PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do Vehicle Registration online?

McVaaahhh
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Curious if anybody does their vehicle registration online?

They want to charge me a $6 fee to renew the plates for my Tahoe online, which I think is a bit outrageous. I'd rather pay the $0.50 to send them a check in an envelope. I guess using their crazy government math it's cheaper to pay someone to open an envelope and process a check than it is to have a computer do the whole damn thing. :crazy:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Yes --- for the past two years. No problems whatsoevah :up:

I think it was only two dollahs tho when I last did it. Beats the lines. Sounds like a stamp an mail it to the county clerk is still cheaper.

salsashark
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
yeah... I renewed my truck online. The DMV in Saudi-Aurora sux and you're there for minimum of 2 hours if you get there any later than 8am. It was worth the 5 bucks to not have to deal with it.

TFOGGuys
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM
It's a percentage of the renewal cost. So, when you drive ancient crapmobiles like I do, it's almost as cheap as mailing, and a helluva lot more convenient. Hell, I can't remember the last time I wrote an actual check for anything. I pay everything with a debit card/online payment.

Keepitgreen
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
yeah... I renewed my truck online. The DMV in Saudi-Aurora sux and you're there for minimum of 2 hours if you get there any later than 8am. It was worth the 5 bucks to not have to deal with it.

What about the one up on Peoria? I have gone to that one before and it was never crowded.. Hell, I don't know...

McVaaahhh
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
$5 definitely beats the crap out of standing in line at the DMV. But dusting off the check-book and tossing a stamp on an envelope to save $5 sounds good to me.

I'm just more amazed at the cost. It should be the opposite right? It should cost more to pay some person to process the paper check rather than a computer to process the electronic payment.

salsashark
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
What about the one up on Peoria? I have gone to that one before and it was never crowded.. Hell, I don't know...

I've only ever dealt w/ the one on Alameda & Chamber since it's on my way to work... I don't know about the DMV over on Peoria.

$5 definitely beats the crap out of standing in line at the DMV. But dusting off the check-book and tossing a stamp on an envelope to save $5 sounds good to me.

I'm just more amazed at the cost. It should be the opposite right? It should cost more to pay some person to process the paper check rather than a computer to process the electronic payment.

It would take me hours to find a checkbook, then even more to find a stamp! :lol:

I agree, I was shocked when I found out what they charged, but I still paid it... next year, I'll send in the renewal via snail mail... I just ran out of time this year.

ChrisCBX
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Da gov'ment is desperate for every dime it can get. We may soon be paying an additional $16 per bike to supposedly help in repairing bridges and there is another $13 per bike for "road maintenance fee". Fees for larger vehicles of course are higher.

$29 dollars per bike is gonna hurt me.:shock:

asp_125
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hmm I need to pay more attention when I renew on line.

Gainer
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I totally agree!!!! I was going to renew my car on-line in September and I was amazed at the $5 fee. I am sticking with snail mail and a $0.42 stamp.

salsashark
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
My personal favorite. When I bought my truck, I couldn't use the plates from my Jeep... they tried to charge my 5 bucks because I didn't return my plates?! I went a few rounds with the DMV lady about unfairly adding fees and charges... asked to see a public notice... finally she waived the fee if I agreed to go home, get the plates, and bring them right back.... ooops I forgot.

TurboGizzmo
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM

I assume they have a 3rd party process the payment and whatnot online. I've been waiting till Loveland Utilities would let you pay online (the only bill i have to write a check for) but when they did there is some $3 or $6 dollar fee to do it :crazy:

Wyck
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Speaking of registration...I need to have a vin inspection done at the tow yard in Colorado Springs on my dad's 54 chrysler. Apparantly I need a LEO or someone with a dealer license to do it. The tow yard says they have a dealer that can come out and do it but don't know what they would charge. I will be down there on the 23rd for a dentist appointment and need to get this taken care of to get the title. Anyone know any LEO's or anyone with a dealer's license that can help me out for a nominal fee? I'd rather give someone here my business if possible. :)

McVaaahhh
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
PM DK, he's had inspections done before. He can probably point you in the right direction.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
For those Southies....The Motor Vehicle at Lincoln and Jordon ROCKS. I've never been there more than 10 minutes for anything. There is a Post office right next to it. But, by far the best experince I've had. I bought my Gixxer and my Denali this year...walked in and out in 5 minutes.

Ceez
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I bought my Gixxer and my Denali this year...

Baller.

FZRguy
Thu Jan 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Like Turbo said, the fee goes to a 3rd party that runs the site, not the gov. And the proposed fee increase is no fee! It's a tax that should go to a vote of the people.