PDA

View Full Version : Chain lube question

surfinspacegirl
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 10:34 AM
OK, so I have the new 520 DID X-ring chain & new sprockets on the bike, and in talking to a racer or two, have been told not to use lube at all, since all it does is gunk up the chain with road crud and thus decrease it's life. All that's needed apparently, is to use some WD40 to clean it off every 500 miles or so & wipe off - the chain has enough lubricant in the links, and doesn't need any on the sprockets.

I can see the logic in this, and obviously racers have forgotten more about bike maintenance than I know at this point :lol: , but the "clean with appropriate solvent & lube with chain lube every 500 miles" thing has been drilled into me and I'm having a hard time letting go of it :roll:

Anyone else have any thoughts/experience on this?

RSVR4aCowboy
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 02:57 PM
I clean my chain with WD40, wipe it down good, and use a chain wax when it's cleaned. I too have heard that using WD40 as a cleaner and lube is OK. I don't seem to have any problems with gunk build up with the wax but when I used chain lube, gunk on the chain was a fact of life. :( I usually clean my chain weekly (~ 300 miles a week) tho'. Haven't noticed any problems with chain or unusual sprocket wear. :blowup:

jontflesh
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I put 20k miles on my original chain and sprocket before replacing them.
Always used WD-40 for cleaning and used Foaming chain wax as a lube.

I never do wheelies, burnount ect so I think that helps a lot with the amount of miles I was able to rack up on em.

Ralph does not agree with WD-40 but what does he know? ;)

Flesh

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Try the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning your chain- http://www.didchain.com/question.html I've always used kerosene since it doesn't damage the O-rings. I also use chain wax to lubricate.

jontflesh
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Try the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning your chain- http://www.didchain.com/question.html I've always used kerosene since it doesn't damage the O-rings. I also use chain wax to lubricate.
The only prob with Kerosene is how the hell do you dispose of it afterwords?

With WD-40 I just spray it on a rag and scrub the chain that way, with Kerosene there is so much left over whatta ya do?

:)
Enlighten me oh Jim the great

RSVR4aCowboy
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 03:17 PM
BTW... I always warm the chain with a 30 minute ride before cleaning with the WD and again after cleaning before I "WAX" :lol: the chain. Seems the wax helps keep road crap outta the links. :scramble: Again the amount of motorcycle mechanics I know wouldn't fill this post!! :?

Anonymous
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 03:22 PM
The only prob with Kerosene is how the hell do you dispose of it afterwords?

Got a match? :twisted: :D yeah that part sucks, though if you have a small area around back you don't care about, just put it there and don't smoke next to it. There's probably a better way to dispose of it though other than environmental anarchy or a cement BBQ.

With WD-40 I just spray it on a rag and scrub the chain that way, with Kerosene there is so much left over whatta ya do?

One thing I haven't tried is putting kerosene on a rag and cleaning that way, I usually use a plastic brush and a coffee can. Though if you keep up with the cleaning the rag thing would probably work.

Since WD40 leaves a residue and displaces most everything else, if you clean with it then use chain wax I don't think the wax will get in where you need it as well, and certainly won't stick as well.

And you are right: I do not like WD40 on chains. Some people do, some don't. I've heard a lot of people say it will, over time, eat away at the O-rings; this is something I want to actually test. (ALONG THOSE LINES, if anyone has old chains they're not using anymore could I have them so I can try this? I want to soak various models of chains in WD40 for a while and carefully check over the rings to see what happens... also want to see what they do after air exposure and use of other things like kerosene and chain wax.)

So, like Jim I use kerosene to clean the chain and deal with the cleanup later.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys :D I've been using kerosene to clean the chain. It's messy and smelly and hell to dispose of afterwards, so it's good to know there's an alternative. Chain wax? I'll have to check that out...... :)

Polumbian
Wed Jun 18th, 2003, 05:11 PM
I've been talking to several people on the Ducait forums about this issue and have received almost the same responces. No matter what cleaner or lube you use a couple of things keep comming up in common. First, always warm up the chain with a short ride- min 5 minutes. Second, make sure you wipe it clean before the next ride or you will spend much time detailing. And third, many people suggest you clean/lube in the evening and then wipe the next morning before you ride to allow the lube to soak in over night.

Personally, I'm going with the WD40 routine for now. Definitely the 'easier' way to go. Besides, I plan on replacing my chain/sprockets sometime before next season. --Ralph, you can have my old chain/sprockets for experimentation. :D