PDA

View Full Version : A positive moment in history

mtnairlover
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Say what you want to say, but too few voices/posters on this forum have actually recognized the moment in history that we are all about to witness as a positive moment...a dream realized in our lifetimes.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

A personal story to add and it doesn't even come close to the suffering of so many for hundreds of years, but here goes anyway...When I was a teen, I dated an African American who was kind, thoughtful, poetic, a romantic, smart (and in my eyes, drop-dead gorgeous). The stares we got, the whispered words as we walked by...none of that hurt as much as his brother's complete hatred toward me and the fact that I was/am German. Pretty freakin ironic, huh?

And for the political posts that are bound to happen...I'm not up to it in this thread, to be honest. I just wanted to recognize the amazing thing that is about to happen. Unless you've lived it maybe it just doesn't mean as much, but it does to me.

A few other things I watched tonight that brought forward a flood of emotion are linked below:

Interview with Congressman Lewis - the long version of what I watched on the news.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28738659

Pilgrimage to the White House - watch the whole thing and watch the 100-year-old man at the end.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28739215

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
History books are being augmented as we type .....

I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. ~Muhammad Ali

spudwrench
Mon Jan 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Say what you want to say, but too few voices/posters on this forum have actually recognized the moment in history that we are all about to witness as a positive moment...a dream realized in our lifetimes.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

A personal story to add and it doesn't even come close to the suffering of so many for hundreds of years, but here goes anyway...When I was a teen, I dated an African American who was kind, thoughtful, poetic, a romantic, smart (and in my eyes, drop-dead gorgeous). The stares we got, the whispered words as we walked by...none of that hurt as much as his brother's complete hatred toward me and the fact that I was/am German. Pretty freakin ironic, huh?

And for the political posts that are bound to happen...I'm not up to it in this thread, to be honest. I just wanted to recognize the amazing thing that is about to happen. Unless you've lived it maybe it just doesn't mean as much, but it does to me.

A few other things I watched tonight that brought forward a flood of emotion are linked below:

Interview with Congressman Lewis - the long version of what I watched on the news.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28738659

Pilgrimage to the White House - watch the whole thing and watch the 100-year-old man at the end.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28739215

Thanks for sharing your story. Very brave and sincere.

This week is an historic week. The beginning of fixing our counry and fixing the world after being destroyed in the name of greed and big oil. I guess everyone forgets what it was like paying almost $5 a gallon for gas.

now its time to heal and rebuild the nation and the world.

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Good post Cathy.

The detractors are realizing that their time has passed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Shea
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Very ironic that today's inauguration is the complete opposite of that statement.

Who is more racist? Those who voted for Sen. Obama because he is black, to right "centuries" of perceived injustice and to make it clear that they are not racists? Or the people that voted against him because they don't believe in his policies and could care less about the color of his skin.

Perhaps it is an aspect of age, but I don't fall into the trap of assumption of guilt/responsibility for slavery/segregation/racism. Why am I responsible for other peoples hate and intolerance? Why do I need to feel guilty and vote for this guy when I don't believe in any of his stated positions?

Have your (in my opinion minor) historic day. Assuage your guilt and tell yourself that you are a better person now, the "original sin" of America has been cleansed. Tomorrow will be another day and the problems that face this country will loom large. And, imo, BO hasn't got a clue how to fix them. That's what really counts, not the color of his skin.

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I want to know why you feel so very negatively about his appointment. You haven't said anything in any place that I've read on this forum that actually points to any of BO's decisions, appointments of cabinet members, his plans (which have to run the mill of being voted for or against after being rewritten over and over by other law makers), the idea that he recognizes that this country is built on the will of the people and not one man alone...

Have you even taken the time to listen...to actually listen to what his true message is?

Throw away the pomp and circumstance because I could care less about the hollywood atmosphere. But, maybe it's a way for others to recognize that maybe this guy's message is a good message and something that only people who actually take action will realize. You can't just sit and listen and say "Hey, now ain't that a good idea." and actually have things happen. He's right ya know. He's telling everyone to stand up and be counted...talk...tell him what your concerns are...take action...be involved.

