PDA

View Full Version : Fay Myers Finance dude....

TMP
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
My fiance bought a new 2009 GSXR 600 today. YAY. She has been planning this for several years and today was the day. She got a great deal as she paid cash but then they turn you over to the finance dude. He wanted to sell her all kinds of warranty shit which she denied except for the total loss payout, which pays you some money above and beyond the insurance company for a few undred $$$. Whatever..... Anyway he tried to sell her a service contract for $1500 which she denied and I told him I have been wrenching on my bike for years with no problems and he came off a little snooty and said "I don't know what you do but these guys are ASE certified". I almost had to speak up but didn't. I know they make all their loot on these damn warranty things - I did sales for 7 years and I know how it works. I just wanted to post up and let people know that the majority of service in the first 2 - 3 yrs of a new bike is oil change, chain adjustment, and torque specs. Don't get ripped off buy the Dealer (Stealer).

DevilsTonic
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I bought the service plan with my R1 that included all oil changes and all regular maintenance. Best money i ever spent, but then again at the time i didn't have the time, knowledge or the tools to do the maintenance so it was a good buy for me.

I've learned some things since then and now that the warranty is up i can take care of it on my own. The maintenance plan covered all of the maintenance for every scheduled maintenance up to the 16k service which was an $800 service.

madvlad
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Service plans are great if you're not into mechanics nor have the time to do it but if you know how to and don't think you'll have problems those service contracts are useless..... I didn't get one with mine but for the GAP insurance when I got her new from RPM back in October of 06' and have 28k miles and did all the work on my own and she still runs tops!..... They just have to offer them but it's kinda unfair how they attempt to push themselves on the buyer and make them feel like they need it and they won't be fine without the plans lol.....

TMP
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Service plans are great if you're not into mechanics nor have the time to do it but if you know how to and don't think you'll have problems those service contracts are useless..... I didn't get one with mine but for the GAP insurance when I got her new from RPM back in October of 06' and have 28k miles and did all the work on my own and she still runs tops!..... They just have to offer them but it's kinda unfair how they attempt to push themselves on the buyer and make them feel like they need it and they won't be fine without the plans lol.....

I did not like the impression of "you're screwed without this". A torque wrench, a good set of tools and a few special ones with some bike stands is all I've ever needed. I'm going to read thru the owners manual tomorrow and check out the service schedule. There are many people that ride and do not wrench and there are others that like wrenching as much as riding - it's not good to assume things about a customer or question their ability.

vmax2003
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
When I bought my 03 vmax i just stuck with the warranty for oil, lube and adjustments. they wanted $$ on top of what i paid for the bike. I can change my own oil and do most adjustments along with brakes.

Tipys
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ok I really dont think this is a big deal. I will tell you why. I was with a friend the other week and we went to Apex here in the springs where he used to work. Talking with a few people there found out they went from selling 40 units a month to 6 units a month. Not thats a big gap and there looking at having to lay people off. Now if Fye Myers is the same way which I almost sure there are. He was just trying to bring in as much money from every unit sold that why he could keep his job. If they were selling as many units as normal I am sure he wouldnt have been so pushy.

towneh
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I purchased an extended Warranty plan with the Bus @ GranPrix Motorsports. Nearly 55k miles during the 3 year period... That much use required some re-torque (all-over), valve adjusts, etc.
--I think I did well on the deal.

bus_henry (4 round trips to NY, 3 ironbutt cert rides, 2 Texas tours, 1 parkway wall....) %?)

madvlad
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Ok I really dont think this is a big deal. I will tell you why. I was with a friend the other week and we went to Apex here in the springs where he used to work. Talking with a few people there found out they went from selling 40 units a month to 6 units a month. Not thats a big gap and there looking at having to lay people off. Now if Fye Myers is the same way which I almost sure there are. He was just trying to bring in as much money from every unit sold that why he could keep his job. If they were selling as many units as normal I am sure he wouldnt have been so pushy.

