PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice.

MichaelS
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Okay so as some may know by now I am a new rider and I just wanted to know when everyone else starts ridding again?

Any input at all?
Thanks.

Clovis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
It depends on the weather. I've ridden as early as late January all though it's pretty damn cold!

Typically you'll start to see a lot of people out beginging in late April and early May but after a few months of winter cabin fever sets in and you'll see people posting up rides any day that it gets up to 60 degrees =P

Just remember, most of the rides go to the mountains and their higher elevation means significantly colder temps and of course sand on the road.

-Clovis

thatmofo
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ride year round. Just wait for clear days. I rode last Friday for awhile.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
When I want to --- and there is no ice.

PhL0aTeR
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I rode today..... both bikes even.... lol

gsxrscott
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ridden everyday for the last 5 years! Ice kinda sucks, but slow and steady.

billsmith7
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Who stopped?

200sr20
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
I like to avoid ice and excessive gravel

dallas
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
As long as the roads aren't too icey, I still roll two wheels (when I have street legal 2-wheels). Being a rider, I am constantly checking road conditions (ie. gravel, sand, ice, whatever...) and watch the weather forcasts every morning. Only you know your own confidence level. The worse thing that you can do is put yourself in a situation where you aren't comfortable. Then if you go down or anything unfortunate happens, you may just give up riding all together.

I guess to sum it up, the best advice I can give is to take a MSF course, ride well within your comfort zone, try your best to avoid situations where you are over your head, don't ride with people who are unsafe or who don't look out for people they are riding with and if afforded the opportunity, do a track day. The Springs folks are a good group of people and we welcome new riders. We will help you out with riding tips, bike maint. and pretty much anything you can think of bike related.

636chick
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
:banghead::scream1:

You are all CRAZY :crazy:

When the weather hits 75 again the princess will ride again!!!!!!!

As Mental say's if you see Krissy a rid'in then you know the weather is going to be good!!!! I'm like the freakin Farmers almanac of fair weather ridin!!!!

and yes Bash does hang his head and sigh's damn it and she calls herself a BASH!!!!!

MetaLord 9
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
clean roads = bike time. Only thing I worry about. Well that and whether or not the snow melts during the day & freezes on the road for the evening commute. Cold is only a function of your gear.

RF900guy
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM

As Mental say's if you see Krissy a rid'in then you know the weather is going to be good!!!! I'm like the freakin Farmers almanac of fair weather ridin!!!!

and yes Bash does hang his head and sigh's damn it and she calls herself a BASH!!!!!

Krissy,

You are a Bash by marriage. You are not a Bash by blood. Or do you some sort of sick twisted love connection going on?

Ceez
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Michael, I am a noob also...just started riding this summer and bought my bike in September. I am definitely all for taking the MSF course, teaches you so much. The first day I bought my bike, I found myself going through everything I learned in my head and it helped me ride with ease. Like everyone else is saying, ride within your own comfort level. Dont let anyone ever push you outside of your comfort zone. ALWAYS leave a lot of space around you when riding as a noob. I dont care if there is a huge gap in front of me when I am on the highway, I would rather be safe then sorry. Plus I dont trust cagers. Group rides ended up helping me learn a lot as well, there are a lot of good, seasoned riders on this board that are always willing to give you tips and advice. As far as when to get out and ride, just go out when its dry, I have put 1600 miles on my bike in two months so I try to get out as much as I can just to get practice. And lastly, wear your gear, get a good jacket, gloves, steel toes and helmet! Other then that, go out and enjoy and welcome to the mayhem!

636chick
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Krissy,

You are a Bash by marriage. You are not a Bash by blood. Or do you some sort of sick twisted love connection going on?

Well I am from Kentucky :think:

matt2778
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM

I'm with her. I only ride when it's warm

y_merkle
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah! It's so much better to actually be able to feel your fingers when you're riding instead of having them frozen to your levers. Unless you are a polar bear like GSXR-Scott or my husband who think, the colder the better. My biggest concern is the gravel. Just ride when you feel comfortable. Be safe.

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/dumb&dumber.jpg
:pointlaugh:
BTW Krissy I saw Scott & Mikey riding around today. Thought you should know!

636chick
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah! It's so much better to actually be able to feel your fingers when you're riding instead of having them frozen to your levers. Unless you are a polar bear like GSXR-Scott or my husband who think, the colder the better. My biggest concern is the gravel. Just ride when you feel comfortable. Be safe.

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/dumb&dumber.jpg
:pointlaugh:
BTW Krissy I saw Scott & Mikey riding around today. Thought you should know!

Damn it don't I know that!!!!!

The two of them are seriously in need of some kind of Intervention, cause they are not right in the head!!!!

And your husband can go along with them cause he is on his way to. Dressed up like the Michelen Man and jumping on the bike this definately come to mind for Mr M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M

Mrs M getting Mr M ready for work in the mornin

:lol:

y_merkle
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Damn it don't I know that!!!!!

The two of them are seriously in need of some kind of Intervention, cause they are not right in the head!!!!

And your husband can go along with them cause he is on his way to. Dressed up like the Michelen Man and jumping on the bike this definately come to mind for Mr M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M

Mrs M getting Mr M ready for work in the mornin

:lol:
OMG! That is just about the truth! Next time you see him ask him about his Carhartt cover alls that are 3 sizes too big so that he can but on a parka and riding jacket underneath. TOO FUNNY!

Tipys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
You call them crazy for riding while its cold isnt it just the love of riding everyone know love makes you do crazy things. I would be out there riding almost everyday too except I have both my bike taken apart being fixed.

But yes Micheals take the MSF it will help trackdays help as while there fun and you can push the limits in alot safer place then on the street. One thing I am sure you will hear alot on here is ride you on ride dont try and go fast cause everyone else is. We would much rather wait for you then have to go back and help you pick up your bike.

636chick
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
You call them crazy for riding while its cold isnt it just the love of riding everyone know love makes you do crazy things. I would be out there riding almost everyday too except I have both my bike taken apart being fixed.

Ok since when does kindegarten classes have computers!!!!!!!!

Who loves you more than me Junior!!!!!! :)

Mental
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Bikes hate to sit.

Even just fireing the thing up and putting around your neighborhood when there roads are clear of snow an ice will keep the bike happier and re-enforce your muscle memory.

If I ever finish the clutch on my regular bike, I'll ride, but having said that I have been here two years and I have ridden every month. There is always a one clear day, usually several and I tend to get pretty antsy.

If you feel comfortable, fire the old gal up, even if you just buzz up to the 7-11 to get a cycle mag or to the coffee shop to warm up.

Just keep in mind, even with the hard core biker population around here, folks are not used to seeing you, and aren't looking. Be extra defensive. The major intersections always have sand in them until July or so, especially the turn lanes. Older neighbor hood will have unmelted patches of snow and ice under the shade of trees and slope much longer than you expect, and that can really ruin a day.

thatmofo
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Today wasn't too bad. Just watch out for the Christmas shoppers. They tend to want to cut you off.

Hi11Zone
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'v been riding in 35 degree weather.. prefer 50s but what can you do lol

Gainer
Thu Dec 25th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ride when you want to ride. It has nothing to do with anyone else but yourself.

GregsGSXR
Thu Dec 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Ride when you want to ride. It has nothing to do with anyone else but yourself.

+1

You have to be the one to make that decision.