How is that wrong? How is that anti-whatever? Isn't that the way our country was formed?

Lastly...my post is not a "guilt" post. It isn't even me saying that I've lived longer, either. I know discrimination continues to this day and discrimination comes in all forms, not just against color of skin. I'm looking at those words solely on what they say. And what they say is it's about damn time that someone was given a chance based on his character and not for any other reason...not money, not name, not supposed service to this country, and whatever else the going popular belief might be, but character. That's what MLK wanted to see and that's what I see.

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm almost feeling guilty at the gradual pleasure I've been taking in the downward spirals of several of our "contributors", and how this election has kicked them into high gear. :lol:

Is there anybody here who did not voted for Obama, but is still reasonably pleased (if not at least okay) with the way their life is progressing?

Is there anybody left who supported McCain, but did not boo and hiss, as he graciously offered his concession? And are there any of you out there, that took to heart the support he offered to Barack Obama and his pending leadership of this country, despite having just been defeated? Anybody??

Damn Shea... I don't know whether to offer you encouragement anymore, or just watch your ship sink, and think "better him than me".

Dude... You haven't even let the man serve his first day on the job yet! But yet you try to wax poetic about things like not falling prey to past-generations guilt and this dark cloud of the country's problems that (seemingly) hovers directly over your head. (?)

Race-issues aside, let's talk about not giving somebody a fair shake!

I mean seriously.... Give the guy a couple week to figure out the copier, and find out where the vending machines are, before you admonish a job that he hasn't even had the opportunity to do yet! You're making yourself out to be not only a sinking ship, but a deserved one!

spudwrench
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Its OK for republicans to rant, rave and HATE. But if you call them out on it, like I have, they attack you in droves, still under the delusion of power they once had and threw away under the horrible direction of bush and the ultra right wingers and evangelicals.

I called them out, I spoke the complete truth and none of the Parrot Republican Lies, their head collectively exploded! BOOM! splat!! Brain matter everywhere, or lack thereof.

wah wah wah. Cry baby cry. You cannot admit defeat, you cannot acknowledge the FAILURE of your party. How can you regroup with new strategies of success when you cannot admit to or identify the failures of your party and how it wronged the nation and the world.

Did you guy win in th elections? No.

Be fortunate that the last few seats you were able to hold on to in order to hold Filibusters. When the next elections roll around, you won't be able to hold on to those seats.

I am sure Karl Rove antics will no longer be welcomed. People are tired of LIES AND DECEIT.

Bush has the lowest approval rating of any president in history, there is a reason for that, its called FAILURE.

The evidence is there, Bush Election Fraud, Bush knowingly used bad intelligence. Its all there. Yet he keeps telling the same lies and tries to blame the CIA.

The WAR on the middleclass began when bush took office.

Ask yourself, Are you better off now when bush was president?

or were you better off when Clinton was president?

No question about it, under Clinton the ecnonomy was strong, there was NO debt.

Bush ignored Clintons warning about bin laden. Proof is there.

So get over the failure of the republican party, and think about SMARTER politics. Yours failed.

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Bush Sr. is not looking very good :(

You can even feel the excitement over a streaming internet feed. It certainly does feel like a historic event. Kinda goosebumpy :)

Whether you chose him or not, it is a once in a lifetime event. It would suck to miss it just because of a staunch political affiliation.

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
If you feel that Obama will not lie to you, then you are delusional.

Republicans LIE
Democrats LIE

They are ALL full of shit and would pitch you under the bus in the blink of an eye.

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Wow, did you see the size of that soldier when Carted exited to be seated? That dude is 7 feet tall!!!

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Lol, Bush Sr. tapping that same soldier as he walked by :)

Are you enjoying my up to the minute commentary?

