PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino.....funny

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Jan 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The new Clint Eastwood movie is funny as all hell. He is a grouchy old man and is a racist as a person can be. He does a great job playing his role. One of the best bits of acting I have ever seen, especially for Clint. great story! I give it two thumbs up.
anyone else seen it?
Mack:up::up:

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Jan 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I laughed so hard it made me cry. I was honestly embarrased at times. I think it was one of the best films I have EVER seen. Definetly a long stride away from the spaghetti westerns he made in the 70's I saw it last week at the Regal and will prolly go see it again. just too damn funny. Great ending. I also didn't think I would like it very much. what a nice surprise.

dirkterrell
Sun Jan 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, a highly recommended film. Clint is making awesome movies of late.

Dirk

Stuart Little
Sun Jan 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
"What're you spooks up to?" :)

Good Movie!

pg_rider
Mon Jan 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Definitely some great lines but I thought there were too many slow sections in the movie. And aside from Clint the acting was terrible -- the priest, the asians, all of them seemed like amateurs. I would have preferred a different ending too... :)

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I would have preferred a different ending too... :)

With today's digital editing software, I'm sure a "Gran Torino Drifter" or the "The Gran Torino Enforcer" edit will appear on YouTube at some point. :)

Dirk

Sortarican
Mon Jan 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Want to see this one.
Suprised to hear that it's funny, the trailers I've seen aren't really selling it that way.
They make it sound more like a Dirty Harry meets the "get off my lawn" old guy on the corner.

This is a weedwhacker 5000, the most powerful lawn tool in the world, and would take your head clean off.
So you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, PUNK?!"

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Want to see this one.
Suprised to hear that it's funny, the trailers I've seen aren't really selling it that way.
They make it sound more like a Dirty Harry meets the "get off my lawn" old guy on the corner.

Definitely lots of humorous scenes. It's refreshing because it's humor that most of Hollywood is too PC to even attempt these days.

Dirk

pilot
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Almost watched GT out here in Maryland. Ended up watching 20 minutes of Marley and Me. That was funny as hell and really fits for anyone who has raised a dog from a puppy!

Also peeked in on 7 Pounds and only saw enough to be willing to give it another shot for the whole thing down the road. Seems like a Will Smith serious film.

Watched The Day the Earth Stood Still, for the second time, and got a laugh out of all the little sponsorship shots throughout the movie. Reeves is really starting to get typecast as the stone faced actor. He could use a comedy or something to break it up.

Happy movie hunting to all!

McVaaahhh
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Holy shit a post from Mack. :shock:

derekm
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
bump this thread... what a great film.

derekm
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Walt Kowalski (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/): Oh, I've got one. A Mexican, a Jew, and a colored guy go into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Get the fu*k out of here."

DavidofColorado
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Not to revive an old thread but I thought I would wait until this movie came out on DVD and since it did I have watched no less that 3 times by my self and 2 times with the family. We are not stuck on PC so it wasn't a shock to hear him say zipper or head in one word. But it was a great movie.

Clint is back and I want to meet him before he dies. This is like the movie John Wayne made before he died (the shootist, a old cowboy dieing of cancer and wants to go out with a bang).

The Asian acting sucked big time. But Clint Eastwood carried them nicely.

Ceez
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Great movie for sure, what made it funnier for me is that I have lots of Hmong friends. This is a definite must see.

DavidofColorado
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
For sure this is a must see. The trailers didn't do it justice. Its the one time when the trailers weren't better than the movie.

buzzardman36
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
The movie was good, but Eastwood is getting soft in his old age fo sho. The ending should have been more like the unforgiven. He should have rolled up and KILLED EVERYBODY, then maybe blow up the house and kill a few neighbors just for good measure. Ending was very disappointing. When I went to the movies to watch it, there was a dude that had his Gran Torino all cherry and parked in front of the theater. It was sweet!

RajunCajun
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Walt Kowalski (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/): Oh, I've got one. A Mexican, a Jew, and a colored guy go into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Get the fu*k out of here."

Yeah, GREAT movie, but from the quote above and from all the racist remarks, I find it impossible to belive that, that old bastard would say every bad name for a race and never say "nigger". He would have dropped more N bombs than the airforce over the middle east!!! I think he kinda sold out cuz he was too scared of Al Sharpton and the NAACP.

Other than that, awesome movie and I want to see it again.

DavidofColorado
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, GREAT movie, but from the quote above and from all the racist remarks, I find it impossible to belive that, that old bastard would say every bad name for a race and never say "nigger". He would have dropped more N bombs than the airforce over the middle east!!! I think he kinda sold out cuz he was too scared of Al Sharpton and the NAACP.

Other than that, awesome movie and I want to see it again.
That's so true he never dropped the n word. Maybe he's afraid of Al Sharpton but he would be the first. He did tell Micheal Moore that if he ever showed up at his door like he did with Charlton Heston that he would just shoot him. That might get you the ending that you wanted.

RajunCajun
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
That's so true he never dropped the n word. Maybe he's afraid of Al Sharpton but he would be the first. He did tell Micheal Moore that if he ever showed up at his door like he did with Charlton Heston that he would just shoot him. That might get you the ending that you wanted.

Hahaha!

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think "dragon lady" was the funniest thing in that movie.

Mental
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Saw it this weekend with my Mexicab in laws. I was prepared to laugh, and was not disapoionted. I agree with the other actors not being up to par. I think they would have been OK, but next to Clint it really kind of exposes their lack of experience.

Would I found neat was, the character isn't so much a racist, he just hates weakness and cowardice. One anyone lips off to him, he accepts them.

BeoBe
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
yea me and my girl watched this movie in the theatre and it was a really good movie.. id even buy it on dvd

modette99
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM

sugarrey
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I think that Clint is the king of one liners.....Heartbreak Ridge OMG what a awesome movie with some if the best burns EVER.

CE is still impressive.

Think
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Great movie. But I thought Toad was a TERRIBLE actor, easily the worst in the movie. Su (sp?) was alright.

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I think "dragon lady" was the funniest thing in that movie.

I like the barber scene when he brought toad.

pauliep
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
bump this thread... what a great film.

What he said...