of experience (started programming in 3rd grade in the early 70's) is worth more than a cert. or degree.

Suki
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
CU Denver. I like that campus a lot.

that's where I work. Admin Assist in the IT department but starting January 5th I'll be working at the Anschutz Medical Center in Aurora.

I've almost finished my BS in Computer Info Systems and have decided after working in IT that its not for me. I'm doing alot less now for alot more $$ and its nice. :D

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
That's awesome... you are totally my new hero... :up:

LOL...absolutely no reason - I got lucky and landed myself THE cush job. I basically get paid good money to sit on my bum and entertain myself for two weeks at a time. I get a lot of computer and Wii time in with a very occasional interruption to check on someone's boo-boo..haha At least that's what it feels like right now since we are on a slow down and in between major projects here at the research site where I live/work. But I get to go home here in a few hours and I'm more than stoked...woo-hoo!

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
New career opportunity (http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/12/messy-gift-wrapping-service-launched-by.html)

salsashark
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
LOL...absolutely no reason - I got lucky and landed myself THE cush job. I basically get paid good money to sit on my bum and entertain myself for two weeks at a time. I get a lot of computer and Wii time in with a very occasional interruption to check on someone's boo-boo..haha At least that's what it feels like right now since we are on a slow down and in between major projects here at the research site where I live/work. But I get to go home here in a few hours and I'm more than stoked...woo-hoo!

see... now you're just bragging! :lol:

UglykidJoe
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
I started out in the construction world, graduated on a Saturday at work the following Monday....Ahead 12 yrs or so.. got tired of doing things for other people on their time, decided to go to x-ray school, became a tech worked at Avista Hospital for about 8-9 yrs got offered a job in the IT dept at Centura, I am now an Analyst over the Radiology depts for 12 hospitals 3-4 Urgent Care clinics and other things that I try to put out of my mind because they cause me more aggravation then it is worth. I still hold my license for x-ray, just in case the IT gig drags me down.

Frosty
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
I work for a Church and think God hates me. I get paid for purchasing (Shopping) for a living. It's not hard. No one really knows what I do, so they leave me alone.

Went to college to become an Art teacher. The only class I did well in was Fencing ( any jobs out there for a Foilist?). That all lasted a year and a half. I haven't painted, drawn, sculpted, airbrushed or anything since 1994 and still to this day have no desire too.

Life is working out just as I planned.
Let me know when you want to trade jobs/lives?!

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
IT work is the work of a garage mechanic.

When autos were first built you had to be an engineer to work on them. Now you just need to know 1/2" from 9/16".

When computers first arrived you had to be a scientist to use them. Now you just need to know left button from right.

I have not found anything in the IT field to be new, fun, and challenging in the past 7 years. I almost hate it now. I think I would rather wash dishes at a nice restaurant than do what I am doing now. Time for a job change maybe.

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM

When autos were first built you had to be an engineer to work on them. Now you just need to know 1/2" from 9/16".

When computers first arrived you had to be a scientist to use them. Now you just need to know left button from right.

I have not found anything in the IT field to be new, fun, and challenging in the past 7 years. I almost hate it now. I think I would rather wash dishes at a nice restaurant than do what I am doing now. Time for a job change maybe.

+1
Not much Challenge in IT anymore:banghead:

~Barn~
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Time for a job change maybe.

I think you just need a beer.

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Don't get me wrong...I am extremely Grateful to have a job.

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM

Naw, I can enjoy a beer anytime.

I need to revitalize my career. Am I too old for the Army?

Matty
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I think I would rather wash dishes at a nice restaurant than do what I am doing now. Time for a job change maybe.
Nothing better than getting high and washing Dishes, lol.

Common Dana, let's go on the hunt for new jobs washing dishes.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
[quote=Canuck;391457]I patrol this site for habitual douche bags.
quote]
....look in the mirror.......:)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Mike Rowe in da house!:)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I have sex with ugly women for money
Fixored it for ya Big-J!:)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

see... now you're just bragging! :lol:

Yes, yes I am....you caught me!

fook
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
+1

no offense but if theres not much challenge you must not have much IT going on... or you're not in the proper role.