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Lol, Bush Sr. tapping that same soldier as he walked by :)

Are you enjoying my up to the minute commentary?

Tapping a soldier? Don't ask don't tell :slappers:

Shea
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I want to know why you feel so very negatively about his appointment. You haven't said anything in any place that I've read on this forum that actually points to any of BO's decisions, appointments of cabinet members, his plans (which have to run the mill of being voted for or against after being rewritten over and over by other law makers), the idea that he recognizes that this country is built on the will of the people and not one man alone...

Have you even taken the time to listen...to actually listen to what his true message is?

Cathy, yes I have and I disagree with not only his policies but his "vision" and message. Perhaps you hear a different message then me. Perhaps you are swayed by the "historical" atmosphere that his election has caused. I, however, am not.

I hear the typical democratic mantra that the poor in this country are shit on by the rich, people are hungry and it's my fault, corporations are evil and swindling me, paying higher taxes is patriotic and it is wrong to be successful. That government is the alpha and the omega, that I can't live without government providing me with healthcare, education and protection. That to disagree with any of Obama's policies makes me a racist or filled with anger.

I hear that spending money we don't have is a good thing. More deficit spending, higher taxes and more social programs that strip people of their dignity and power.

But all you, spudwrench and Barn can do is call me angry because I don't give a rat's ass that the man is black.

So yeah I hear his message of "hope" and "change" and cringe. For all it means is more of the same.

Lastly...my post is not a "guilt" post. It isn't even me saying that I've lived longer, either. I know discrimination continues to this day and discrimination comes in all forms, not just against color of skin. I'm looking at those words solely on what they say. And what they say is it's about damn time that someone was given a chance based on his character and not for any other reason...not money, not name, not supposed service to this country, and whatever else the going popular belief might be, but character. That's what MLK wanted to see and that's what I see.

Guess we will see it differently.

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Its OK for republicans to rant, rave and HATE.

And the Dems were so kind and loving to Bush? :) They dished the shit for 8 years and now the Reps get their turn. Politics as usual.

Steve's right. If you put your faith in politicians, you're bound to be disappointed. When you have two parties that thrive on bigger government, the best thing you can have is balance. When either group gets the upper hand, that's when we need to be worried. And I am worried.

Dirk

SamuraiX
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Guilt??? LOL! :crazy: GUILT is the way that right-winger bitches get dates!
(I know) NOT how or why this election was won!

U must have quit paying attention at the end there. Dont blame ya'!
(L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E VICTORY!)

If theres ANY guilt being felt by the 'white' folks that voted for him, it was guilt for supporting
and even fighting in a VERY expensive and unwarranted war in the WRONG damn country!

Killing, maiming and orphaning hundreds of innocent children in a country that didn't have a single 9/11 hijacker
- that's worth feeling some guilt over -ya' numb icey biotch.

Shea
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm almost feeling guilty at the gradual pleasure I've been taking in the downward spirals of several of our "contributors", and how this election has kicked them into high gear. :lol:

Is there anybody here who did not voted for Obama, but is still reasonably pleased (if not at least okay) with the way their life is progressing?

Is there anybody left who supported McCain, but did not boo and hiss, as he graciously offered his concession? And are there any of you out there, that took to heart the support he offered to Barack Obama and his pending leadership of this country, despite having just been defeated? Anybody??

Damn Shea... I don't know whether to offer you encouragement anymore, or just watch your ship sink, and think "better him than me".

Dude... You haven't even let the man serve his first day on the job yet! But yet you try to wax poetic about things like not falling prey to past-generations guilt and this dark cloud of the country's problems that (seemingly) hovers directly over your head. (?)

Race-issues aside, let's talk about not giving somebody a fair shake!

I mean seriously.... Give the guy a couple week to figure out the copier, and find out where the vending machines are, before you admonish a job that he hasn't even had the opportunity to do yet! You're making yourself out to be not only a sinking ship, but a deserved one!

