PDA

View Full Version : Car question Volvo S60 R vs WRX vs etc

Captain Obvious
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
So I am going to trade in the truck for something more appropriate as a daily driver and something that will work in Colorado better (truck is 4x2).

I really like the Volvo S60R but a couple things make me pause. I have looked at the G35X and it just doesn't move me the same way. I haven't driven a WRX but I am struggling to look at one seriously, they are a bit more vanilla than the other options. <shrug>

So the question is, am I missing any other make/models? I like how "adult" the Volvo feels, but it is still fast and fun. Any other vehicles I haven't considered? Any one have bad or good experiences with Volvos, specifically the S60R?

Ninja Nate
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Audi's are VERY nice. Gotta love German engineering :up

CurtisRR
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think Volvo needed to do more refinning of the S60R. It was still too front wheel biased for an all wheel drive vehicle. Bang for the buck versus other European cars it was a good performer.

You mentioned WRX but did not mention EVO. Test drive an EVO is my opinion. Actually test drive all and then decide.

I do agree with the Volvo being more adult like which lends intself to blending in even when pushing it but the EVO or WRX would run circles around it.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think Volvo needed to do more refinning of the S60R. It was still too front wheel biased for an all wheel drive vehicle. Bang for the buck versus other European cars it was a good performer.

You mentioned WRX but did not mention EVO. Test drive an EVO is my opinion. Actually test drive all and then decide.

I do agree with the Volvo being more adult like which lends intself to blending in even when pushing it but the EVO or WRX would run circles around it.

When you say WRX...you're meaning STI, right?

Captain Obvious
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Curtis, I am surprised how expensive the Evos are! I have not driven one, but was planning on doing so.

I am not looking for having the FASTEST car, just one that will be fun to drive. If the only thing a WRX has over the Volvo is it is more of a race car and will have better lap times, then that may not be enough to get the Subaru. I have NOT driven a plain Impreza yet either.

Planning on making a couple stops on the 28th to look at the other options. I wish the S60R I drove was a stick as well. One thing the other models have the used Volvo doesn't, the stick is rare in the Volvos.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Clicky (http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI)

And there are some folks on other forums who work for dealerships selling these things considerably cheaper than retail.

Foolds
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
What about a Subaru Legacy GT? Almost as fast as a WRX STI, way more car to it also!

CurtisRR
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
When you say WRX...you're meaning STI, right?

Yeah, I just still call them WRX.

Curtis, I am surprised how expensive the Evos are! I have not driven one, but was planning on doing so.

I am not looking for having the FASTEST car, just one that will be fun to drive. If the only thing a WRX has over the Volvo is it is more of a race car and will have better lap times, then that may not be enough to get the Subaru. I have NOT driven a plain Impreza yet either.

Planning on making a couple stops on the 28th to look at the other options. I wish the S60R I drove was a stick as well. One thing the other models have the used Volvo doesn't, the stick is rare in the Volvos.

The S60R I had was a stick. It took me a while to get used to driving that car. I still believe the fun factor would be better in either the WRX or Impreza. The Volvo would be classier.

Did the S60R you test drive have the 17 or 18 inch wheels? Normally I'd go with the bigger wheels but with this car I'd go with the 17 wheels. The 18s road too ruff and I think the larger side walls with the tires for the 17 inch wheels would have actually had less plowing potential.

Captain Obvious
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
The Volvo would be classier.

Did the S60R you test drive have the 17 or 18 inch wheels?

Yes, more class, a bit less ricer-boy look. Might help me get out of a ticket. :)

18 inch wheels.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Yes, more class, a bit less ricer-boy look. Might help me get out of a ticket. :)

18 inch wheels.

These are valid points.

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
EVOs are nice! A little ricey but engineered well.

PROFLYER
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM
My new G37s is the nuts, you can get it AWD too. I drove that volvo a while back out of curiosity and wasn't impressed...my G37 is faster than my old E46 M3 (05)

thatmofo
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I had a modded WRX, a modded Evo 8 and raced an Evo 9 quite a bit. You can't go wrong with an Evo. Mods on Evos actually make power too. You will smile everytime you drive it if you aren't a pansy driver.

The WRX engine is a pain the butt to work on and not nearly as fun to drive as the Evo. If you insist, get one with the 2.5L engine in it.

S60Rs look great, but they are slow and heavy. Also, check out how much it costs to mod one of those. It's out of control for the performance "gains."

Tipys
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Audi's are VERY nice. Gotta love German engineering :up

What about a Subaru Legacy GT? Almost as fast as a WRX STI, way more car to it also!

Either one of those has good power. Both the top 2 all wheel drive systems, Dont look real ricey, and they are more adult cars.

InlineSIX24
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I've been thinking about an AWD TL. Those do it for me.

