PDA

View Full Version : Who has a GPS?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Portable or in-car? Brand? Likes, dislikes?

I just bought a Garmin portable nuvi 205W. I like it, but sometimes it routes you weird ways, and I'd really like the ability to map online the EXACT route I want, then download it into the GPS. That model was more expensive, and I would have bought it, but Dicks wouldn't order it for me, so I was stuck with the model they sell as I had a gift card. Instead, with this model, all you can do is add a via point. You can load pics into it. I really like the ability to find almost anything by querying. From food to hardware stores to video stores, and just hit "Go" and it'll take you there. Plus, usually it has the phone # so you can call for hours and such.

Anyone?

Nick_Ninja
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 04:16 PM
My phone is a GPS.

rforsythe
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 05:39 PM
I put a nav system in the truck (totally worth it), plus my iPhone has GPS. Between the two I'm all set. That said I'm still going to get a weatherproof one for the bike one of these days.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 05:46 PM
I put a nav system in the truck (totally worth it), plus my iPhone has GPS. Between the two I'm all set. That said I'm still going to get a weatherproof one for the bike one of these days.
Well, Garmin makes a waterproof one just for bikes with big buttons, but it's not the widescreen like I have, and it's expensive. I'd rather make something to make mine waterproof. I haz mad design skillz! I like that I can use mine on bothe truck and bike, and just carry it if need be.

modette99
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM

SaShWhO
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM
it is what it is! they are what they are.
love it!

PhL0aTeR
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I rely on my GPS way too much.... i find that it will route me a way that i wouldnt necessarily go, but is faster.... I also like that it doesnt talk back, i dont have to ask what it said if it mumbled, it doesnt tell me it has to pee when i ask what exit to take, and most importantly, it doesnt bitch at me when i make a wrong turn, or miss a turn or whatever, it just rolls with the punches and gives me the best option to get back on track..... lol.... its a magellan roadmate 1200 and i got it last year on black friday, this year they are even cheaper, you can get a refurb one for $80 shipped, im thinking about one for the other cage so i dont have to swap back and forth. Oh and my previous "navigation" was the wife, if you didnt catch that ;) I beleive the purchase of the GPS brought us closer together.... lol

asp_125
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have the Tom Tom 130S. In hindsight I should have gotten one with a headphone jack so I can use it for the bike. I can choose for it to route me via the fastest way, shortest distance, avoid highways/tolls, etc. But it sometimes routes me in funky directions.

zetaetatheta
Wed Dec 31st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Got a Zumo 550, beta testing the software for a mac. Water proof, made for motorcycles, MP3 player, bluetooth, with antenna sat radio, can view pics with it and has an adapter for the car. Expensive..Cosco had the Zumo 440 for I think $350.

modette99
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
A good site for GPS reviews:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/

pilot
Fri Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I use the 550 all the time traveling across the country. It is great for finding someplace in the cities that one doesn't know. There is also an on-board unit in the 07 F250 but that one can't be adjusted to different addresses on the fly. You have to stop, change, and get moving again. PITA. The screen is bigger though.

We use the 550 on the bike, the truck and when just walking around. It is great to help locate the truck when we park it and need to remember where the hell we were parked at. Also, you can give it to someone to go to the vehicle to get stuff. No need to draw a map or give complex left/right directions. Very handy.

But, there is something to say for the old Rand McNally, for sure! Nothing like looking over the map at dinner, planning the next days ride.

GPSs do a lousy job of pointing out places of interest. Nothing beats a tour book and a map for those, "I'm bound for anywhere," trips.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll like the 550, etc. Get one with Bluetooth. Also, if you want great "in ear" headphones that don't interfere with your wearing a helmet, PM me. I have them for I-Phones, I-Pods and MP3 players, etc.