Barn apparently you are not reading my posts. How can I admonish a man for a job that he hasn't even started? I admonish him on how he got elected and the policies that he wants to implement. Now where on your side has anyone come out to defend what he wants to do in any sort of logical reasoned manner. Rather I get "it's historical", "you're a nazi" or "give the man a chance".

You want to debate policy, pick one and let's go. This is, always was, and always will be about policy and stated objectives. Nothing more.

I didn't boo or hiss when McCain gave in. He ran a very poor campaign and got his ass handed to him. It's how the game is played. But let's look at those misinformed fools still bitching about 2000. Where was your pontificating then Barn? Did you say the same about Bush?

But then again, all you can do is shake your head at me, claim the high ground and not say anything of substance.

Shea
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Guilt??? LOL! :crazy: GUILT is the way that right-winger bitches get dates!
(I know) NOT how or why this election was won!

Really? Care to site a source?

Killing, maiming and orphaning hundreds of innocent children in a country that didn't have a single 9/11 hijacker
- that's worth feeling some guilt over -ya' numb icey biotch.

Any Iraq/Afgan veterans want to chime in with how many innocent children they killed, maimed or orphaned? Since all of us are just out there slaughtering innocents...

Numb icey biotch? Nice...

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
But all you, spudwrench and Barn can do is call me angry because I don't give a rat's ass that the man is black.

Calm down Shea. I'm not beating you up, or trying to make you feel guilty and I never said you were angry until now.

Take a different look at this. I think maybe you are reeling from all the other negativity that's going on in the forums.

I refuse to back down from my positive outlook at this historical event.

I'm sorry if you only see the same old rhetoric. I'm trying to see it from your standpoint and I just don't think I see it. Do you think that maybe it's more the fact that you just don't like Democratic policy in general that is making you feel this way? Do you think that because of your beliefs against this policy that you will not see anything positive in this appointment?

What positives do I see?

People who believe in the message will take action in their communities.
People who realize that strength of character is more important than being surrounded by "yes" men will make decisions based on what is good for the community, not on what is good for them.
Communities will realize there is strength in diverse ideas and will learn how to work with those ideas, rather than throw them out.
People will come to understand how to work with even their strongest detractors.

...and much more.

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
But then again, all you can do is shake your head at me, claim the high ground and not say anything of substance.

Well that, and rejoice in the fact that I'm not viewed as the biggest Debbie Downer this side of Continental Divide, by nearly every one that has encountered me. :lol:

Now where on your side has anyone come out to defend what he wants to do in any sort of logical reasoned manner. Rather I get "it's historical", "you're a nazi" or "give the man a chance".

Please... we've talked policy till we're blue in the face. Being a black man did not win this race for Obama, there have been black candidates before.

It *is* his policy that won him this race, combined with a pretty well disgusted public, of the exiting administration. A public that has probably transitioned to one that is now more thoughtful, in the process.

What do you want me/us to say for the upteenth time?
- That I support alternative fuels and fiscal investment into them?
- That I oppose offshore drilling for a finite, (if not miniscule amount) of oil.
- That I want to end the war in Iraq and bring home the soldiers, not on a timeline, but now.
- That we need to better the economy, and infuse life into our consumer confidence.
- That the middle class (foundation) of our country needs to get a tax break.

You say that "my side" can't talk logically about policy or platform, but I think when it comes down to brass tax, "my side" said just about all it needed to, when "my candidate's" supporters (made up of all races), put him into office by a resounding margin. And further more, when HIS OWN OPPONENT offered not only congratulations, but his support.

What's done is done my friend, and I support Barack Obama on not only the policies that I've mentioned above, but also because of a number of other reasons and perhaps even intangibles, about the man. He may prove my faith in him, or he may prove me 180 degrees wrong, but don't think for a second that I can't articulate WHY he our newest president, based on.... as you put it.... logic and reason.

