PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plating?

OldKneeDragger
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Does anybody have any experience with any of the chrome plating shops in the area?

200sr20
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I haven't used the personally, but my best friend uses Denver Bumper. I have seen the work they do and it looked really good!! But in your end of the state I have no idea

Ceez
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ajax Plating on Broadway does great work as well. I am pretty sure there has to be some place good in COS or Pueblo that does decent work.

ChrisCBX
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ajax Plating on Broadway does great work as well. I am pretty sure there has to be some place good in COS or Pueblo that does decent work.

I don't think that Ajax does chrome anymore.

Denver Dumper is one of the few companies in Colorado that still does chrome. The upside is that their quality is great. They have done a bunch of parts for me over the years and I've never had a problem. They are doing more parts for me right now.

Ceez
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think that Ajax does chrome anymore.

Denver Dumper is one of the few companies in Colorado that still does chrome. The upside is that their quality is great. They have done a bunch of parts for me over the years and I've never had a problem. They are doing more parts for me right now.

Wow, thats crazy, they did some trim parts off of my old 64 Impala back in 2001. Thats too bad, they were really prompt and reasonable with all my parts.

RF900guy
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
OKD,

We used Qualtek Manufacturing in Colorado Springs to anodize aluminum parts when I was at Adam. They also do heat treating. You might want to give them a call to se if they do chrome plating. You also might call Finishing Well, Inc. or Finishes Ltd. I do not know what kind of work either of these guys does but they are in the COS yellow pages under plating.

OldKneeDragger
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Guys! Chrome plating is getting more and more difficult for companies to do with all the environmental problems that result. I've called lots of folks and the best and apparently most knowledgeable service available is from an outfit in Grand Junction. The local shops are either getting out of the Chrome business or limiting the service to bumpers. Getting a quotation from http://www.platingspecialties.com/, is not easy but $300+ for a single motorcycle exhaust pipe seems to be in the neighborhood.

Those that know me understand that I'm not into show bikes, but rather functionality and something that can be used as a daily ride suits me better.

So I'm kinda torn between the chrome service or a "Jet-Hot" http://www.jet-hot.com/ for less than half the cost with a sterling finish.

ChrisCBX
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I bookmarked the Plating Specialties site. Nice knowing someone that will do zinc plate.

Here is my race bike X's pipes after media blasted and coated with Jet Hot Sterling. I've been told its pretty durable too.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/RaceBikeInProgress1043.jpg