PDA

View Full Version : Any electritions?

Clovis
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
In the very near future I'm going to insulate and install an electric space heater in my garage.

Something like this:

http://www.heater-home.com/product/G73.aspx

Most that I've looked at require hard wiring of 240v and unfortantely I have no idea how to do that but the fuse box is conviently in the garage.

I'm in Fountain and I can of course compensate you! :)

-Clovis

longrider
Mon Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I can give you a hand with that. Sunday and Monday are my days off, I am busy the Sunday after Christmas

billsmith7
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
I may not be an electrician, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express....seriously, I'm not an electrician (I have hard wired a 220 50A hot tub with positive results) , but I'd be happy to come over and see if we can figure it out...

dallas
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I can hook everything up and run the wire but I don't like to hook into the power panel. Something about mass amounts of live electricity and the potential of getting shocked I don't like soo much.

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I can hook everything up and run the wire but I don't like to hook into the power panel. Something about mass amounts of live electricity and the potential of getting shocked I don't like soo much.

Pffft...Are you gonna let a little thing like the potential to be fried like a moth in a bug zapper slow you down?

frank2
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Wood Burner! With all the Beetle kill happening, the only way to go! No insulation, no nothing. Just burn more dead fall. It doe's work.

Tipys
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM

Come on wussy. I wire light switchs with the power to the switch still on while standing in a puddle.

billsmith7
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Come on wussy. I wire light switchs with the power to the switch still on while standing in a puddle.

That might explain the spelling.

Tipys
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
That might explain the spelling.

Hey I couldnt spell way before I started messing with elecitri thing.

Clovis
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys :) I'll post again once I have the insulation installed and the heater in possession.

<3 the CSC SoCO family :)

Dave
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
In the very near future I'm going to insulate and install an electric space heater in my garage.
Something like this:
http://www.heater-home.com/product/G73.aspx
Most that I've looked at require hard wiring of 240v and unfortantely I have no idea how to do that but the fuse box is conviently in the garage.
I'm in Fountain and I can of course compensate you! :)
-Clovis
I’m curious as to why you aren’t considering a forced air gas heater? I’ve been told electric heat is very pricey to operate.
http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modine/modineMarketsDefault/modine_com/markets/building_HVAC/level_5_content_009.htm (http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modine/modineMarketsDefault/modine_com/markets/building_HVAC/level_5_content_009.htm)

RF900guy
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Would you be interested in a natural gas forced air heater? I have one in my shed that is just sitting there.

Why are you only thinking of electric?

Clovis
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
The house has natural gas (our furnace and water heater are both gas) but to be honest that goes beyond my know how of how to install, otherwise yes, natural gas would probably be cheaper to operate.

I was planning on keeping the temp set at around 45 degrees or so and firing it up to 70ish whenever I'm actually working in the garage.

I'm open to ideas though :)

-Clov

Vehicle 1
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Gonna steel the thread for a sec, it has the perfect tittle...:)

I have a little project going at the house that requires a couple 220 outlets and another couple 110s. It should be simple as far as the routing of the wires go; the breaker box for the house is exactly at the other side of the wall where these outlets need to go. I just never learned how to do electric work and I need some help.

I am calling around asking for quotes but figured I would post this just in case someone is willing to help.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

The Black Knight
Fri Feb 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Clovis,

I might suggest also, that since you're just wanting to heat just your garage. I'd recommend a either kerosene/diesel or propane heater. You'll save alot of money in the long plus you'll get it way warmer in your garage then you'll ever need.

I bought a convection propane floor heater that when set on high will heat up to 80,000btu's. Which is about 2200sq.ft(way bigger then most 2 car garages).

You can find them at Lowe's but if you do go this route I'd recommend you jump on them now because alot of contractors love these floor heaters.

Also mine is the convection type(which it runs purely off propane, so no electric needed). Some of the other heaters I've seen look like long tubes and sound like jet engines when you fire them up. They accomplish the same thing though and that's to throw off massive heat.

I know one brand of the heaters is called Reddy Heater and Lowe's has a few others. You can pick one up(like mine) for about $100 and just have to fork over the price of a new 20lb propane. However, they can accept up to 100lb propane tanks. Refills are $18.99 and set on low mine can run a full 48 hours.

To give you an idea of how rockin these things can get. I heated the garage from 30 degrees to 80 degrees in the matter of 20 minutes with my heater set on high. And that's if you want it hot fast, you can always set it on low and let it take a little longer to heat up. However, ventilation is key(with propane fumes) and the nice thing about the low setting is you can keep it on the whole time you're working in the garage. Or if you're a glutton for heat like I am, just crank it up and leave it on(I hate working in a cold garage, get it about 85 and I'm happy).

Lastly, I think they are cost savers. The Reddy Heaters do require electric to run the fan(as it's all built into the long tube design). Or a stand up like mine which runs purely off of propane. And unless you spend a ton of time in the garage, $18.99 to refill is pretty cheap. It's definetely worth a look at.

PharmerKyle
Sat Feb 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I just use a Greyhound to heat mine.