I mean who do you think you're dealing with? One of those clowns that says a man hates America because one of his suits doesn't have a lapel pin of the flag? :roll:

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
when it comes down to brass tax

There's a Freudian slip. :)

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
U must have quit paying attention at the end there. Dont blame ya'!
(L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E VICTORY!)
3% of the popular vote is far less than a landslide, and showss how outdated the electoral college is. Sorry, try again.

Shea
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Well that, and rejoice in the fact that I'm not viewed as the biggest Debbie Downer this side of Continental Divide, by nearly every one that has encountered me. :lol:

Wow, ok then. Guess I will bid you all adieu.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Here, I'll say it: much as I'm disappointed that so many people, even people I highly respect, were sucked into the demi-god/rockstar hoopla and blindly voted for him BECAUSE he's black instead of IN SPITE OF the fact that he's black, I honestly hope for OUR sake, that he can actually accomplish something good here. If he truly does, I'll even vote FOR him next time. There, how's that for positive? Really, I mean it.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
..Who is more racist? Those who voted for Sen. Obama because he is black, .... Or the people that voted against him because they don't believe in his policies and could care less about the color of his skin..

I personally couldn't care less what his color is,
and I don't believe that the majority of people who voted either way did it along racial lines.

Where there blacks that voted for Obama because he is black? Yes.
Where there whites that voted against Obama because he is black? Yes.
Did either of these groups have any real effect on the outcome? No.
As for people voting for him out of white guilt, I doubt all 10 of those people swung the election.

As for the idiots that keep making thinly veiled, impotent, death threats here and elsewhere:
(And no, I don't believe Shea is in this group.)
I hated Bush, but I never advocated his assassination.
Those that feel the democratic process can be circumvented by assassination are traitors not only in legal definition
but more importantly are traitors by the deepest moral definition of what it is to be an American.
I invite any of them to come to my home and try to kill me for exercising my rights to vote Obama into office.
Just PM me and I'll happily give you my address you gutless fucktards.

I don't think that Shea, Dirk, Steve, Frank, and others on here are so much anti-Obama as they are anti-politics-as-usual.
They really didn't have a candidate that truly represented them.
(Or at least not one that could overcome the political machines of the big two parties.)
I would have loved it if Bush hadn't had some of the problems to deal with that he did, or if he could have solved every one of them.
But there are a few people on here that I honestly think would be disapointed to see Obama succeeds.

Republicans LIE
Democrats LIE

I'm not as much of a cynic as Steve, but yeah, they do.
But remember, as a citizen our duty doesn't stop at voting.
We must also be vigilant and hold our politicians feet to the fire.
It's up to us to keep them honest. (Or at least call bullshit when they're not.)

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't think that Shea, Dirk, Steve, Frank, and others on here are so much anti-Obama as they are anti-politics-as-usual.
They really didn't have a candidate that truly represented them.
(Or at least not one that could overcome the political machines of the big two parties.)
I would have loved it if Bush hadn't had some of the problems to deal with that he did, or if he could have solved every one of them.
But there are a few people on here that I honestly think would be disapointed to see Obama succeeds.

I'm not as much of a cynic as Steve, but yeah, they do.
But remember, as a citizen our duty doesn't stop at voting.
We must also be vigilant and hold our politicians feet to the fire.
It's up to us to keep them honest. (Or at least call bullshit when they're not.)

I do not trust our government. Cynical.mmmm no..I see it as Proactive

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
<snip>were sucked into the demi-god/rockstar hoopla and blindly voted for him BECAUSE he's black instead of IN SPITE OF the fact that he's black, <snip>

Sorry Frank, but you have no idea who I really am or what I'm all about. I take exception of your labeling of being 'sucked in' and 'blindly voted for him .....'. Without rehashing the obvious it basically boiled down to the lesser of two evils and how their value set reflects on my personal beliefs. The color of his skin had nothing, and I repeat -- NOTHING do do with why i voted for the guy. The 'R' crowd currently doesn't even come close to my value set and it seems to have been the same for many others.

