PDA

View Full Version : Best place for remote start

Fly boy
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Looking to get a remote start for the truck and there is only 1 place up here that will do it, and the price starts at $400 installed.

I can buy one for $80 but the install looks to much for me. Does anyone know a good place North of denver that is inexpensive and trustworthy to do an install?

Would you suggest these places:
Car toys?
Circuit City?
Best Buy?

Thanks for the help

rforsythe
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I went with a place Kristian recommended when I had it put in my truck; I did pay about $400 installed give or take. Personally I'd recommend going that route though, since it does also act as the alarm and ties into some of the other wiring. If you screw that part up you might not be able to get the engine started at all.

They came out to my work and did it on-site as well, which was great. I'll try to remember the name. They weren't north of Denver but who knows, they might travel.

Matty
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I was over at Car Toys last week. I think it was somewhere in the mid-300s.

PROFLYER
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Ultimate has a really simple one that's lock/unlock/start that I added to my tahoe for 200 installed. I've had them do like 5 cars now, as long as you don't have a smart key it's easy. Don't try and install it yourself though, tons of wires and no room for error.

Devaclis
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
the BEST place for a remote start is ON the vehicle you want to remote start. Just my .02

InlineSIX24
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Quality Autosound does them too if there's one close. I don't know how much for just remote start since the one I had them do was a combo w/ an alarm.

ChrisCBX
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I've installed them in quite a few vehicles and they are definitely getting difficult to do. Its worth $300-$400 to have somebody install one correctly.

Tipys
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey I can install it for pretty cheap depending on make and model of car. Send me a PM if interested

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
i bought one on ebay for like 35 and had a local performance shop install it for me for less than $100 including all the extra stuff they had to buy cuz the kit was incomplete.... it worked for what it was..... plain jane remote start.

bulldog
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Is your truck a manual transmission? If so no reputable shop will do it. There are some installers that advertise on craigslist that do it at the side. I researched this a lot a few months back...

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Is your truck a manual transmission? If so no reputable shop will do it. There are some installers that advertise on craigslist that do it at the side. I researched this a lot a few months back...

Fixed

and yeah, i wouldnt advise that either...... and the first time you leave it in gear and push that button..... :cry:

Fly boy
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It is an 06 Titan with keyless entry. Auto tranny and I have the write up on how-to but it just is above my "Screwing-with-stuff" skill and I don't want to mess something up.

Tipsy.... Where are you located?

rforsythe
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Are you sure Nissan doesn't make a remote start for your truck? If they do it may very well just plug into the harness.

Tipys
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
It is an 06 Titan with keyless entry. Auto tranny and I have the write up on how-to but it just is above my "Screwing-with-stuff" skill and I don't want to mess something up.

Tipsy.... Where are you located?

Im in colorado Springs. As long as its just a remote starter its pretty easy as long as the kit has the chart for which wires go to what I can do it for around $100

Fly boy
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Are you sure Nissan doesn't make a remote start for your truck? If they do it may very well just plug into the harness.

The Stealership didn't mention such a thing. Said they would charge ~$300 for a remote start and install.

Im in colorado Springs. As long as its just a remote starter its pretty easy as long as the kit has the chart for which wires go to what I can do it for around $100

Heh, thats a bit far for me. Thanks for the offer though.

Tipys
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
ok just let me know if you change your mind

pg_rider
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
We had Drive In Autosound in Colorado Springs install one in our Jeep for ~$500. The guy that did it (Shan) was awesome -- you could tell he'd done a lot of them. Works perfect -- highly recommended.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised everyone thinks remote starts are hard to install. They come with very detailed instructions (connect red wire to blue w/ pink stripe). I can see it being more difficult if you're color blind!

Remember in school when you had to learn a math formula by reading the book and then apply it? Same thing with the install, read the instructions and then apply it...

Tipys
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised everyone thinks remote starts are hard to install. They come with very detailed instructions (connect red wire to blue w/ pink stripe). I can see it being more difficult if you're color blind!

Remember in school when you had to learn a math formula by reading the book and then apply it? Same thing with the install, read the instructions and then apply it...

It is easy once you can get to the wires and isn't all that easy sometimes. Cause car companys make they cars harder and harder to get to those wires so you cant hot wire even with chipped keys and laser cut keys they have made it easier with those now.

Exsample 2005 STS there is no starter wire under the dash.
Exsample 1998 A6 to get to the wires you need to you have to pull the gauges and if you dont know that your doing to be trying to get to the wires for awhile took me about 3 hours yesturday to find where they were and I do this everyday.
Exsample 2006 A6 everything you need you pull one panel and its right there
Exsample 2000 dodge 1500 Three screws pull the panel and everything you need is right there.

So its easy and hard at the same time.

Fly boy
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I am not very electrically advanced, so 4 hours for this guy might be 2 days for me...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/49708-how-install-remote-starter.html

Tipys
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM
4 hours is a long time

ChrisCBX
Thu Jan 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
It is easy once you can get to the wires and isn't all that easy sometimes. Cause car companys make they cars harder and harder to get to those wires so you cant hot wire even with chipped keys and laser cut keys they have made it easier with those now.

Exsample 2005 STS there is no starter wire under the dash.
Exsample 1998 A6 to get to the wires you need to you have to pull the gauges and if you dont know that your doing to be trying to get to the wires for awhile took me about 3 hours yesturday to find where they were and I do this everyday.
Exsample 2006 A6 everything you need you pull one panel and its right there
Exsample 2000 dodge 1500 Three screws pull the panel and everything you need is right there.

So its easy and hard at the same time.

I agree.

A wiring schematic will only get you so far. Access to the proper wires can get to be a challenge. Other challenges that I've ran into were trying to get accurate wiring schematic for a first generation, new car. Accurate wiring info wasn't available. Another issue was trying to determine what type of optional security system a vehicle had and then configure a way for a remote starter to work with that system (also on a new vehicle with limited info available).

Most common vehicles probably are a straight forward install but not all jobs are as easy as they appear to be.