PDA

View Full Version : Denver building permits, etc

rforsythe
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
In the process of finishing my basement it looks like I will need a certain number of permits, inspections, etc. Has anyone here gone through that process (preferably with a basement finish) that can offer any pointers?

Also does anyone have a copy of the 2006 International Residential Codes for One and Two Family Dwellings collecting dust, or that I could even just borrow for a little while? I will need to make sure I do the construction to code, plus I will have to take a few exams with Denver to be able to get the permits and reviewing that stuff would be useful.

Overall this project won't be especially difficult; a couple rooms, a bathroom, and a bunch of open space, but I don't want the city freaking out because I missed some step in the permits/inspections, or have to redo work because it wasn't right the first time.

thanks!

Devaclis
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I have actually found that you can find the code books at the library.

kalibra
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have the book that you need.Call me at 7203384452Cj

rforsythe
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Dana - I considered that, but I'll probably need it for a while...

Kalibra - will do thanks!

kalibra
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Plus I might have some pointers for you,I do home remodeling for a living.Plus I am willing to travel to your location...I was kinda looking for a reason to ride anyway...

konichd
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ralph,
Go down to the Denver Web building (2nd floor) and sit down and do a residential walk-through just to make sure you have your bases covered. I don't know what all you're planning on doing but a 15 minute talk with a inspector will be worth it so you have everything in a row.

Do not tell them DK sent you :)

rforsythe
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Planning a little something like this... (Not quite perfect as far as architectural symbols, but the CAD program was free and it's close enough for government work.)

Devaclis
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Ralph,

At the bottom, 2nd room from the right, how wide is that door? Just curious as I have run tin issues before with narrow doorways :)

rforsythe
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
That's a bathroom; I have the door at 2'6" I believe. The other single door is 3' (in the half-divided room, laundry room, to allow for getting machines in and out), and all double doors are 5'.

t_jolt
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
+1 for kalibra ralph!
He knows what he's doing, and he help me pour my shower pan.
Btw let me know if he helps you out, as i still owe him 5 bucks...

Tyrel

rforsythe
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Good to know! I wanted to bust out that drawing last night before getting him over here just so we can look at actual plans, instead of me pointing and going "yeah there will be this 7 foot wall over here, and a door about here".

It looks big but the scope of work is mostly framing and sheetrock. Plumbing is confined to one wall where I already have supply lines, and electrical will bring in a new circuit to the basement but is mostly just adding lights and outlets. Basically just a bunch of manual labor and nothing too exotic. Fortunately I have obscene vacation time accrued at work right now, so I'll use some of that to stay here and pound my hammer.

salsashark
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Fortunately I have obscene vacation time accrued at work right now, so I'll use some of that to stay here and pound my hammer.

http://www.extrememortman.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/Rim%20Shot%20Johnny%20Utah.jpg

Sortarican
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM
... I don't know what all you're planning on doing but a 15 minute talk with a inspector will be worth it so you have everything in a row.

+1
It's been awhile since I worked in the trades but as a DIY project most counties will accept much less than the .pdf you have as a valid building plan.
I've seen homeowner pencil sketches on scratch paper accepted.
(Though Denver always used to be one of the tougher counties.)

Take your drawing down and one of the codes people will look it over and tell you if anything is deficient, common issues to watch out for,
and the inspection timing process.
They'll probably be surprised that you're even bothering to pull a permit.

Any carpentry for dummies type book will show you code standards that are pretty much universally accepted
(16" on center, header beams, 12' max between outlets, GFI in bath/kitchen, etc.)
and the codes person will tell you if Denver has any specific standards that are tighter than normal.

If you need any help let me know, many hands make light work and all that.

rforsythe
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
+1
It's been awhile since I worked in the trades but as a DIY project most counties will accept much less than the .pdf you have as a valid building plan.
I've seen homeowner pencil sketches on scratch paper accepted.
(Though Denver always used to be one of the tougher counties.)

Yep, that's what I originally made just measuring things out. But I have an engineering mindset, and like everything precisely laid out. Besides, measure twice cut once saves money and aggravation when things don't line up.

Take your drawing down and one of the codes people will look it over and tell you if anything is deficient, common issues to watch out for,
and the inspection timing process.
They'll probably be surprised that you're even bothering to pull a permit.Will do, thanks. I considered not bothering, but if something happened to the house that was in any way traceable to my work and the process wasn't done right, that could be used as grounds for denying insurance. Plus this will aid in resale down the road if I can show that the work is done to code spec.

