PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding newb

Redflash3
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Well I've started snowboarding this season to spend time with my son, brother and his kids. First I must say it's beautiful up in the mountains (A-Basin) and the views are awesome. secondly, man it's painful learning to board. I've gone 5x now and I'm slowly improving but I feel I have a ways to go. My first time up I got a mild concussion, if I can just prevent from snaping my neck and head to the ground. I'm usually pretty sore after each outting. Nonetheless, I'm committed to learning the sport and continue going. When I do get it right it's great and my speed has improved. What's funny is I try to ride the lifts up by myself because I keep taking my family members out when we get off the lift.....once I actually jump off the lift seat at the point where you get off:) Who new people tailgate in the snow, which turns out to be a lot of fun....grilling, food and music. To you boarders out there....much respect.

chad23
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
keep it up you'll do good. Also I took a lesson and learned alot in a 1/2 day. OH so I dont forget falling ALWAYS hurts.

SamuraiX
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Way to go man!! Keep it up - it only gets less painful and ALOT more fun!!

Speedwagon
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well I've started snowboarding this season to spend time with my son, brother and his kids. First I must say it's beautiful up in the mountains (A-Basin) and the views are awesome. secondly, man it's painful learning to board. I've gone 5x now and I'm slowly improving but I feel I have a ways to go. My first time up I got a mild concussion, if I can just prevent from snaping my neck and head to the ground. I'm usually pretty sore after each outting. Nonetheless, I'm committed to learning the sport and continue going. When I do get it right it's great and my speed has improved. What's funny is I try to ride the lifts up by myself because I keep taking my family members out when we get off the lift.....once I actually jump off the lift seat at the point where you get off:) Who new people tailgate in the snow, which turns out to be a lot of fun....grilling, food and music. To you boarders out there....much respect.

It hurts less if you invest in a helmet. And they are quite comfy and warm, too. And the Keystone/Breck lifts move alot slower than the Abasin ones from what I've seen, and are much easier to get on/off of.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It hurts less if you invest in a helmet. And they are quite comfy and warm, too. And the Keystone/Breck lifts move alot slower than the Abasin ones from what I've seen, and are much easier to get on/off of.

Good advice. I would highly recommend a helmet for anyone snowbaording, especially for those of you just starting. I've brought my daughter up teaching her and I wouldn't think of her going without one. Maybe...it could have prevented that concussion.

Have a great time up there.

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I am learning too. I haven't whacked my head yet, but went ahead and got a helmet this past weekend. Got a helmet with music and it is better than having to screw with the ear inserts falling out, messing with my knit cap, etc, etc.

I have had a couple motorcycle related concussions, and they get easier to have each time. If I break a leg, I can still go to my job. If my memory goes to crap and I can't put my pants on by myself, I prolly won't be able to keep working. So the least i can do is try to keep myself safe. :)

Think
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I got a concussion on the ice once when I was boarding. Never again went boarding without a helmet. It just takes one nasty fall catching your edge and you're screwed. But glad to see you're out there learning.

Wyck
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM
+1000 on the helmet +100 on lessons

My first time up I hit pretty darn hard on ice. Was doing ok then out of nowhere BAM! I still have no idea what happened but I musta caught something. I rented a helmet last time and took the beginner lesson. Shoulda done that first.

InlineSIX24
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Wearing a helmet took some getting used to after years of not using one, but it nice to have the tunes built-in. I don't really notice it now.

Big-J
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Nothing like a good day on the slopes, boardng or skiing! I remember learning how to board, and the best advice I can give is keep your arms in if you fall, don't try and catch yourself. Its hard to do, but your wrists will thank you!

and since we are posting pics, here are a couple from Vail. :rock:

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
the best advice I can give is keep your arms in if you fall, don't try and catch yourself. Its hard to do, but your wrists will thank you!

Good call. I went ahead and got wrist guards before I ever went out since I've sprained both wrists in the past. Look like a old man with all my safety equipment. Just have to learn to not put the arms out.

Sully
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Definitely get 1.) lessons 2.) helmet 3.) wristguards

Try Breck, imo it's easier for n00bies :D

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
+1 on both helmet & wrist guards!

I've got my old skateboarding helmet & it does fine. Wear a helmet for no other reason that all it takes is someone taking you out and you're done. No matter how good you are, there's always gonna be someone who's just got your number.

