PDA

View Full Version : Windy!

dm_gsxr
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
And I'm riding Rita's Ninja this week (winter rotation). Should be an interesting ride in this morning. If you're riding, be careful.

Carl

Devaclis
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 07:03 AM
When I left at about 6:15 the wind in HR had died out completely. The ride in was a nice, warm 44!!! Woohoo!!! It is supposed to get cold around 11 this morning tho.

salsashark
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I've seen numerous bikes get blown over in the parking lot where I work... no wind protection.

After being woken up at 4 this morning because of the wind, I opted to leave the bike at home... sux cause I really wanted to ride today.

dm_gsxr
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately Rita vetoed the ride. "If you drop my bike, I won't be able to get full value when I sell it." :D

I'd have gone in on the 'busa but I haven't gotten around to replacing the headlight and Rita's bike has all the power cords for the heated gear right now.

Ah well. Sure were a bunch of idiots out this morning though. Wind's blowing from the left and they're on the right side of the lane being blown into the right lane.

Carl

MetaLord 9
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Wanted to ride pretty badly, especially after I got outside & felt how warm it was. But after seeing the traffic girl on 9news almost get blown into the road on numerous occasions and considering that the ride home would probably be below freezing, I opted for the cage today. And of course the right rear tire had 6 psi in it too, so it's gonna be a good day.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM
The 60 foot blue spruce in my back yard is now 20 feet and the road into the cul-de-sac is completely blocked. City crews have been called and they are bringing their chain saws and a front-end loader. Watch out for flying debris.

dirkterrell
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I saw half a sheet of sheet rock sailing 4' in the air down the road in front of my house this morning as I was repairing a fence. That changed my mind about riding. Then I get to work and discover that one of our AC condenser units on the roof had blown over.

Dirk

asp_125
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Really wanted to ride today, but seeing the garbage cans blown over, the cover of the BBQ blown off (weighted down with a brick), and trees down in the subdivision... decided to nix that idea.

DevilsTonic
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The wind here blew a pickett out of the fence, and blew some tree branches down in the back yard. Guess I'll be using my time off for yard work again today. :(

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
The wind here blew a pickett out of the fence, and blew some tree branches down in the back yard. Guess I'll be using my time off for yard work again today. :(

I'd wait if I were you. My yard will end up in your yard anyway --- and I live 30 miles away.

DevilsTonic
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Well I'll at least pop into the neighbors yard and screw the fence back together. .

dapper
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Ha...
It's absolutely beautiful in Centennial. :p

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ha...
It's absolutely beautiful in Centennial. :p

You lie. We all know that Centennial is the armpit of Highlands Ranch :D

Devaclis
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
There is really no wind here in the DTC. I felt a small breeze when I went out to check on the bike.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.eol.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/weather.cgi?site=fl&period=5-minute&units=metric&plotfield=wspd

TFOGGuys
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM
It was dead calm at my house at 6:30 (in western Kansass), so I contemplated riding. Right up to the point I checked the weather for the shop, and discovered the wind was blowing 34 mph, with gusts up to 64 mph. Knowing that the parking lot here is a wind tunnel that will accelerate the gusts by about 50%, I chose to drive the cage. Turns out, it was a good choice. As I was coming in the door, a gust caught it and slammed me into the wall (maybe 80 mph?). We've had tires blown out of the back of the pickup over night. Darn breezy!

longrider
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM
The advantages of living in the plains and working in Greenwood Village - a little breezy as I left the house but it calmed down as I hit Parker so all in all a good ride. Probably a little cool tonight but that is what gear is for

rforsythe
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Windy in denver but nothing damaged; a coworker in Boulder lost his fence. All in all not too crazy here though.

64BonnieLass
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
It's absolutely beautiful here in DT Littleton. :)

Devaclis
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I am off to take a ride for lunch. Woohoooooo!

guessinthe2000
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I heard it was at one point either last night or today 80mph

dm_gsxr
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
My scarf was blowing sideways while I was heading up 287 and all my chicken strips are gone from the left side of the bike :shocked:

Carl

Devaclis
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 07:37 AM
When I left at about 6:15 the air was so still it was creepy. By the time I got to University and A-pahoe it was blowing like an out of work lawyer.

pauliep
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Rode into work today too! Joined the SuMo family and picked up the DR-Z 400 SM :)

dirkterrell
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
My scarf was blowing sideways while I was heading up 287 and all my chicken strips are gone from the left side of the bike :shocked:

Fortunately my ride is mostly east-west so I don't notice it so much. But for the few short blocks where I'm heading north in Boulder, it got my attention.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
wasn't that bad on 25 south but the on ramp to 470 west was a bit blustery. Nothing like getting broadsided by a couple of gusts of wind when your leaning off the bike...

Sortarican
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
YAR! SHE BLOWS!
http://www.24-7simpsons.com/sea%20captain%201.jpg

MetaLord 9
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Da-dum

dm_gsxr
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Fortunately my ride is mostly east-west so I don't notice it so much. But for the few short blocks where I'm heading north in Boulder, it got my attention.

Dirk

I come up over Lowell to Sheridan so I'm on an exposed hill all the way down to Anthem. The SUVdiot in the right lane was in the left then right then as I started to pass, he was heading my way again.

From Lafayette up to Pike in Longmont, the wind was awesome. Especially over the combed concrete :shocked:

Carl

FZRguy
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I hit some wicked strong gusts west of Wads...hoping it calms down by 11 p.m.