Oh not saying anything by it dude, it's their job and they're doing it to survive I understand that completely and not making it a big deal, just saying how it feels and it is you know, I've worked at dealerships for years and I know exactly how it works...... of course they have to upsale just like service to be able to earn a good paycheck..... What is unfair is that though there are many cases in which they'll push it to limits (mainly if you're a female, not meaning anything by it but is the truth or some stupid teenager whose dad will do anything for) just cause they asume you may not know anything about mechanics and such it is still the costumers choice wether to buy it or not and as a buyer attitude is not needed from staff when they're contributing towards your paycheck as it is. Of course there are many many people that can be on the good side of these plans and as mentioned those are the people that aren't mechanicaly inclined nor have time to deal with it.

racedk6
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Come on seriously its sales no matter what way you look at it.

You said you were in sales so you know how it goes and all about the upsale.

This thread is just retarded.

END

frank2
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I purchased my 1000 off the showroom floor. A dump called Excel motorsports, at the time. Bought it at lunch, wanted to pick up that same day, at 3 pm. Everything was cool. I go to pick up the bike, with the truck. They had no gas. I left with an empty bike, which I went back for the top off. I get home in Loveland, their being in Denver. I was given 1 key. Also, As soon as I rejected there maintenance program, they forgot my name. I did let Suzuki America know, from their mail survey. That those DOPES sucked, and I would never do business with them ever again. No wonder they don't exists anymore.

madvlad
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 09:59 PM

END

Easy rod, easy rod lol..... it's just a thread lol

TMP
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I believe this was posted in the shop experiences forum?? oh yes, it was... and it's detailing a shop experience too. Imagine that!

Sortarican
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I went to a Harley dealer to get an oil filter and the sales guy asks if I needed some "genuine HD motor oil".
Told him no I had oil and he claimed it voids the warrenty if I use non-HD oil.
(It doesn't, that would be illegal.)
I sarcastically asked him where exactly the Harley Davidson Oil Refinery was located 'cause I've never driven past it.
He acted like I should be burned at the stake for blasphemy.

I don't mind a "hard sell" to a point. Hell, I understand, it's their job.
But sometimes they cross that fine line between obnoxious bullshit and outright fraud.

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure the "you're an idiot and you should buy this" technique has ever seen much success in the sales & marketing world...

Sortarican
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure the "you're an idiot and you should buy this" technique has ever seen much success in the sales & marketing world...

And Chris should know.......being a legitimate idiot himself.

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
It's ok Jeff, I know it's hard to admit you look up to me, but one day you'll get there! :D

ghostrider_9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Isn't Jeff taller than you? That would mean that you look up to him . . . I'm just sayin . . .

salsashark
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I went to a Harley dealer to get an oil filter and the sales guy asks if I needed some "genuine HD motor oil".
I sarcastically asked him where exactly the Harley Davidson Oil Refinery was located 'cause I've never driven past it.

But sometimes they cross that fine line between obnoxious bullshit and outright fraud.

:lol:

FOUND IT!!!

Cutting edge HD technology even

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Why does that picture remind me more of Jack Daniels than Harly Davidson?

salsashark
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Because they both would probably be better off if someone kicked them over and smashed them on the curb :dunno:

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Maybe I should just start pouring Jack into Harley engines...

salsashark
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
As long as it's official Harley Davidson brand Jack...

wouldn't want to void the warranty

MetaLord 9
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As long as it's official Harley Davidson brand Jack...
One way or another, sounds like it's bound to be on the pavement!

ihavealegohead
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM

It was probably American Oil - nothing but the best for HD.

ihavealegohead
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I did not like the impression of "you're screwed without this". A torque wrench, a good set of tools and a few special ones with some bike stands is all I've ever needed. I'm going to read thru the owners manual tomorrow and check out the service schedule. There are many people that ride and do not wrench and there are others that like wrenching as much as riding - it's not good to assume things about a customer or question their ability.

Once you made your decision that should have been the end of that conversation. I guess if he felt necessary to keep trying he could have been a little more tactful about it.

For the service he WAS offering, what do you think it was worth? Keep in mind labour and a 10% mark up on parts..

Raptor
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM

END

Decaf, homie! :roll: I was going to guess you either worked at the shop in question, or that sales was your deep passion...or both. I'm at least one for two...

Come visit Fay! We have a decent sale going on on all OGIO, SPY, and Oakley:shocked:

So pick up some tickets and a new pair of shades for those trackdays

racedk6
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I believe this was posted in the shop experiences forum?? oh yes, it was... and it's detailing a shop experience too. Imagine that!

