PDA

View Full Version : R6 tire pressure

S2RGRL
Mon Jun 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
just wondered what the recommended tire pressure is for the track...does anyone know? :?

Anonymous
Mon Jun 16th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Depends on what kind of tires you have...

S2RGRL
Mon Jun 16th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Dunlop 208's, 180/55 Rear and 120/60 Front

UglyDogRacing
Mon Jun 16th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Dunlop 208's, 180/55 Rear and 120/60 Front

29psi front and rear would be a good starting point. Alot of it depends on track temperature. Email Mark Newby at http://www.rockymountainracetire.com/ at Mark@RockyMountainRaceTire.com He is the Dunlop rep for the Rocky Mtn region and could give you more info on recommended tire pressures.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 16th, 2003, 08:19 PM
What I was able to find on D208's online, was people suggesting 30psi or just a little higher on track.

If you're not riding hard, a little less pressure will probably be ok (and may handle better) as it will bring the tires into the heat range quicker. You're not cranking out serious HP so don't let that concern you. As you start to really push the bike, increase the pressure a little since you will be making more heat as a function of your riding; more pressure resists heating and will balance it out.

Maybe someone with 208's can comment on what they run specifically, that's just what I could find online. Take it at face value...

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 06:20 AM
I use 30 - 32psi on the track and I think its great average pressure. Im using Pilots 190 rear 120 front. Moving to a 180 rear VERY soon.

S2RGRL
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys...I really appreciate it :) Being new to riding the track, all the info is quite helpful :D

Ytry2
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 09:06 AM
While attending a track day on your beloved street bike,

1) DO NOT GO OUT ON THE TRACK TILL YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR TIRE AIR PRESSURE WHILE COLD. Most riders’ cruz the city with air pressure set at 34 - 36 psi cold. This is fine for the street, but could spell trouble on the track.

Get your self a digital air pressure that self adjusts its self to the atmospheric air pressure.

Depending on the size of the rider and the size of the bike set your tire pressure while the tires are COLD.

I race a GSXR600-01 - and weigh in at 160 pounds with full gear on.
I run D208gp and set my air pressure at 28 front, 28 rear on a day that is in the 70's to low 80's

Last year i rode Mich. H2 rear and S2 front and set them to the same air pressure.

On my GSXR1000 i would set the front at 28, and the rear at 29-30 depending on the track *more hp in the rear, more frictional heat created*

Guys on the same bike *gsxr6* that weight in at 180 - 200 pounds seem to set PSI at 29 - 29 given the same as above.

I have seen riders that weight less then me *women and rider around 130 pounds and lower, set pressure at 27/27 given the same as above*

DO NOT GO ANY LOWER THEN 27 PSI unless you know what you’re doing, or you have a trackside dealer RIGHT THERE to take temp samples when you come off the track,

I adjust air pressure according to out side air temp.

If the temps get into the upper 80's and 90's - I increase the air pressure by 1 pound or so while the tires are cold. You want the tires to heat up, but when the out side temp goes up, your tires will become hotter and greasy which is BAD... Increasing the air pressure makes the tire stiffer and harder, there for less frictional heat created.

Same for colder temps - you may drop the air pressure by 1 pound, to get more frictional heat into the tire, you can do this because the track and outside air temp are cooling the tire down. This balance so to speak keeps your tires in the "STICKY LIKE GLUE* zone so you reduce your chance at a lowside, and maybe a high side.

GIVE YOUR TIRES 2 TO 3 LAPS TO HEAT UP BEFORE YOU START TO HAMMER IT!

Doing this allows for a sticker tire and a wider contact patch to the asphalt.

Be smart, rider even SMARTER

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 09:24 AM
While attending a track day on your beloved street bike,

1) DO NOT GO OUT ON THE TRACK TILL YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR TIRE AIR PRESSURE WHILE COLD. Most riders’ cruz the city with air pressure set at 34 - 36 psi cold. This is fine for the street, but could spell trouble on the track.

Get your self a digital air pressure that self adjusts its self to the atmospheric air pressure.

Depending on the size of the rider and the size of the bike set your tire pressure while the tires are COLD.

I race a GSXR600-01 - and weigh in at 160 pounds with full gear on.
I run D208gp and set my air pressure at 28 front, 28 rear on a day that is in the 70's to low 80's

Last year i rode Mich. H2 rear and S2 front and set them to the same air pressure.

On my GSXR1000 i would set the front at 28, and the rear at 29-30 depending on the track *more hp in the rear, more frictional heat created*

Guys on the same bike *gsxr6* that weight in at 180 - 200 pounds seem to set PSI at 29 - 29 given the same as above.

I have seen riders that weight less then me *women and rider around 130 pounds and lower, set pressure at 27/27 given the same as above*

DO NOT GO ANY LOWER THEN 27 PSI unless you know what you’re doing, or you have a trackside dealer RIGHT THERE to take temp samples when you come off the track,

I adjust air pressure according to out side air temp.

If the temps get into the upper 80's and 90's - I increase the air pressure by 1 pound or so while the tires are cold. You want the tires to heat up, but when the out side temp goes up, your tires will become hotter and greasy which is BAD... Increasing the air pressure makes the tire stiffer and harder, there for less frictional heat created.

Same for colder temps - you may drop the air pressure by 1 pound, to get more frictional heat into the tire, you can do this because the track and outside air temp are cooling the tire down. This balance so to speak keeps your tires in the "STICKY LIKE GLUE* zone so you reduce your chance at a lowside, and maybe a high side.

GIVE YOUR TIRES 2 TO 3 LAPS TO HEAT UP BEFORE YOU START TO HAMMER IT!

Doing this allows for a sticker tire and a wider contact patch to the asphalt.

Be smart, rider even SMARTER

Good tips I would agree. I rode at 25 psi one time on a mid 70's day. I weigh 200 even fully geard up. Did pretty well but I was not as happy as I am around 30 psi. Im riding an R1 and it seems to be a great range for me.

rocktboy
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I use 30 - 32psi on the track and I think its great average pressure. Im using Pilots 190 rear 120 front. Moving to a 180 rear VERY soon.

thread hijacking: dion the new 190/55's are similar to the profile of the 180/55 and you have a little bit more contact patch w/o sacrificing quick turn-in. unfortunately they are not cheap and only come in dot race compounds. i use the rennsport race 190/55 rs3 (hard compound) and a rs2 front (medium soft).

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 17th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the tip. I got another track day and a few street miles on my Pilots before its time to by new rubber. WHo knows?