PDA

View Full Version : 9 degress this morning

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
And my visor was freezing up a little. I need to chase down my nose piece for the helmet for riding in the colder weather.

Took the SV to work. Need to run a tank of gas through it and keep the battery charged. The cold tires and road make for a few interesting stops.

Ride safe.

Carl

Devaclis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Had the main road outside my neighborhood AND the sidewalks not been covered in ice I would have road in. Everything else was in really good shape :(

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Bikes are not ment to be out in this icebox.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I started my bikes up in the back yard Sunday.
(Yeah...I'm hard-core!):slappers:

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
And my visor was freezing up a little. I need to chase down my nose piece for the helmet for riding in the colder weather.

Took the SV to work. Need to run a tank of gas through it and keep the battery charged. The cold tires and road make for a few interesting stops.

Ride safe.

Carl

Carl, you're my new hero.:bow: I wussed out after I went outside to walk the dog this morning and couldn't feel my fingers after about 5 minutes. :cold:

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
It actually was a fine ride. I rode down the sidewalk to the street since the street in front of my place was a sheet of ice. There wasn't any ice anywhere else. When I stopped at the first light, I downshifted a bit too aggressively and the back end stepped out just a little but that was it. Just the normal "haven't been on the bike in a week, and a different bike" to get used to. After that it was ok.

Carl

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
My ride is about 29 miles, mostly highway. if the wind chill charts are right, that's half an hour or 45 minutes at -21 degrees. My jacket and pants would prolly be ok, but even my heated gloves ain't gonna be enough.

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
My ride is about 29 miles, mostly highway. if the wind chill charts are right, that's half an hour or 45 minutes at -21 degrees. My jacket and pants would prolly be ok, but even my heated gloves ain't gonna be enough.

You need some different gloves then. I'm using Gerbings gloves. They held up ok, although my left thumb was getting a bit cold. I had my larger gear on this morning as well. Quilted lining for my Joe Rocket pants and heated Gerbings liner for the Alter Ego jacket.

Other than my breath freezing on contact in the helmet, I was good. When I carried the helmet into the building, my fingers started freezing on contact. That helmet was fricking cold!

Carl

Edit: Oh, and I ride from Broomfield up to Longmont mainly via 287. Not high speed highway but 65 to 70mph in places.

dm_gsxr
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Just checked the local weather. It was 5 degrees this morning, not 9. I think it was 9 in Denver (I was watching the news) but wunderground.com shows Longmont at 5 degrees at 8am.

Still haven't reached my personal record, but I'm getting close (3.7 degrees was the lowest so far).

Carl

madvlad
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Bikes are not ment to be out in this icebox.

I beg to differ, I rode for about 2 hrs last night lol.... yes it was cold but can't stop riding cause it's awesome.