I dunno about you guys but i've had quite a few challenges over the past several years, pushing hard from nut n bolt boxes to virtualized servers to virtualized storage and networking on virtualized servers.. partition mobility, performance of these larger boxes and understanding how some of these systems are really working under the covers.. micropartitioning on ibm pSeries and what exactly is that hypervisor doing as it adds and removes cpu slices on the fly amongst a group of partitions... what is too much disk to decide when a server should use virtualized san adapters vs dedicated.. finding that sweet spot. managing our SAN disk effectively and trying to make the most of our NAS storage by implementing dedupe...

now we've got WPARs on top of LPARs.. where to use this technology, where doesn't it make sense etc..

only more coming, we've rolled out vmware esx hard here for the past 2 years and have had to deal with a lot of growing pains.. im looking forward to some of the new stuff coming up.

then you have programming, anyone who tells me they've mastered perl just doesn't have a very good imagination.. i tend to think.

Snowman
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I am a Facilities Designer working for the United States Antarctic Program under a contract with Raytheon to the National Science Foundation. My job entails creating, maintaining and updating engineering documentation in support of the US interests on the continent of Antarctica.

Basically, we help to keep the scientists alive while they are doing their research. Because we all know most scientists can understand things on scales we mere mortals could never possibly comprehend but they are incapable of tieng their own shoelaces.

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
no offense but if theres not much challenge you must not have much IT going on... or you're not in the proper role.

I dunno about you guys but i've had quite a few challenges over the past several years, pushing hard from nut n bolt boxes to virtualized servers to virtualized storage and networking on virtualized servers.. partition mobility, performance of these larger boxes and understanding how some of these systems are really working under the covers.. micropartitioning on ibm pSeries and what exactly is that hypervisor doing as it adds and removes cpu slices on the fly amongst a group of partitions... what is too much disk to decide when a server should use virtualized san adapters vs dedicated.. finding that sweet spot. managing our SAN disk effectively and trying to make the most of our NAS storage by implementing dedupe...

now we've got WPARs on top of LPARs.. where to use this technology, where doesn't it make sense etc..

only more coming, we've rolled out vmware esx hard here for the past 2 years and have had to deal with a lot of growing pains.. im looking forward to some of the new stuff coming up.

then you have programming, anyone who tells me they've mastered perl just doesn't have a very good imagination.. i tend to think.

We get to do a lot of that We entirely own the IT infrastructure for all of our offices in this state, MO, NE, and CA. Everything. I still do not find it a challenge. 15 years ago this would be fun. Right now it is boring, and dull. I am not as excited about IT as I was when I started 26 years ago.

rforsythe
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I work for a Church and think God hates me. I get paid for purchasing (Shopping) for a living. It's not hard. No one really knows what I do, so they leave me alone.

Went to college to become an Art teacher. The only class I did well in was Fencing ( any jobs out there for a Foilist?). That all lasted a year and a half. I haven't painted, drawn, sculpted, airbrushed or anything since 1994 and still to this day have no desire too.

Life is working out just as I planned.
Let me know when you want to trade jobs/lives?!

This is a contender for best post of this thread yet!

+1

Depends on what you do. I was in the same boat, but my current job is actually interesting again. Then again I get to play on one of the largest eCommerce sites in the world and do things here that most companies haven't even thought about, which helps. That said though, I'm about one more layoff away from finding a new field altogether (not expecting it, but who knows).

Now see that's one more benefit of my current job - beer fridge under the desk next to me, and a large disparity between the "CYA employee policy" and "reality" (in other words, if you pop a beer at noon on a Tuesday, nobody will care).

Pachuco
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM

I totally agree with you.
Sometimes I think how hard would it be to just drive a truck all day.
sit on my ass and pretend i care about the other drivers out there.

I have been in IT who knows how long. it is boring, annoying end users. I could go on.

Now I am middle management as the IT Director of a major Security Consulting company.

I just have to wait until Feb/March then I move over to the consulting side of the company .
cool thing about here i get to play with all the equipment that Ralph has and more.

new and upcoming routers/switches and servers OH my!!!! enterprise class DNS Appliances, and much more.
so I am starting to like my future some. new toys, new areas of IT such as hacking companies with a get out of jail free card. :hump:

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I would not mind getting back into consulting. I was good at it. It was fun. It changed every day. The pay was MUCHO!!