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Wow, ok then. Guess I will bid you all adieu.

Well that's a little rash. I mean if I packed-up every time somebody told me I was talking out of my ass, I'd have more moves on my record than Chadwick.

I'm just saying, it's hard to hear that I'm not talking with substance, w/out taking it a little personal. And I'm certain that not everybody thinks you're a downer. At least outside of social-political musings.

These threads sure do bring me down though. Especially in light of what Cathy was really hoping to bring out of it. We fuckin' stomp on every little thing, and it drives me nuts. You stomped on her little slice of "feel good", and it bothered me. If you wanted to pile on, there's that other thread about blazing saddles.

(And who knows, maybe you have. After first glance, I haven't been back to it.)

Carry on.

Sadly, it would seem so.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
...I refuse to back down from my positive outlook at this historical event.....

You're so sweet Cathy, I bet the American Dental Association hates you.
Way to stay idealistic in a cynical world. That takes a strength all it's own.:)

I do not trust our government. Cynical.mmmm no..I see it as Proactive

You're an acne medication used by Puff Daddy and Jessica Simpson?:think:

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Drama queens

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Way to stay idealistic in a cynical world. That takes a strength all it's own.:)

Yeah...and what has made this country and what has formed this country, as well as kept it strong, is just that...ideals.:)

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM

You're an acne medication used by Puff Daddy and Jessica Simpson?:think:

ha ha ha .... NO

I got there medication right here
http://www.dreamstime.com/9mm-bullet-thumb3820854.jpg

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Drama queens

:spit: Ha, that's funny. You're probably right!

But then again we don't play it off that we're just stirring the pot, either! We actually embrace our brand of theater. ;)

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
ha ha ha .... NO

I got there medication right here
http://www.dreamstime.com/9mm-bullet-thumb3820854.jpg
The hypno-bullet?

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:16 AM
It amazes me how many people were on the phone and testing during this entire event.

McCains wife was texting the entire time. She is STILL texting as they are preparing for the luncheon. WTF. Can't you just be in the moment?

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
... We actually embrace our brand of theater. ;)

Would that be Kabuki theater?
('Cause that would be so cool.)
http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/scripts_php/img_copyright.php?photoID=00190&size=BIG

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Right you are, Ken!

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
...McCains wife was texting the entire time. .... WTF. Can't you just be in the moment?

She was busy leveling up her Senatorial Dwarf.

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
She would be a Night Elf Healer, like a Priest. She is too foxy to be a Dwarf.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
She would be a Night Elf Healer, like a Priest. She is too foxy to be a Dwarf.

And her husband would be?
(Quick! Somebody get Dana a ladder.)

Snowman
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Well that's a little rash. I mean if I packed-up every time somebody told me I was talking out of my ass, I'd have more moves on my record than Chadwick.
And you wouldn’t be the accepted post leader (by 2) at this moment if you did.
:)

~Barn~
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ha! Nice catch Randall.

It's kinda fitting that it's Inauguration Day!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:40 AM
~Barn~ the leader of the free post count world!

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
It amazes me how many people were on the phone and testing during this entire event.

McCains wife was texting the entire time. She is STILL texting as they are preparing for the luncheon. WTF. Can't you just be in the moment?

She had better things to do than pay attention to the endless Blaa Blaa Blaa crap

