PDA

View Full Version : Drilling through brick...

wankel7
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM
So, I am trying to install a dryer vent in my basement. Just got the house and it turns out the place never had a dryer vent.

I am trying to drill through the brick to get the vent installed and my drill isn't working. Any chance somebody near Arvada has a Hammer drill I could borrow? Or any advice getting through the brick?

I have put a massonary bit on my drill but it is not cutting it.

Dietrich_R1
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Homey Depot / Lowes should have the right tools to rent for cheap.

dattaway
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I have put a massonary bit on my drill but it is not cutting it.

Hit the bit with a hammer, scrape it, and repeat. Might take several minutes, but that's what the hammer drill does in slow motion.

dapper
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
What the others said...

OR
1. Buy a ventless dryer
2. Pending the size of the brick. Knock it out & use a brick vent from your local commercial supplier warehouse. Install a access door by the brick wall to clean-out the lint build-up.
3. Use cutting fluid to keep the bit cool.
4. Hire a professional and save your knuckles, etc.

DavidofColorado
Sat Dec 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
If its electric dryer put pantyhose over the end of the vent and keep the heat. In the summer you can install the vent to the outside. Just my .02 worth.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Don't be stupid, guys. If it's a gas dryer the LAST thing you want to do is vent into your house..... Wanna be a candidate for the Darwin awards?

Get the right tools froom Home Depot, and cut the hole.

DavidofColorado
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Don't be stupid, guys. If it's a gas dryer the LAST thing you want to do is vent into your house..... Wanna be a candidate for the Darwin awards?

Get the right tools froom Home Depot, and cut the hole.
That's why I said if its electric.

But I knew someone that had a lounge in their garage and used the dryer to heat it.

wankel7
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I did try my corded drill with a masonry bit. It lasted about a hole and a half before the bit was done.

I took the advice and went to Home Depot and rented the hammer drill with the bit for $38. That thing drills through brick like hot butter.

I still had to chisel out brick but the hammer drill was a must.

Anyways, it should look nice with solid galvanized steel piping coming out of the dryer and out of the house.