If you need any help let me know, many hands make light work and all that.
Oh yeah, when it comes time to hang sheetrock I will probably be soliciting volunteers. ;) I fucking hate sheetrock, especially ~1200sqft of it.

Dizzy D
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Scott,

Can we continue to borrow your saw for another project?
(Runs and hides behind Ralph)

TFOGGuys
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
... so I'll use some of that to stay here and pound my hammer.

Interesting euphemism.....LOL

Good luck with the remodel. I got to do the entire house top to bottom a few years back after we had a minor flood. I discovered that I pretty much hate carpentry, particularly in a 20+ year old house that was originally built without benefit of straight edge, measuring tape, level, or plumb bob.

Slacker
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, when it comes time to hang sheetrock I will probably be soliciting volunteers. ;) I fucking hate sheetrock, especially ~1200sqft of it.

We finished our basement about 6 months ago. Sheetrock sucks, especially the ceilings. I said screw it and hired a guy that had it hung, taped, mudded and tectured in 3 days. He does amazing work. I paid about $2k for 1400 sq/ft. Let me know if you want his info.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
One drawback of pulling a permit is your property taxes might increase a little.

... particularly in a 20+ year old house that was originally built without benefit of straight edge, measuring tape, level, or plumb bob.

Like my Dad used to say whenever we worked on older houses:
"They just don't build 'em like they used to......thank God."

Dietrich_R1
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
We finished our basement about 6 months ago. Sheetrock sucks, especially the ceilings. I said screw it and hired a guy that had it hung, taped, mudded and tectured in 3 days. He does amazing work. I paid about $2k for 1400 sq/ft. Let me know if you want his info.

AGREED... Sheetrock labor is very inexpensive & a LOT of work!!! By the time you rent the equipment & do the work, let a professional do it. It'll look MUCH better.

When I was doing general construction in the summer & once asked my boss why we didn't hang the sheetrock & all I got was a smirk! One day later he sat me down where the sheetrock was getting staged, gave me a pop, & told me not to move. I watched these guys hump their ass off all morning & they hung the whole house in a 1/2 day!!

Nick_Ninja
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
AGREED... Sheetrock labor is very inexpensive & a LOT of work!!! By the time you rent the equipment & do the work, let a professional do it. It'll look MUCH better.

When I was doing general construction in the summer & once asked my boss why we didn't hang the sheetrock & all I got was a smirk! One day later he sat me down where the sheetrock was getting staged, gave me a pop, & told me not to move. I watched these guys hump their ass off all morning & they hung the whole house in a 1/2 day!!

If I was rockin a project and some guy was sittin on his ass drinkin a pop .................. well ............... :D

Dietrich_R1
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well... He was writing my check, as well as theirs! :):):):)

rybo
Mon Dec 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hey Scott,

Can we continue to borrow your saw for another project?
(Runs and hides behind Ralph)

I'm in, you pay better than my current employment...

wazemoto07
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hey Ralph just a question are you wood framing it or steel stud??? I suggest steel due to if minor flood or any other type of damage rip the drywall and rebuild. No need to reframe it will still exist. I was a steel stud framer for near 5 years and have a good friend that owns a commercial business that deals only in steel stud, drywall and finishing. I can help if you need when time comes and most of our work in Jeffco as well Douglas county, cant help on Denver code. If need be let me know and I'll give you his number and he can probably steer you in the right direction, call me , 303-423-9021 or 303-253-1179 and would be glad to help.
Greg

rforsythe
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Cj - yeah I will call ya, sorry with the holidays and being sick I just haven't had a chance.

waze - I'm doing wood stud. Your points are valid, but I already have a whole shit ton of 2x4's down there for the project, so that's what I'll use.

asp_125
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM
+100 sheetrocking yourself sucks. I redid my basement a year and a half ago and if I ever have to, I'll contract it out. Mind you it's nice to say you did the work but after renting the lifter for the ceiling and taping and mudding and sanding, never again.

What are you doing for flooring? I put in a high quality underpad with the vapor barrier the first time. Then I had a flood and had to rip out all the carpet and the underpad. The flood control guy said if I had used cheaper underpad without the vapor barrier, he could've save me some time and money by drying the carpet in place because the lack of the vapor barrier would've allowed air to circulate.