Snowman
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ah the good ol days when even Anglia was playing with computers.

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1869/posters/poster1.jpg

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
There was a nip-slip in that movie too. Intentional, I am sure :)

My name is "The Plague"

uh, Mister "The Plague" /Penn

Pachuco
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ya this will my second go at consulting. the first time I got laid-off hopefully history wont repeat itself.

fook
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
We get to do a lot of that We entirely own the IT infrastructure for all of our offices in this state, MO, NE, and CA. Everything. I still do not find it a challenge. 15 years ago this would be fun. Right now it is boring, and dull. I am not as excited about IT as I was when I started 26 years ago.

ah see then, you're just definitely in the wrong role. i like the problem solving, bringing in the new technology and rolling it out, training peers on how it all works.. rinse, repeat. coming up with best practices and all that stuff for the organization then go home and play some left4dead, pretending zombies are really just project managers.

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

The company has near ZERO dollars for IT budget..
No Money, No Upgrades.

Steve you can make it work FOREVER:shocked: Bored and Pissed off working with obsolete gear

salsashark
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
The company has near ZERO dollars for IT budget..
No Money, No Upgrades.

Steve you can make it work FOREVER:shocked: Bored and Pissed off working with obsolete gear

Try working for the gov...

"We have to be sure technology is solid"
=
"We're out dated and don't plan on doing anything about it... deal with it"

I feel your pain... considering getting out of web dev and back into facilities/real estate management... unfortunately that may mean Texas :shock:

***I'm having one of those "F the world" days... I think I may have to leave early...

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
We still have a P3 server. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :scream1::banghead::banghead:

Thank Jeebus for eBay or I would never get parts.

Shoestring Fucking assholesmutherfuckingtightwadfuckheads

AND the CEO IS CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scream1:

But I am still thankful to have a JOB.

sky_blue
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
College was never an option, it was a requirement. My parents kicked my ass every step of the way to make sure of that.

So when application time came, I browsed through the list of majors and picked one that sounded interesting. Not the best way to pick a career. I picked "geophysics". I had liked sciences classes, especially physics - but the thought of pure physics seemed too cerebral, so geophysics sounded cool. Chemistry also sounded good. I really like art and music also, but my parents had brain washed me for years that these were hobbies, and not career choices.:scream1:

Thanks to a chance meeting with a "women in sciences" recruiter with the University of California, I ended up enrolled there. During the middle of my second year of physics classes, three tries to pass 3rd quarter calc, and after flunking differential equations, I backed off the physics stuff and switched majors to geology and picked up a minor in environmental science. Geology classes were filled with much more down to earth people, with field trips to beautiful places, and camping, and beer.

I went on to grad school in geology, not because I loved the subject, but because I had done well enough as an undergrad that I was "expected to". Grad school was a mistake for me. I had fun and I learned some more, but ultimately it was a waste of cash. I'm really one of those people that enjoy a cursory knowledge of a wide variety of topics--make me get stuck learning everything about one tiny thing and I get bored. I never finished, and the first draft of my thesis is still in a box. Now, my years working my field and my professional license are worth more than the MS would be.

Thanks to a good contact, I got a job out of grad school as an entry level geologist at an environmental consulting firm. Getting this job without the master’s degree would have been nearly impossible without my contact. This consulting company did things like site investigations and cleanup for a variety of clients, mostly people who had dumped/spilled chemicals on the ground. We'd do things like drill holes to try to figure out how much shit was spilled, maybe put in a remediation system, and then monitor and write reports. I had a great mentor who taught me the technical aspects of the job, and the non-technical skills of the consulting business. I learned more from him in 4 years than I did in college. Not to say that I could have done it without the technical base I got in college.

