PDA

View Full Version : No More Plating Dirt Bikes

FZRguy
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
License Plates for “Dirt Bikes” May be a Thing of the Past! (http://cohvco.org/?p=201)

COHVCO has received information indicating that some, and maybe all Colorado counties will no longer issue license plates for ”non-street legal” motorcycles, even when they have been modified by the previously acceptable addition of mirrors, a horn, brake light, and DOT approved tires.

It seems that the county clerk and recorder’s offices, particularly along the Front Range, have discovered that by issuing license plates to these types of motorcycles, they have been violating a federal law enacted in 2006 that addresses emission standards. Understandably, the counties do not want to continue violating federal law. Briefly, under a 2006 federal law, if a motorcycle has not been certified to meet the emission standard set out in the law, then it is not “street legal” and cannot be made “street legal” by the addition of mirrors, horns, brake lights, etc.

COHVOC will be looking closely at the situation to identify any possible option or alternative that might be available for those of us that are inclined to buy a “dirt bike” and then attempt to get a license plate for it. The potential for being able to do this in the future does not look good. It appears that Colorado is going the way many other states have for years, and not issuing license plates for “dirt bikes”.

asp_125
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
That's gonna suck, with so many fire roads literally within spitting distance of the front range, it means we'll have to trailer our bikes for a few miles rather than ride to the trailhead? So much for d/s & sumo conversions. I hope they will grandfather in bikes with existing plates.

Bueller
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
FUCK!

At least my KTM came "street legal".

GregsGSXR
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
2001 DRZ 400S....street legal..woo hoo..

Is there a grandfather clause if there have already been plates issued?

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thats a bummer for sure....

Bashed
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
FUCK!

At least my KTM came "street legal".

Your welcome!

Doing a little more research in this matter right now its just pretty much who you get and how much they know type thing.Also by the looks of it 2005 might be the majic year everything older than that might, i repeat might, be gandfathered in. aS usual YMMV
This is all Kalifornia's fault and needs to slither into the Pacific as soon as possible with the people responsible forthis kind of attitude to futher pevent families from getting out and learning the responsiblities of motorcycle ownwership. operation and commodery.
Peace Bash

dallas
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I am glad I have my plate already. If they want it back they can pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

teamhypoxia
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am glad I have my plate already. If they want it back they can pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

If plated dirt bikes are outlawed, only outlaws will have plated dirt bikes.

Anybody know when this is supposed to take effect?

FZRguy
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
COHVCO will have more details when available.

http://www.cohvco.org/

Bueller
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Your welcome!

Hoping they don't want to lift my title on the 300, but I was referring to my 525 that comes completely legal.

It does appear, whether by accident, or by design, that KTM has been ahead of the curve on this issue by producing a line of off-highway type motorcycles that have been manufactured to federal standards that allows those motorcycles to be classified as “street legal”, but continue to be pretty capable “dirt bikes”. Some of the Japanese manufacturers do produce “street legal” versions of their dirt bikes, but their models are generally more street oriented than dirt oriented when compared to the KTM models.

Buddau
Sun Jan 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
That sucks. Hopefully the police will be more leaniant when we are riding trail to trail and have to use a road to get some where.
Yea, right. This makes no sence why they would not grandfather this law in, if they gave you a plate, said you are legal, then how could they change their minds and say, "never mind, give us our plate back sorry for you."
If this is a federal law thing, I wonder how in Arizona they can get away with driving around in sand rails and 4 wheelers.
We need more info.

Mental
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I would also think that would end up with a nice class action suit if they didn't grandfather every dirtbike out there with plates. I paid taxes on that bike for your roads an now I can't use them?! Gimmie my money back.

Or just take the bike to anothet state, plate it there with your transferrable title, and then bring it back.

Bueller
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Probably wont happen right away, and they will most likely phase the total ban in slowly. I believe Calif now can revoke titles of previously registered vehicles,
I wont panic right away, but I would get anything you want plated done sooner than later. It will also drive up the saleability.

RyNo24
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Probably wont happen right away, and they will most likely phase the total ban in slowly. I believe Calif now can revoke titles of previously registered vehicles,
I wont panic right away, but I would get anything you want plated done sooner than later. It will also drive up the saleability.

I think you are correct, because they completely banned any type of two-stroke, and people had to go out and buy 4 strokes years back. I remember a lot of two-stroke boat motors were being sold here from Cali when that happened.

rforsythe
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM

How would it drive up saleability? Just because you have it plated means zero if the buyer can't do it too. Remember, your plate is your property and non-transferable.

Bueller
Fri May 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
How would it drive up saleability? Just because you have it plated means zero if the buyer can't do it too. Remember, your plate is your property and non-transferable.
You transfer the title not the plate. Unless they try to take away the title you would be ok.
It now looks like they have tightened up a bit. I hear that dealers can no longer do VIN verifications for plating off road vehicles and there is now an inspection required by a state trooper with a check list off required items. This totally sucks. Anyone got more info on this?

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed May 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM
It now looks like they have tightened up a bit. I hear that dealers can no longer do VIN verifications for plating off road vehicles and there is now an inspection required by a state trooper with a check list off required items. This totally sucks. Anyone got more info on this?

The only law enforcement officers who can complete a Certificate of Equipment Compliance (Form DR 2686) are those who are Certified VIN Inspectors (not the same as a VIN Inspector), and there are only a handful in the state. Wait time right now is about 2 weeks out. As far as I can tell, that is the only change in plating an off-road cycle.

THE3BS
Wed May 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
The only law enforcement officers who can complete a Certificate of Equipment Compliance (Form DR 2686) are those who are Certified VIN Inspectors (not the same as a VIN Inspector), and there are only a handful in the state. Wait time right now is about 2 weeks out. As far as I can tell, that is the only change in plating an off-road cycle.

I was told I can get a VIN check done at a licensed motor vehicle dealer. Is this not the case? My streetbike has a Washington title and I need to convert it over to Colorado. The DMV told me I need to get A VIN check and a licensed motor vehicle dealer can do that.

Bueller
Wed May 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I was told I can get a VIN check done at a licensed motor vehicle dealer. Is this not the case? My streetbike has a Washington title and I need to convert it over to Colorado. The DMV told me I need to get A VIN check and a licensed motor vehicle dealer can do that.
That is a titled bike so can do it. They can't do it for the purpose of titling an "off road" vehicle.

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
That is a titled bike so can do it. They can't do it for the purpose of titling an "off road" vehicle.

No, I just titled an OFF ROAD MOTORCYCLE using an OFF ROAD BILL OF SALE. No title prior to me getting it from the DMV, Certificate of Origin only.

Bueller
Thu May 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
That is why I would do it quick, before the system catches up.