PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget...

OldKneeDragger
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Since I was 13 years old with my Suzuki TS-120 I decided that riding a motorcycle on January 1st was the prelude to a very good year of motorcycling.

Over the years I've done my best to accomplish this. One year there was so much ice that the best I could do was get all the cars out of the garage and have the shortest oval one could imagine but there was always some sort of ride.

Well, this year the weather is looking great for a excellent ride.... That is my sign that 2009 will be an excellent year for motorcycles.

Call it superstition if you want... but I'm a believer!!

(Don't knock it, this has worked for me over the last 40 years!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR and be safe!!!!

Devaclis
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:36 PM
We will be riding tomorrow. I hope it is warm enough for video :)

salsashark
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:36 PM
I like the way you think :up:

Gonna have to get home on 1/1 and head out for a spin... before crashing on the couch to recover

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM
New Years Day --- Monarch Pass --- 1996

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/janone1999.jpg

zetaetatheta
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Don't forget the black-eyed peas and cabbage:)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77tX7uDvc&eurl=http://musicmaven.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/black-eyed-peas-and-cabbage/

Pandora-11
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:08 PM

Mike,
That's called Hoppin' Johns... honey. Get your southern stuff right...you mississippi people.

zetaetatheta
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Mike,
That's called Hoppin' Johns... honey. Get your southern stuff right...you mississippi people.
Hoppin John has rice---no rice

Pandora-11
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hoppin John has rice---no rice

YOur name is MIke isnt it? The rice is the good luck part....like in weddings...you dont want to leave that part out.

ghost-whiner
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM
As long as it is warmer than it was today WOW... I need a scarf or something

zetaetatheta
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:21 PM
YOur name is MIke isnt it? The rice is the good luck part....like in weddings...you dont want to leave that part out.
then rice it'll be:) Mike is not my name--it is ZETA! You can call me me Mike though--if I can call you mommy.

Devaclis
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
As long as it is warmer than it was today WOW... I need a scarf or something

It's 51 out! Get that bike rollin' :)

ghost-whiner
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:26 PM
It's 51 out! Get that bike rollin' :)

Well it was a bit colder at 7 in the morning :D... but as soon as the work bell rings IM OUTA HERE!!!

Pandora-11
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
then rice it'll be:) Mike is not my name--it is ZETA! You can call me me Mike though--if I can call you mommy.

mommy it isn't.....:( no:)

thatmofo
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Is anyone getting together to ride tomorrow?

64BonnieLass
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great way to bring in the new year OKD. I think I'll do the same.

New Year's Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming northwest.

RIDERIDERIDERIDERIDE. :)

Devaclis
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Man, it was nice out there today. Bear Creek Canyon is really clean and all but 1 car pulled over for us :)

Hope you got to get out and ride today!!

Gramps
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM

NO NO you got it all wrong.

Pork = Luck
Greens = Money
Blackeye peas = change

Pandora-11
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
NO NO you got it all wrong.

Pork = Luck
Greens = Money
Blackeye peas = change

my bad...rice for riches

Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
Rice for riches and peas for peace.
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.

Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:

It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.

A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.

An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"

The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

OldKneeDragger
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
Got my fix!

Rode the bike to Breakfast before the sun came up for my normal morning coffee. Came back home and changed the tires on the old KZ1300. Wow, those bias ply belted tires are a mother to get off the wheel after 30 years. I had to stand on the lever arm of the breaker bar to bust the bead.

That took a lot longer than I expected but I still got a short 250 mile ride in anyway:hump:
http://images.sportbikes.org/1-1-2009.jpg

gsxrscott
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well we didn't get to Monarch pass, but we did a little riding around the neighborhood just to get the new bikes warmed up and cleared out!

longrider
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
I got my ride in today, just a quick 45 miles but it was a ride. I saw a lot of bikes out (Elizabeth/Franktown/Castle Rock). but except for 1 GSXR, 1 older sportbike and 1 adventure-tourer they were all cruisers. Usually its the other way around, 1 Christmas I saw nothing but sportbikes

peteremsley
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Rode the bike to run some errands today. Saw 3 bikes at the light at 470 and Santa Fe that looked familiar, and a few more on 470 on the way to Parker. Nice day to be out, and tomorrow should be even better! Cool that we can ride on January 1.

COS Mille
Thu Jan 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Damn.............I was fixing my fence from the wind.........still not done....Looks like Bash and GSXRscott are making good progress with the track bikes!

636chick
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Damn.............I was fixing my fence from the wind.........still not done....Looks like Bash and GSXRscott are making good progress with the track bikes!

Unfortunately that is as far as Mrs Bash Allowed Mr Broken Ass Bash to ride his little toy's. However it was quite humerous to watch G-Spot almost wipe out on the corner in front of my house............dirt my dimpled white butt!!!!!!

However Mr Bash did get in a little dirt ridin across my flower garden. BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Hi11Zone
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
ya i rode today it was nice

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Boulder Canyon to Nederland for lunch at the P.I. then south through Rollinsville along the P2P through Blackhawk and then down US 6 to Golden. Then 93 north. GREAT DAY!! :up:

dirkterrell
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Boulder Canyon to Nederland for lunch at the P.I. then south through Rollinsville along the P2P through Blackhawk and then down US 6 to Golden. Then 93 north. GREAT DAY!! :up:

If my two IT support guys hadn't been out today I would have joined you. Glad it was a good one for you! :up:

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
It's pick & choose. I'll snag you the next time. :up:

Mental
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Snuck out the track bike to blow out the carbs and piss off my neighbors, then hooped on the Dr to buzz around the construction and undeveloped parts of my neighborhood, then around town a bit, I must have just missed Scott when I swung by the Bashes.

Tipys
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Ya I didnt make it out was alittle to hung over from the night before guess thats what happens when you havnt drank in the last 6months

COS Mille
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Fixed the fence, damn what a pain, hate posts with concrete. So after the work was done I got the chopper out (oh no I confessed to riding on the other side too!). Was good to get out again.
I'm going to have to do a road trip on the YSR sometime, anybody else have a street legal 50cc?

RF900guy
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I didn't get the V-Max out but I did manage to fly the P-51 Mustang in the air without many issues.

OldKneeDragger
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I did manage to fly the P-51 Mustang in the air without many issues.

P-51 :shocked: Cool... Of course being in the air you don't want "many issues". I figure going up is optional, coming down is mandatory...

Sortarican
Mon Jan 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
... Bear Creek Canyon is really clean and all but 1 car pulled over for us :)

That really surprised me. Must have been leftover Christmas spirit.
By Spring they'll be back to running us over.