Consulting is hard work and long hours, especially in a competitive market. It's stressful. People actually get fired/sued/lose licenses for doing things like letting a driller drill 5 feet past a confining clay layer without casing the hole, because he thought he had 20 augers still on the rack and you were too busy giving a map to the utility locator that you didn't count that he only had 19. I did weeks in 120 degree heat, weeks in the snow, all-nighters in the office, months in the blowing desert dust, months spending 3-4 hours everyday commuting LA freeways. The job is interesting in that there are always new places to go, but some things are pretty repetitive, like logging soil and packaging samples. The pay was ok. But after 4 years, I felt like I had been only doing it for 4 months—time gone by in a blink! I saw how my whole life could slip away and it would be filled with only work! There are people I work with that never do less than a 50 hour week, never vacation, never stop and look around.

So this is where my story should say something about how I sold all my junk and bought a motorcycle and took off into the sunset...too bad I didn't. It's hard to just drop everything. I did manage to sell my house and move to Colorado. I'm back in consulting, because I have to pay the bills. I work way less hours, and for a company that is less cut-throat, and the clients are a tad less litigation happy. The jobs here are more boring, and I generally don't like coming to work. My window office has been replaced by a sad cube. I'm a mediocre employee. They keep asking me to manage projects, but I don't want to. I won’t get ahead in consulting this way, that’s for sure, but why should I want to?

I do just enough to be somewhat useful so they’ll send me places. In the last year I’ve been to South Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.

If I could do anything, I would quit my job and go to art school. I would mix paint at Home Depot on the side. But then I couldn’t buy things like CBR600RRs and track days, and GPSs, and dirtbikes, and iPods, and WarCraft subscriptions and full leather outfits.

puckstr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Dana I have two words for you:

Prestige Worldwide
http://www.lookatmeshirts.com/uploadedfiles/real/20080804072315_BOATSb.jpg

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
If I could do anything, I would quit my job and go to art school. I would mix paint at Home Depot on the side. But then I couldn’t buy things like CBR600RRs and track days, and GPSs, and dirtbikes, and iPods, and WarCraft subscriptions and full leather outfits.

You could sell your WoW gold to pay for WoW :)

Let's find a way to make a nice living riding dual sports!!!

sky_blue
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
For the Horde
Dual-Sport Touring, Inc.

yes.

Matty
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Dana I have two words for you:

Prestige Worldwide
http://www.lookatmeshirts.com/uploadedfiles/real/20080804072315_BOATSb.jpg

Prestige Worldwide...

Hahahaha.. watched "Step Brother's" last night.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Basically, we help to keep the scientists alive while they are doing their research. Because we all know most scientists can understand things on scales we mere mortals could never possibly comprehend but they are incapable of tieng their own shoelaces.
So, you design boots with velcro instead of laces for them too?:)

Snowman
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
So, you design boots with velcro instead of laces for them too?:)Velcro Ha I wish, they are called bunny boots and you inflate them with air...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/339024717_cc2e841de2.jpg

JohnEffinK
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Mickey Mouse Boots for old school mil folks....

John

towneh
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
"Mickey Mouse Boots for old school mil folks...."
era 1971 a la alaskan pipeline RECON :) bus_henry

Mental
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
... Geology classes were filled with much more down to earth people...

I cannot be the only one who caught that.

Seriously, it was a great post, but you all missed the Geology humor. Do you know how rare a geology joke is, much less a funny one?

FZRguy
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I would mix paint at Home Depot on the side.

My vote for best post. :lol:

sky_blue
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I cannot be the only one who caught that.

Seriously, it was a great post, but you all missed the Geology humor. Do you know how rare a geology joke is, much less a funny one?

:slappers: Of quartz I know there are no funny geology jokes. Every once in a while you hear one, so don't take it for granite.

We also get to say words like cleavage, knockers, dike, bedding, and conchoidal with a straight face.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Velcro Ha I wish, they are called bunny boots and you inflate them with air...

Dead air space acting as an insulator? It's funny, but I'd imagine a NASA space suit would work great in that cold. PITA to get on, but.... I mean, hell, space is WAY colder! Brings back memories of "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" by Heinlein, specifically when they went to Pluto.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
If I could do anything, I would quit my job and go to art school. I would sniff paint at Home Depot on the side. But then I couldn’t buy things like kinky leather outfits.
Fixed it for ya!:)

dirkterrell
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
You scientist bashers are going to be in a world of hurt when I get back into town.

Dirk

rforsythe
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
You scientist bashers are going to be in a world of hurt when I get back into town.