Sully
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
:up: +1 for AWD ... Is price an issue ? .. and what is your main goal .. ? Saving $ on gas ? Looking more mature ? Comfortable ride ?

Captain Obvious
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I've been thinking about an AWD TL. Those do it for me.

I looked into them, but the AWD is new for 09. I am looking for a used car.

Mother Goose
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Mmmmm S60R :drool: ..... but like everyone said, are you after the fun? Or the adult? Personally, if I was to get another car, it'd be the Legacy GT or the new Evo 10, that thing is sexy! Or if you had the money, go for a GTR. :lol: I've had a WRX (not STi) and I liked the car, 1st and 2nd were fun, but w/ no mods, after that the gear ratio kinda sucked. I got rid of that and now have a N/A 2001 Impreza 2.5RS, I friggin love this thing! Miss the power of the WRX, but that can be fixed once I have the money. :twisted:

~Barn~
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
You're obviously leaning toward the more mature look, and less racer-boy. The fact you're even mentioning Volvo's and G tree-fitty's and cars of that ilk, says a lot.

So ditch the notions of Evo anything and STI anything. Great cars I'm sure, but they are what they are, and nobody will even confuse them for anything besides road-ready rally cars.

Now that that's cleared up, you have some great options in:
- Subaru Leggy GT's
- Volvo _______
- BMW ______xi
- Infinity _______x
and virtually anything from Audi.

I would even steer you towards a Mazdaspeed6, but since I just got one, I don't want you to have one too, and truth-be-told, the AWD system in it, is pretty lacking when compared to my A4.
Audi AWD = 4 wheels that hook-up and go where you point them.
Mazda AWD = 2 wheels that might spin and if they do, we'll give the other 2 a try.

Captain Obvious
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
:up: +1 for AWD ... Is price an issue ? .. and what is your main goal .. ? Saving $ on gas ? Looking more mature ? Comfortable ride ?

Getting a vehicle more appropriate for Colorado. My 4x2 truck doesn't work and I am ready to move on. Will get a beater in a couple months for towing, etc, but am ready to move back to a car as a primary vehicle. I miss enjoying a drive.

MPG is not a concern. I travel for work and we have a Corolla if we want to get 30+ mpg on a trip.
Ride quality would be nice, mostly looking for something that will be sporty and fun to drive but not drive like a lowered Civic.
Goal is to be around 20K, but I will go higher if the car speaks to me. I am planning on keeping the next vehicle for a good number of years so something that will be reliable with long warranty would be nice.

I have considered the G35x (seems a bit blah)
S60R (like it a lot)
WRX (have not driven yet, but the looks seem a bit vanilla)
Impreza 2.5 (not driven yet, but don't know if it has the same fun factor as the others, but will try it)
EVO (not driven yet, but looks a bit ricer to me, will be testing though, bit more $ than the other options for the same year and features)

Planning on going for a test drive day when I return from FL on the 28th. Did I mention is is 80 degrees here? Tough xmas huh?

Captain Obvious
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
You're obviously leaning toward the more mature look, and less racer-boy. The fact you're even mentioning Volvo's and G tree-fitty's and cars of that ilk, says a lot. You are correct.

Now that that's cleared up, you have some great options in:
- Subaru Leggy GT's
- Volvo _______
- BMW ______xi
- Infinity _______x
and virtually anything from Audi.

I have not tested any of the BMX xi types. Didn't think they would be in the same price range.

I looked at the Audi's, but they just sort of look ho-hum to me. I have not driven one yet though. Still trying to figure out what the options will be. I never even considered the Subaru GT's, didn't think they would be anywhere near the right "fun" but apparently they are a bit more than I imagines, so will be test driving one. I was also surprised how inexpensive they are.

DARK ANGEL
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
being a child of a volvo family (17 volvo's owned by all of us combined) they dont break much but when they do they are expensive to fix. Other than that they are worth their weight in plutonium! and they are very safe

Sully
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Since you are looking in the $20k price range, I would perhaps go with the vehicle that has great history on reliability (and good resell value), so maybe a Subaru ?? :dunno: I've never owned one, but the people I know, love them.... (outback's included)

I test drove the Infiniti G35x and really wasn't impressed with what it did or actually didn't do in the snow.. meh.. nice car nonetheless.

Barn, Beotch, BlueStreak can probably give you more insight on the A4's. Some people love and swear by them.

I know that Volvo's are great cars as far as safety goes, but not sure on repairs/cost.

For myself as far as daily commuter and mountain (snow) travel, I like the BMW xi's... but believe me, they aren't cheap on repair costs.

jbnwc
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Why not a CTS4? The new CTS's make everything else on the road look like last decade's wanabe. Secsay.

