PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Image

t_jolt
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
So i've been tasked to create a new self-installing image for our desktops here at work. Anyone ever created a desktop image before? if so i have some questions for you. For the most part needs to have office and a couple other programs installed on it as well as xp. I've done this before with ghost, but my boss wants it to be a fresh install for every machine.

Idea's, Thoughts?

Thanks
Tyrel

Devaclis
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
What do you mean fresh? Are you looking for an IMAGE or for an unattended install with all of your apps?

I personally prefer installing all of the apps and configuring the system. Then run a sysprep. After that, take an image of the drive. If you want some detailed help we can get together and talk about some cool options :)

t_jolt
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
cool, yeah im looking for an unttended install. Perhaps one day moving to a full on RIS server, but im not good with scripts, and then there is the whole $1 folder with its own batch file, and then office 2003 with another batch file etc...

Devaclis
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have a really good guide on scripting unattended installs. I will link it to you. It is a little thick but just read it quickly 2 times then go back and read it slow. You will be a MASTER :)

Is this on a domain?

Different HW platforms

How many computers?

I would only go through all the trouble of an unattended install if it were for over 50 computers and you were going to be doing it a LOT. Otherwise, a disk image is the better solution. Sysprep is a wonderful tool :)

t_jolt
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, i would rather do an image, But my boss wants an unattented install. That and the company is moving to a paperless system, (which happens to be a huge doctor office) of over 200k in patients. And it seems anyone who is important is going to be getting a new comp. So where probably looking at 75 new computers at first and then probably one a week on out.

Domain based

Maybe 3 different HW platforms. In fact the boss is really good at keeping everything the same and ordering the same thing over and over again