Lol Its just like a waitress asking if you want dessert.

Everytime they ask you do you get bent out of shape about it? lol

How hard is it to say no and move on. I've done it everytime I bought a new bike. lol

racedk6
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Decaf, homie! :roll: I was going to guess you either worked at the shop in question, or that sales was your deep passion...or both. I'm at least one for two...

I find it funny that all I said was this thread is retarded and people jump at me, tellin me to calm down. lol

TMP
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I never said that I was bent or butt hurt. Just simply laying out the scenario for others that may be buying a new bike soon so they know what to expect. With shop prices, labor and parts mark up - everyone should be doing as much of their own service as possible. Of course any dealer will try to sell you extended warranties...... but to do so in any sort of negative light is a poor sales tactic.

HD oil refinery!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

madvlad
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
haha gotta love when dealerships come out with that stupid crap "You need to buy genuine "your brand" oil to keep your warranty"..... Funny part is that more than 60% of people fall into that and is so untrue it's ridiculous lol..... I've never personally heard that from any shop service writer/parts person at this point but I've heard it being said to other costumers around other shops while I was in for parts lol.... Only aftermarket parts COULD but most likely not void warranties or crashing within the manufacturer's 1 yr, unlimited miles warranty.

Jason ON
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I bought my 05 SV at FM and told the sales manager I was there to purchase in cash. We agreed on an OTD price and I made a down payment (non-refundable) for them to order the bike since they didn't have any on site. They told me 4 days. A week later I call them: has it arrived? Yes, but it hasn't been put together. It'll be assembled by 5PM. Cool. So I have a friend drop me of after 5PM, I walk in cash-in-hand and tell them I'm ready to pick up a bike. After some confusion they send me up to the administration offices to and the lady hands me pages upon pages of finance paper work. She seemed confused when I explain I had cash, but I take it in stride as I assume most people don't walk in with cash.

She then hands me the total payment due which is nearly $1000 more than the OTD price the sales manager and I agreed on. I was livid! She called in the sales supervisor on duty who explained that the person I spoke with before wasn't there and wasn't to be there for a week, but in the end, there was nothing to do he could do for me as they have "policies."

Fay Meyers will never get another dime of my money. I'll go there and look, but I won't even buy a sticker from them.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I bought my 05 SV at FM and told the sales manager I was there to purchase in cash. We agreed on an OTD price and I made a down payment (non-refundable) for them to order the bike since they didn't have any on site. They told me 4 days. A week later I call them: has it arrived? Yes, but it hasn't been put together. It'll be assembled by 5PM. Cool. So I have a friend drop me of after 5PM, I walk in cash-in-hand and tell them I'm ready to pick up a bike. After some confusion they send me up to the administration offices to and the lady hands me pages upon pages of finance paper work. She seemed confused when I explain I had cash, but I take it in stride as I assume most people don't walk in with cash.

She then hands me the total payment due which is nearly $1000 more than the OTD price the sales manager and I agreed on. I was livid! She called in the sales supervisor on duty who explained that the person I spoke with before wasn't there and wasn't to be there for a week, but in the end, there was nothing to do he could do for me as they have "policies."

Fay Meyers will never get another dime of my money. I'll go there and look, but I won't even buy a sticker from them.

Ghey Myers FTMFL :down:

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Jason, call the better business bureau and report 'em for a bait & switch, especially if they won't refund your deposit

longrider
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
While there is no way I could find out what happened 4 years ago, I can tell you that there is no way your situation could happen today. First, when a deal is agreed upon there is a deal sheet prepared showing the price as negotiated and signed by a manager. It doesn't matter who is there or not there when you come back, the deal sheet is on file. Second, the only way the finance issue could occur is if you initially applied for credit, was approved, and then changed your mind and decided to pay cash. Normally that would be communicated to F&I but I can see the possibility for confusion.

FYI, if you literally meant cash (not a cashier's check or such) all large cash transactions have to be reported to the IRS as part of an effort to control money laundering. This is a law, we have no choice.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
FYI, if you literally meant cash (not a cashier's check or such) all large cash transactions have to be reported to the IRS as part of an effort to control money laundering. This is a law, we have no choice.