Keep stick'n with the board man! Skiing is easy to learn, hard to get good at. Boarding is hard to learn, but easier to get good at. It's gonna be tough going right up until you learn how to link your turns & trade edges. After that it's smooth sailing!

Kappa03
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've been up a few times, no pass this year but I usually hit up the $10.67 Humpdays that KBPI does on the first Wednesday of the month. Or I usually head to Sol Vista passed Winter Park, I have a buddy that works there who hooks me up. Sol Vista is a smaller resort with only 2 main lifts but the runs and snow are still good. My fav is def Breck though.

Sully
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Loveland also has $10 ish ski/ride deals.. I think Feb. 12th is their next one?

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Try Breck, imo it's easier for n00bies :D

Oh jesus, that is easy?

Sully
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
:yes:... The runs are much wider and not very steep... give Keystone's Schoolmarm Run a try and tell me how you like that...:turtle: (it sucks and is a clusterf*ck)

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
^^ then again, so is an entire slopefull of idiots trying to negotiate the beginnings of a mogul field but stopping just below the lip...

Sully
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Well, I could suggest the mogul field, it's like IMI on your bike - it teaches you to turn at a faster than snail pace! :lol: :bigeyes:

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
It wasn't the moguls, it was the idiots who were stopped just below the lip so you couldn't see 'em 'cause they were afraid of the moguls

Matty
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
snowboarding sux... skurfing is where it's at!!!

Just got home from Keystone... Such a nice and warm day.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well I've started snowboarding this season ..... My first time up I got a mild concussion,....

A couple more concussions and you'll fit in perfectly with the rest of the brain damaged boarders out there.
(Runs and hides.)

... What's funny is I try to ride the lifts up by myself because I keep taking my family members out when we get off .....

You need to go with Chris (MetaLord9), he's the king of taking an entire lift of friends out while exiting.
(He's like Zoolander....except instead of left, he can't go to his right.)

Seriously though, I think Chris is right about the learning curve.
Boarders fall all over the hill while learning and by the end of the season are turning tricks in the terrain park.
Skiers snowplow down the hill for a season and then take 5 more to become intermediates.
So stick with it and have fun.

firefghtr
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
just go really really fast straight down hill without break chekin or having anyconcern for others,........what : ) its what skiiers doo

Sean
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:25 AM
<- Jealousy

I wanna be a snowboard newb! Hopefully next year I'll pick up some used gear and try not to break anything. Sounds like you're doing great Redflash3, keep it up! :up:

Matty
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
<- Jealousy

I wanna be a snowboard newb! Hopefully next year I'll pick up some used gear and try not to break anything. Sounds like you're doing great Redflash3, keep it up! :up:
i've got plenty for sale....

Sean
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
i've got plenty for sale....
Thanks for the offer Matty, but I'm trying to be a ski newb this year. I've decided to limit myself to one form of potential bodily injury sports per season. I'll have to wait till next year to buy any gear and I'll be sure to check with you then. Still, it looks like a freakin blast!

SaShWhO
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
<- Jealousy

you can have my snowboard and boots if they fit you cauze I'll never try that shit again.

Sean
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
you can have my snowboard and boots if they fit you cauze I'll never try that shit again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Step into my office, sir. Let me pour you a drink. Is snowboarding that bad? Or are you upset because they don't make Repsol boards?

btw: I've got some DVD's with your name on them.

Matty
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Step into my office, sir. Let me pour you a drink. Is snowboarding that bad? Or are you upset because they don't make Repsol boards?

Sash is old... plain and simple.

Sully
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah but I heard Sash can party like a MoFo in Condo de Blaze :drink::siesta::shocked:

Sean
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sash is old... plain and simple.
shhhhhhhh, You want to give elderly people hope, towards the end :up:

SaShWhO
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM

Repsol or nothing!

awesome!!!!

Yeah but I heard Sash can party like a MoFo in Condo de Blaze :drink::siesta::shocked:
love you Sully

shhhhhhhh, You want to give elderly people hope, towards the end :up:
:doublefinger:

and Matty:321:you too

Sully
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Plus, Sash looks damn good for supposedly being "elderly"... I think his kids keep him young !

Big-J
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Sully wants Sasha's junk! :hump:

Sully
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
:slap: nah, just givin' him props foo !

Big-J
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
:slap: nah, just givin' him props foo !

Show him your :boobies: