PDA

View Full Version : TL1000R/S shock

swademaster
Sat Dec 18th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Does anybody know if the rear shock is the same for the R and S models? I need one for my TLS and have found a few on ebay for the TLR. Or is there anybdy with a TLR in the north metro area with one that I could take a look at to compare mine too?

MattTLS
Sun Dec 19th, 2004, 11:40 AM
The shocks are different. Are you trying to replace the stock rotary damper with an aftermarket shock, or do you just want to replace it with another stock damper?

Matthew

swademaster
Sun Dec 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Another stock one. Just need to replace the shock, not the damper.

kevplus2
Sun Dec 19th, 2004, 05:23 PM
you mean you need to replace the "spring on a stick"?

they usually dont fail, usually the damper fails (or breaks the tabs on the frame). if you cant find a stocker for a good price, check out the bitubo. it replaces both the spring and the rotary damper, all for around 400 bones.

if you want to stay stock ask around over at TLPlanet (http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/) . i am sure someone who has gone the bitubo route has a stocker they will give up for a good price

Anonymous
Mon Dec 20th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Do yourself a favor and go aftermarket. Suzuki had an interesting idea on that stock thing, but in reality it sucked.

kevplus2
Mon Dec 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM
:imwithstupid:

even yoshimura threw it away after dropping many thousands into re-development of the rotary damper.

swademaster
Tue Dec 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM
you mean you need to replace the "spring on a stick"?

they usually dont fail, usually the damper fails (or breaks the tabs on the frame). if you cant find a stocker for a good price, check out the bitubo. it replaces both the spring and the rotary damper, all for around 400 bones.

if you want to stay stock ask around over at TLPlanet (http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/) . i am sure someone who has gone the bitubo route has a stocker they will give up for a good price

I'll check that out. Just don't have the funds right now is the problem.

kevplus2
Tue Dec 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
what problems are you having exactly? hang with me here, i just want to make sure you know what you got under there. if you look up under there you will see 2 separate and distinct rear suspension components unlike a monoshock which combines the 2.

on the right side, along the frame is the spring (known as a spring on a stick). it isnt a shock, it is just a spring and the only way i have seen it fail is from the shaft bending. this doesn't happen often from what i have seen. if this does happen you will have little to no suspension movement and the ride will be harsh as hell

on the left side is a box with an arm hanging off of it. that is your rotary damper. it slows the compression and rebound of the suspension like a normal shock. they dont fail very often either, but they pretty much suck to begin with. usually it is blamed on the small amount of oil inside of it and the rather small valves. not to mention its location next to the rear header

notice all the linkage hanging off the 2 items. make sure it is all lubed and tightened within spec. it could be binding or just loose (which on the rotary side causes the frame to crack). while you are down there check the frame around the rotary damper mounts. the tls is very prone to frame cracks in that area. the rotary damper works loose and twists, putting alot of stress on the mounts and cracking them in time.

and if it is stock stuff that you want and you find that you really need it, go over to tlplanet. hell i gave away my rotary damper over there and i am sure someone will either give you what you need or make you a hell of a deal

swademaster
Tue Dec 21st, 2004, 09:32 PM
It feels the same as when a shock goes bad on a car. After going over a bump the rear end keeps bouncing.

Sparker
Tue Dec 21st, 2004, 10:33 PM
thats the same that happened to mine. it had almost 30k miles on it. it just needed a seal replacement. it wasnt doing anything at all. just moving back and forth with the bike and not placing a compression resistance or rebound on it.

swademaster
Wed Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Mine has 22K. The seal is in the damper, correct? Was it hard to change?

kevplus2
Wed Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
the damper is a sealed unit. what seal did you replace?

i have heard of peeps working on them, but i haven't seen any parts available for them.

try and find a used one that someone has swapped out since the rotary damper is ~860 bucks new :shock:

LoKi
Fri Dec 31st, 2004, 07:45 AM
the damper is a sealed unit. what seal did you replace?

i have heard of peeps working on them, but i haven't seen any parts available for them.

try and find a used one that someone has swapped out since the rotary damper is ~860 bucks new :shock:

I've swapped mine out and still have the stock rotary damper. It only has about 2,200 miles on it. I'll part with it for cheap.

LoKi
Tue Jan 4th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Swademaster, you should send me or post a pic of your bike now that's back on the road. I never get sick of seeing TLSs.

kevplus2
Thu Jan 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
even if i'm not swademaster....

http://home.comcast.net/~herzingkplus4/linked_save/newtl6.jpg

LoKi
Fri Jan 7th, 2005, 02:18 AM
that is one sweet TL. thank you for posting

swademaster
Fri Jan 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks to kevplus2 and Sparker for your suggestions. It turned out to be only a bolt that had fallen out. Thanks to Loki for hooking me up with the bolt.

swademaster
Fri Jan 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Nice bike. Here is mine. We'll have to get all the TL's together some time.

LoKi
Thu Jan 27th, 2005, 11:46 PM
They both look good to me... I love TLSs

ozzy187
Sun Mar 27th, 2005, 04:58 AM
new here just reading. This site is great, lots of cool people and good info. I wish I would of known about this site when I owned my tl1000r.

swademaster
Sun Mar 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM
TL PLanet is even better for TL owners.