Dirk

What are you gonna do, go all calculus on em?

"I will square root your bitch asses!"

Dirkterrell: Engineer of DOOM.

This could go all night...

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
What are you gonna do, go all calculus on em?

"I will square root your bitch asses!"

Dirkterrell: Engineer of DOOM.

This could go all night...

When I unleash my Moon-based death ray through the HST, you will all understand the meaning of mad scientist.

Dirk

rforsythe
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
When I unleash my Moon-based death ray through the HST, you will all understand the meaning of mad scientist.

Dirk

Pfft. I already have two of those.

Tipys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
I became an English teacher and I love it.
Though I'm hesitent to recommend it to you as a career path.

Aw come on I know what a metaphor is. Isn't that enough?

gtn
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM

Dirk

Oh no... one lab accident away from becoming a super villain. :shocked:

:lol:

BTW, I thought Hubble wasn't functioning.

puckstr
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
Go for it Dirk. The world needs a Super Villian.

I want to be a high ranking henchmen. It has to be a better job then IT.

salsashark
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
^^ Can you hurl bacon with deadly accuracy?

rforsythe
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM

You can't?

All I know is death rays and killer bacon don't stand a chance against my sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their foreheads!

gtn
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:02 AM

That's the thing about the modern super villain... they need IT to run their business just like any other.

Like the rest of us in IT, you're doomed. :cry:

puckstr
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM

out of my ass:)

This IS better than IT

Were you a bully or bullied in school?

Do you look death in the eye and wet your pants?

Are you sick of being an indiviual?

Do you still live at home with mom and dad?

Do you have a pulse?

If you answered YES to any of these questions then why not try a career in henching?

We are looking for smart, dumb, young, old, thin, fat. Whatever. No one cares what you look like! You will have a mask on anyway! *GASP* What? You don't think you are cut out to be one of the Monarch's Men? (Or women) Let me tell you sir/madam that the Monarch is an equal oppertunity employer!

LET US RAIN DOWN FROM THE SKIES!!!

sky_blue
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
I didn't flush. LET THEM SEE THE WRATH OF THE MONARCH!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/TheOneLyra/monarch.jpg

Snowman
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

Dirk
Yes, but who will build this proposed Moon-based death ray?
An engineer that’s who, and you want to know how this will go?

You’ll have a project kick off meeting where your design and costs will be unveiled and every engineer at the table will look at you like you are truly mad.

This forces you to go back to your government agency to get more money.

With your larger budget a project team will be assembled and a first submittal design will be created. It will be determined that your original proposed cost will have be exceeded by at least 3 times in order to create a death level ray because the current budget will only get you to a slightly maiming ray.

Once more funding has been attained and the proper amount of death in this ray is reached, construction will being. However, due to the shortened timetables and the need for hard to find qualified death ray workers, this will create more cost overruns.

The unit will be fully built here on earth and all its systems will be tested and will function properly. Now is the time it is reviled how this death ray is to be transported to its moon location and it is discovered that most of the components are too large to fit inside the vehicle and will have to be redesigned.

After this redesign you now ready to load your containers aboard your vehicle for transport. However, unexpected weather delays force postponement costing you more money for every day you have to wait.

Once you have transported all your equipment, construction personnel and support faculties to your moon site, you will inevitable discover some aspect of the site that will require changes to your design. Such as the waste heat from the death ray melting the lunar surface into glass creating an unstable foundation forcing you to move locations.

And on, and on, and on…

Let’s face it, most scientists don’t know that planetary gears have nothing to do with orbital mechanics so its hard to believe they could ever get a death-ray moon based or not off the ground without some major engineering help. :)

(Sorry for the length.Its Tuesday before Christmas, no one is in the office and yes I and board...)

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
I tried being a drug dealer but all my profit's kept going up in smoke????:silly:
Now I just go around telling people what to do.:slap::scream1:
Seriously, I have my own flooring company, am a slave labor, but LOVE what I do!!:hump:
I are college edukated but dont use it much anymore......:rolleyes:.

dapper
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
(Sorry for the length.Its Tuesday before Christmas, no one is in the office and yes I and board...)
Dirk will 'Fixed Fee' your ass!

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
You can't?