Sully
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I think the CTS may be out of his price range

BoulderNinja
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Saab 9-3 Aero and you can get a hooked up one for hella cheap right now. Thanks GM!

zetaetatheta
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Here's where my 20K would go:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403047
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/manitoumike/88porsche.jpg

Matty
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
i LOVE my 'o8 STi. Much more refined then past STi's.

jbnwc
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Do NOT get a non-turbo Impreza if you ever plan to drive over any passes. I learned that lesson the hard way. The lack of power is very frustrating. I second the Saab 9-3 aero idea. Classy, relatively inexpensive, good warranty, and great power!

dapper
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Volvo S60R
Infinity G35X
BMW 3**xi
Subaru Legacy GT
(?)Audi *4/6
^similar to each other

EVO
WRX (STi) '06 or '07 ['08 was a disappointment imo]
^similar to each other

WRX
Mazdaspeed6
Audi *4
VW R32
^similar to each other

Audi, Saab & VW are known to have electrical bugs. The owners lov'em when the car is under warranty.

Subaru Legacy GT would be the winner in the white book.

madvlad
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'd say the Legacy GT for that clean and professional look, perhaps the Acura TL-S is awesome as well. WRX's and EVO's are treated as racers out here by police even if someone that doesn't look young drives one unfortunately. Have you considered Saab? Their cars are pretty cool looking, they have Subaru technology and AWD in it even though it's GM. Just some thoughts....

Captain Obvious
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Have you considered Saab? Their cars are pretty cool looking, they have Subaru technology and AWD in it even though it's GM. Just some thoughts....

I had not considered a Saab. Honestly, this is why I posted here. In the south, we really do not care about all wheel drive. It is not a concern at all when buying a car. That is also why I have a 4x2 truck. So I was hoping to get info like this, you folks rule!

I am going to go look at a couple of the options listed here on my Monday vehicle search and drive. Thanks all.

madvlad
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Also have in mind that German cars such as VW, AUDI, BMW AND BENZ may be cool cars but they have way too many electric problems as it was mentioned here before. I've worked for BMW, VW AND BENZ and man it was nothing but electrical problems that lead to just an overall car breakdown. If you want a badass AWD car that'll be reliable, fast/sporty and professional just go with Subaru or Acura.... just my .2 :)

Canuck
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Have you considered Saab? Their cars are pretty cool looking, they have Subaru technology and AWD in it even though it's GM. Just some thoughts....

No they do not!

The SAAB 9-2X or 'SAAB-ARU' is an exception, but they no longer make that model and it was only in production for 2 years.

New SAAB 'XWD' models use the (Swedish) Haldex Generation 4 systems. The most advanced AWD platform around.

I would argue that the current Subaru's use SAAB tech and design. Look at the interior of the new Impreza. It has so many SAAB design queue's that its not even funny. And this makes perfect sense. Before GM sold their stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, they had SAAB and Subaru share some platform designs, and well, you are now seeing the effect that it had on Subaru by their better interior designs.

Hoopty
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Go with the Legacy GT, you will not be dissapointed, just make sure you get an 05+, you don't want a non-turbo Subaru.

Mental
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Up until this year I was almost exclusively German and out of three BMWs, I had one alternator failure and that was covered under warrenty, to include the tow and porter service when we got it back the next day. There is a definete feel to German cars that no one else has, either you get it or you don't, and if you don't then don't bother with them.

Mind you, my Japanense stuff has never let me down either.

The local Stealership here in C Springs has some great CPO Audis. I would also mention that Mazda 6 is availible in an AWD configuration. If AWD isn't a must, look at the Mazdaspeed 3, its actually faster and cheaper than a non-STI WRX.

My regular Mazda 3 pulled a Harbor Feight trailer and held all my bike gear for a track day, including gas can and spares. It also soildered through snow here, and even through snow all the way to St Louis and back.

Another bump for the Legacy, you can lease one of those for something like $220 a month under one of their "please buy a car (http://www.subaru.com/tools/financialsolutions/special_offers.jsp)" deals. Volkswagen has some AWD variants as well. My buddy has the new GTI with the SMG gearbox, and while I normally hate those things, that transmission is amazing.

Canuck
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Not to nit-pick, but VW's do not use SMG's. They have the much more advanced DSG designed by BorgWarner. BMW uses SMG. Or I should say that they did use SMG; they are switching to DSG due to it's better design.

GregsGSXR
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:30 PM
My vote is an STI. If you want more power there is no shortage of aftermarket parts and it is AWD. I had a WRX wagon and loved it, then crashed it (R.I.P).

madvlad
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Okay nvm on the Saab then even though they look pretty badass lol..... I'd still vote for the Legacy GT or Acura TL-S OR TSX. They're sporty, fast yet elegant

Mental
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Not to nit-pick, but VW's do not use SMG's. They have the much more advanced DSG designed by BorgWarner. BMW uses SMG. Or I should say that they did use SMG; they are switching to DSG due to it's better design.
Nitpicker