PDA

View Full Version : Pet --- Vet question for yall with pets

Captain Obvious
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
After moving to CO, I took my dogs to the vet to get a check up and have all previous records faxed over. One of the charges(@$40 per dog) was a shot to prevent kennel cough. Very cool, sounds great.

Over Xmas, I took one of my dogs for boarding. 11 days, $20 per day, $220 total. No biggie, that isn't abnormal.

Day before I return, they call and say he is coughing and needs meds. Kennel cough. No biggie, have to medicate the little fella.

I pick him up and the total bill is $360. They charged me for the vet consult (okay, not too happy but it is what it is), and about $80 for all the freaking pills! One time event, I might be able to eat the $hit sandwich, but we are traveling for the next 5 weeks or so and if I have to pay extra bills cause they mix sick and healthy animals, I will go freaking broke!!!! Thank god I only boarded one and took the other to a friends place.

Am I wrong in thinking they should have to eat some of these medical expenses? Just looking for an outside opinion to tell me my thoughts are warranted or off base.

DevilsTonic
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Seems like the typical nut crunch all vets/kennels put on their customers. I don't have dogs anymore but i never boarded them. Usually just left the dogs at home and had a friend stop by every day and feed them and let them out. Saves a lot of money and saves the pups from getting sick.

rforsythe
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
The vet won't eat any of the cost here.

Captain Obvious
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Usually just left the dogs at home and had a friend stop by every day and feed them and let them out. Saves a lot of money and saves the pups from getting sick.

Yeah, back home where I had friends I could impose upon, I did the same. Still meeting people in the area though. One more reason moving and starting a new friend base sucks! :)

We actually have a friend we took my lab to, she was fine. They have a 5 year old who is loud and runs around a lot. My terrier isn't used to this and chases the kid around, only making the kid squeal and run more. Viscous cycle and I was worried about the terrier knocking the kid over and hurting him. Hence, he got sent to prison with the other animals who don't know how to act right. For the money I paid, I could have purchased a freaking plane ticket for my dog and flew him with us to FL!!!!!

DevilsTonic
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Well if I were closer to ya I would volunteer to watch em for ya...

Mental
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
When we first moved here, my wife spent a lot of time screening the local boarding kennels and vets. She found Airway (http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Airway.Veterinary.Hospital.PC.719-596-4811)on Platte. She was intially very put off, becuase the building is kind of old, and we were spoiled in OK. But when she met the peaple that work there she was sold.

Their boarding fees are pretty good, I can't remember off hand, but I want to say they are cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't the Ritz, but the ladies who work there are very good pet peaple. They interact with the animals and we have never had a problem with our puppies coming out of there. You can tell how the dogs are treated by how they react when being dropped off and picked up. Genuinely they are fine with it.

PhL0aTeR
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds like something that should have been authorized by you? my dogs are like my family, so i would rather them do it and be out some cash than not do it and be out my best friend, but that definitely sounds pricey.... one of my boys had to get stitches and i think it was only $400.

On another note, i would take that bill to the vet that gave them that $40 shot and tell them to pay it.

Captain Obvious
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
On another note, i would take that bill to the vet that gave them that $40 shot and tell them to pay it.

Same vet. That is part of my issue, I paid the vet money for shots to ensure my dog wouldn't bring in Kennel cough. And we ended up walking out after boarding with kennel cough. ????? huh?

PhL0aTeR
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Same vet. That is part of my issue, I paid the vet money for shots to ensure my dog wouldn't bring in Kennel cough. And we ended up walking out after boarding with kennel cough. ????? huh?

I would bitch about it for sure, but then id steer clear of them, and tell everyone else to do the same.... sounds pretty sheisty....

If you need some help with your dogs next time you are away, let me know what your situation is and i might be able to help out.

frank2
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I leave my dogs with no one but me! This is my family and there is no one that can be trusted. Never leave your dogs with friends or strangers. If that doesn't fit in? Don't have animals.

TurboGizzmo
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I rarely leave my dog with anyone, I am nervous even with family so the one time that were was no way around taking her we used a place outside of Loveland (http://www.creaturecomfortspet.com/) I toured this place, reviewed records and checked them out for any complaints before hand.

They had me preauthorize a amount to spend in case of emergency and they could not get a hold of me.

Kennel's hate kennel cough because it spread fast and run up bills to the whole population, I am sure they were sparing no expense (well your expense) to get it under control while you were away....did they call you?

Captain Obvious
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I leave my dogs with no one but me! This is my family and there is no one that can be trusted. Never leave your dogs with friends or strangers. If that doesn't fit in? Don't have animals.

It would be easier to ignore you, but I don't have it in me. Not all of us live in the same fantasy world you do. Sometimes work calls, sometimes it is not practical to travel across the US with a dog in tow.

I am glad your life revolves around an animal that licks its butt, however that aint me.

Family members? Yes. But they are still pets. And as you mentioned in your post, animals.

Captain Obvious
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Kennel's hate kennel cough because it spread fast and run up bills to the whole population, I am sure they were sparing no expense (well your expense) to get it under control while you were away....did they call you?

They did but I was in the process of flying back so wasn't able to respond until I landed. And by then they had already determined what it was and began treatment, which I agreed with. The main issue was I have already paid once for shots that would prevent it, and then got dinged again.

Jim_Vess
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM

The vaccination is a prevention, but no guarantee they won't get it anyway.