This is true.
My step-mother tried to pay cash for a car (rural Kansas girl, cash-n-carry only) and was refused on these grounds.

They also told her they really weren't equiped or comfortable with handling $20K+ in cash.

So they ran her through a financing deal with no early payoff penalty and she just mailed a check for the full amount.

modette99
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM
If you are going to pay cash never tell them upfront, they like to think your going to finance the bike. If you had to leave a deposit due to them ordering the bike I would of put that on VISA (can always do a charge back that way, you at least have some protection). I would of also, and did when I bought my FZ1 get it in witting what we agreed to with the OTD amount, and the deposit of $100 and even had them put on their when I should expect the bike. When you buy things you should take an active approach in protecting yourself. Like I did with the buyer that was to buy my FZ1, and I made him sign a non-refundable contract for the deposit...I made $500 as he flaked out.

As for any dealer whether it be auto, or motorcycle I tell them that I am not going to meet with the finance person to be sold extras, and will rather just walk if any extras are brought up. They need the sale more then I need the product. I got to say in Michigan I never recall motorcycle dealers taking me in the back to sell me extras.

navajowalks
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
FYI, if you literally meant cash (not a cashier's check or such) all large cash transactions have to be reported to the IRS as part of an effort to control money laundering. This is a law, we have no choice.[/quote]

i think its like anything over $10,000 or something like that has to be reported.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM

i think its like anything over $10,000 or something like that has to be reported.[/quote]

It is $10,000. But if you write a personal check that limit is waived:

http://www.yale.edu/tax/docs/rules_def_8300.pdf

Snowman
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I’ve only purchased one bike from Fay Myers back in 1999. I was watching websites back then for prices on Blackbirds. I had been to most of the shops in town and knew what the going price was. A new one was running around $13,000 and used was in the $9,000 range. Fay at the time had several but nothing less than $9,000.

I kept tabs for about two months, then one day on Fay’s website they posted a 97’ Blackbird for $7,200. I thought this had to be a trashed used one. I printed out the webpage and headed in to see which one they were talking about.

I went up to the first sales guy I saw and showed him the print out and we went up stairs. We walked right up to one without a scratch that had 900 miles on it.

The guy looked the printout and went to check if this was right. He came back and said this was the one listed. Before he could open his mouth for what I knew was coming next I said “Sold. $7,200” and got out my checkbook.

Well this caused a flurry of managers and discussions for about an hour to figure out what happened. Finally, they said they would sell me that bike at that price. Later I found out someone had put the price they gave for trade on the site not the sales price.

They came back and clamed that they didn’t have the title. I said let me give you a down payment to hold it but they refused. They said they would have the title by the end of the week.

Friday came I showed up, they still didn’t have the title. I said I’ll come back in a few days. Wednesday came they still didn’t have the title. I said I’ll come back in a few days. Saturday came they still didn’t have the title.

This went on for 3 weeks before they coughed one up. They never admitted they were hoping I would go away but I was sure getting that impression. You just have to keep these sales people to their word and not let them chase you off, remember you have all the time on your side.

Jason ON
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Jason, call the better business bureau and report 'em for a bait & switch, especially if they won't refund your deposit

That was March of 05. In retrospect that would've been a good idea, but now, they just don't get my business (and word of mouth will kill ya)

Like someone else said, I think it's only more than $10,000 and the SV was only $7200 (well, $8000 after the whole ordeal)

dixgomez
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM
That is exactly what i wanna say....

SamuraiX
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Seems like things have gone downhill there since it was sold to RSchomp.
I miss the old Alameda days. Fuckin fire.

Radek
Sat Aug 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
what about if Fay Mayers one day close down ?

Bueller
Sat Aug 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
what about if Fay Mayers one day close down ?
Then I wouldn't have to decide whether or not to spend $ there since they usually piss me off every other trip in.
They tried to shove there extended warantee BS and disability etc. down my throat too. They ended up reprinting all the paperwork when I said no way

whitebrad
Sun Aug 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
what about the "you're a fucking idiot and you are GONNA buy this" approach? hmmm?
<------ worked on these two people over here...