PDA

View Full Version : need help, shift problem

jimwallace
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
allright, so i finished painting my bike, went for the first ride. pulled over put the kickstand down walked away and heard ....thud...(immediately followed by the thud of my heart). yep bike fell over. anyway it busted the rearset. I purchased a new rearset put it on and my bike wont shift up. it shifts to first and neutral.....(no its not an adjustment problem on the rearset) anyway whats would be the consensus on most likely problem, before i start to tear into this thing.

Devaclis
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Is your shift rod bent?

asp_125
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Likely not the rearset. Check the shift linkages to see if they weren't also bent or interfering with something.

jimwallace
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
by shift rod do you mean tie rod (rod from shift lever to rod) or shift rod from tie rod to change assembly? Tie rod no (new)..................
shift rod doesnt look like it.

konichd
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I take it its standard shift? If so when it fell over did it damage the shift lever? Does the shift lever move its full length of travel or is it "frozen" and wont move upward?

Devaclis
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Rod coming from the tranny to the linkage. Can you shift it into 2nd by hand with a lot of force? You may need to adjust your clutch throw out rod. I have to do this on my wifes bike about every 6 months.

jimwallace
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
yes its standard shift pattern. It did bend the shift lever but i replaced the entire rearset, shift lever and all.

no i cannot shift to second. i can shift down into first and then up into neutral but pull up more and the lever wont move up and no shifting

i was thinking maybe the gear selector lever inside may have been bent or gotten bound up?

jimwallace
Tue Dec 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
i was thinking it may be the shift selector (shift star) got bent or bound up? if this is the case and it needs replaced would it be beneficial for me to go aftermarket quick shift star kit or should i stay with stock?

httc84
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Accidently rotate the shifter to "GP" shifting during install?

If not, disconnect linkage from rearset and try it. Maybe rearset binding?

dragos13
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm sure it has something to do with adjustment. Take everything off and see if you can shift thru the gears using a pair of plyers on the actual shift shaft. Make sure you are slightly rocking the rear tire back and forth as the bikes usually dont like to shift while no load or pressure against the counter sprocket.

JOE!!!!!!
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM
+1 on what Casey said. If the bike is on the ground (no rear stand) then roll it to turn the rear wheel. If you have a rear stand, get the rear wheel off the ground and turn it by hand, THEN try shifting. You have to rotate the countershaft to get the gears to mesh so the shifter can do it's thing.

jimwallace
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
as i said above its nothing to do with adjustment on the rearset, but for the sake of argument i did go out and try, i put the rearstand under, detached rearset linkage, spun rear tire, and tried shifting by hand.......no go.

konichd
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Only thing left to do is crack it open. I'm guessing when it fell over the shifter moved its full length of travel and then jambed something internally after the shifter stopped moving. Hopefully its somthing minor that just got tweaked.

Bashed
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Its a Kawasaki with positve nuetral finder.
Go ride it and see if it goes into 2nd under load instead of just on the stand or not moving. This is my 2 cents.
Bash

jimwallace
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
mr. mike....you.....are....THE BOMB. and on another note.....boy do i feel DUMB. and on a final note, thats THE BEST news ive gotten in quite a while, i have had many many episodes of bad news, maybe i can go for a ride now and forget about all of those.

Tipys
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Its a Kawasaki with positve nuetral finder.
Go ride it and see if it goes into 2nd under load instead of just on the stand or not moving. This is my 2 cents.
Bash

Thats what I was thinking just thought Jim was smart enough to try and ride and shift at the same time. Opps guess I was wroung. Also dont you own 3 Kawis Jim should you have known this.

jimwallace
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
yes, i should have known. like i said i feel very dumb. my mind has been very occupied by several very unpleasant things of recent. thats the only "excuse" i can come up with.

Tipys
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Ya I have noticed and understand