All I know is death rays and killer bacon don't stand a chance against my sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their foreheads!
They already work for me ! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH>>*HACK* COUGH*....dammit
http://www.me-thinks.com/pix/shark.jpg

Snowman
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Dirk will 'Fixed Fee' your ass!

Ha, if he went fixed fee the closest he would get to a death ray would be a weak flashlight. :)

BlueDevil
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Gov. Collector meaning I collect bills he gov fails to pay.. I got into it cause I got laid off about 7 yrs ago upstairs and this was the only other job avail to stay at the company. Been lay off dodgin ever since. Love Telecom

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM

Dirk
http://cowbird.110mb.com/46/engineer.png

inkahootz
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
well, im gonna post on this thread because you ALL should know what i do cuz I put in fantastic, beautifully crafted granite countertops at a very affordable price to all that contact me. well really that IS what i do. but more specifically, i work for a small (very very small) family owned company, dad owns it, brother fabricates and i sell it. The stress of working for family is difficult at times but I seriously have a passion for what I do and even after a hard day it is worth it, its worth every minute (my dad is standing behind me, btw) I received a BA in Corporate Communications, didnt use my degree but I dont regret a single penny.

Sortarican
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM

Not always:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KmNVZs-VI

Airreed
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm in the United States Army...just got back to CO a few days ago via another fun filled year in Iraq. I'm branched Military Police, currently a company commander in charge of about 150 Soldiers. I should be getting a promotion and will be assigned as the State Antiterrorism Officer.

I too have a BS in Sociology/Crim Justice dont use it, but ill be starting my MA in a few months on Uncle Sam's dollar.

~Barn~
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Don't let him fool you. Jason wins bad-beat jackpots to keep the bills paid.

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Ralph's Minions:
http://www.treehugger.com/china-segway-olympics-security.jpg

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
out of my ass:)

This IS better than IT

Why not try a career in henching?

We are looking for smart, dumb, young, old, thin, fat. Whatever. No one cares what you look like! You will have a mask on anyway!
LET US RAIN DOWN FROM THE SKIES!!!
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/mattsavigear/st_henchmen_motivator.jpg

Tipys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Something I keep hearing is people not using there degree for there job. Well I dont mean to be rude but I have to say thats bullshit. Here is why you went to school to get it right which in turn gave you life expaicne which one uses everyday unless you some how got your degree then went brain dead. Sorry if you dont want to hear it but thats the way life is.

Sortarican
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Something I keep hearing is people not using there degree for there job....

I've always recommended that anyone planning to attend a 4(+) year college do the first two years as a Liberal Arts major.

Everything they'll learn will usually be applicable to any major they might decide to pursue.
And it will make them a more rounded person regardless of what career they eventually fall into.

Wyck
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Damn I had this whole long post written up hit submit and it tells me I'm not logged in and my post is gone...guess I took too long writing it :banghead: Maybe if I'm bored later I will try again.

~Barn~
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Damn I had this whole long post written up hit submit and it tells me I'm not logged in and my post is gone...guess I took too long writing it :banghead: Maybe if I'm bored later I will try again.

Now the forum doesn't even like you. :p

Bueller
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
electrition

eg bter
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Electrical Engineer...work for a small contract engineering firm. People pay us to make there ideas work.

Captain Obvious
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Business Analyst.

I turned wrenches in the NAVY for 5 years, then was a cop for 3 (worked at a PD for 6 years total) while I took the 7 years plan to get through college with a Management Information Systems degree.

Stumbled into a job as a business analyst in the pension industry building custom applications. I am the person that handles all the functional work, documentation and direction to the developers who code the system. Then back and forth between the client and the developers.

My job is okay (bordering on blah), the pay is great but I am limited in career expansion. My projects are long and limited in variation, so I don't get to expand my job skills and experience. For me, it may be back to school to allow me to make a career change unless I can stumble into security consulting or working as a consultant in law enforcement.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
electrition

Hah...I caught it Bueller.

Scer
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM
After hearing numerous women say, "it's ok, sometimes less is better" I decided that the same can be true for women as well. So I invented the crotchless panties. Now it's has brought peace and love to many people. I think of it as my way to contribute to society as a win-win situation.

invent on inventas