Dysco
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 06:21 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~chppdlvvr/photos/scoot/studs.jpg

King Nothing
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Mike, you are special.

GixxerCarrie
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
:crazy:So what is it like riding with those...I think that would scare me...

Dysco
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It's like driving a car with studded tires. You have to brake a little earlier and turn a little slower. Otherwise it's just a bit noisy.

Oh, and you can turn, stop, and go on ice. :D

Dysco
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Mike, you are special.
Coming from you... :king:

Devaclis
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Mike, how much to do the tires on my Ruck?

Dysco
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mike, how much to do the tires on my Ruck?
Tires and tubes run about $90 +tax at Performance. I'll drill and stud them to your specs for $20/tire.

Help out an unemployed guy :D OR do them yourself for about 3 hours of your time plus $10/tire at a tire shop.

I've considered making a side business of studding tires but I'd have to generate a lot of interest to make it worthwhile. I do have access to a stud gun now which eliminates the biggest hurdle.

Devaclis
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Is that price for both tires and both tubes? I can mount the tires myself, I just need them studded :) I would gladly pay you for your time man.

arcatacat
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I am so not surprised.

:lol:

Dysco
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Is that price for both tires and both tubes? I can mount the tires myself, I just need them studded :) I would gladly pay you for your time man.
Both tires and both tubes: ~$90 +tax. IRC Trials 4.00/10" and TR-87 10" tubes. The mounting isn't bad except for the rear wheel nut- I used a 48" Thule load bar as a cheater and still struggled. 22mm 6-pt socket.

rforsythe
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Both tires and both tubes: ~$90 +tax. IRC Trials 4.00/10" and TR-87 10" tubes. The mounting isn't bad except for the rear wheel nut- I used a 48" Thule load bar as a cheater and still struggled. 22mm 6-pt socket.

Don't be strugglin' Mike! Use air tools. ;) Air impact makes quick work out of getting those things off. Borrow mine if you want.

Dysco
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Don't be strugglin' Mike! Use air tools. ;) Air impact makes quick work out of getting those things off. Borrow mine if you want.

Half the struggle was keeping the wheel from turning. I ended up using a cargo strap through the spokes. Thank doG I have that burly rack!

Air tools come when I get my own garage back... and maybe have a job ;)

Kole.S
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
What exactly is a stud gun? I was just going to use a drill and driver.. Im geting ready to stud my tires on my 636 to ride at gorgetown lake. Im going to order 1500 kold kutter screws. How much would you stud my tires for me? Are you pretty experienced with it??

Dysco
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
What exactly is a stud gun? I was just going to use a drill and driver.. Im geting ready to stud my tires on my 636 to ride at gorgetown lake. Im going to order 1500 kold kutter screws. How much would you stud my tires for me? Are you pretty experienced with it??
Kold Kutters are screws. Studs are studs like in a car tire. I've put >15k miles on the street with studded tires. I have no experience with screws, they aren't safe for the street (and they wear out fast on paved).

Kole.S
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I see. Never messed with it. Im just going to be on ice only.

FZRguy
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Thank you Dysco! We'll have sunny and 60 for weeks now.

Dysco
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Thank you Dysco! We'll have sunny and 60 for weeks now.
:banghead:
It always works like that. I remember taking a set of studs off in late April one year only to get caught in a snowstorm near Conifer.

You're welcome.

Dysco
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Bow chicka bow bow!!!

Dysco
Wed Jan 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~chppdlvvr/photos/scoot/1.26.ruck1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~chppdlvvr/photos/scoot/1.26.ruck4.jpg

FZRguy
Wed Jan 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I need studded MTB tires! I bailed on Mon/Tues, but today was not bad...'cept for that damn wind!

biship660
Thu Feb 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
no kidding i had no idea that they made stud for bikes. question do they make it for street biks as well i would love to get some

Dysco
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
no kidding i had no idea that they made stud for bikes. question do they make it for street biks as well i would love to get some

I am they. Want studded tires? You cannot buy them in the states without great difficulty. Somebody has to make them. There are many street tires that will take studs, but I don't necessarily recommend them for beginners. I have no idea what your skill level is, I'm just putting that out there.