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
She was texting me :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry Frank, but you have no idea who I really am or what I'm all about. I take exception of your labeling of being 'sucked in' and 'blindly voted for him .....'. Without rehashing the obvious it basically boiled down to the lesser of two evils and how their value set reflects on my personal beliefs. The color of his skin had nothing, and I repeat -- NOTHING do do with why i voted for the guy. The 'R' crowd currently doesn't even come close to my value set and it seems to have been the same for many others.
Actually bro, I think I do. I know you and a few others I know and also highly respect DID carefully pick the guy based on your beliefs and that's the great thing about America......but I also saw a shitload (majority) of other people who DID get sucked into the hoopla. If you look at the black vote it's obvious that to most of them it WAS the color of his skin that determined their vote. The scariest thing I saw was the fervor and the hysteria surrounding this campaign like no other I've ever witnessed. When I see people that gung-ho, it reminds me of people blindly following other notable leaders in history....like Jim Jones, or Hitler. Not that I truly believe he's of that particular caliber, but it remains scary that people get that adamant. The hysteria is exactly the same, only the words are different. I wouldn't have voted for McCain if I thought there was a better candidate, Dem OR Repub. But I'll be damned if I will get all hysterical over ANY candidate. That to me smacks of lemmings going over the cliff.

S'ok bro, I still love ya man......and you're invited to come over Steve's and watch Blazing Saddles with us tonight if ya like!:)

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
She was texting me :)

Shit ..she was sending me porn

Flip
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Common fellas- I dont know any of you on here- But I see a group of people who are friends- sharing (controversial ) opinions in a place you all feel basically safe to do so.
And it is pretty predictable who will say what- and how you will respond.

So it seems to me that all is good at the end of the thread because you all say what you want, it is accepted for the most part, and you get forgiven for it, by your friends.

Just dont piss off Ralph or Bob...

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Fuck Ralph and Bob.

No, really. those guys NEED to get laid.

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah but they gotta pay

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Common fellas- I dont know any of you on here- But I see a group of people who are friends- sharing (controversial ) opinions in a place you all feel basically safe to do so.
And it is pretty predictable who will say what- and how you will respond.

So it seems to me that all is good at the end of the thread because you all say what you want, it is accepted for the most part, and you get forgiven for it, by your friends.

Just dont piss off Ralph or Bob...

BURN FLIP ----- IT'S A WITCH! :scream1:

dapper
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
The hysteria is exactly the same, only the words are different.
I do not know if this is true or not, but it sounds accurate.
We can only change the direction of the river 1 degree at a time.

Bush gave the 'with me or against me' song & that's unloving.
Obama gave a friendly speech & wanted the people to let him know if the gvt is working or not.

Yes, If it is working and it will blah blah blah.
No, If it is not working the way we want it.

No is thy answer. Smaller gvt is "the change we need". :D

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
*sigh*

Thanks for moving focus away from the positive moment. So, here's my shot at trying to refocus...

Like my personal story indicates (or maybe not as the case may be), I didn't see color when I met my b/f. I saw the person he was...compassionate, kind, loving, respectful...all those qualities and more are what drew me to him...as what drew him to me. That's what the majority of Americans voted on...character...and what he could bring to an ailing government overrun with arrogance and lack of integrity.

Flip
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
OK Ninja- Meet me behind the bleachers and bring your nunchukas buddy!

Here I thought I was being nice... Very difficult for a bitch, Er,witch.

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
dapper

we can forget about "smaller" government

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
*sigh*
Thanks for moving focus away from the positive moment....

You know since this is your thread you're allowed to bitch slap anyone jacking it, right?
(Though that would also tend to defeat the spirit of it I guess.)

I didn't sign on for the "cult of personality" Obama.
And you can all call me naive, but I did sign on for a candidate that seems to have the sincerity, drive, and idealism that this country hasn't seen since JFK.

So +1 Cathy,
This "event" is history regardless of color, age, or back ground.
But due to his color, age, and background, this "man" has also made history.
And only time will tell to what extent the hype plus the hope will equal the history.

dapper
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hype plus the hope equals 'Disaster Preparedness for Dummies' :lol:

SaShWhO
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM

+2.5
nuff said.
may our gods help us all.
shit I said the g word
hope this does not start another controversial thread.

I'm out

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM

And negativism plus whining equals defeatist roadblock.
(You guys can start duct taping your basements for protection.)

Those who legitimately oppose Obama's policies and have pledged to fight within the system to block or change them serve a vital role.

Those who are so sure Obama is going to cause WWIII, the Rapture, and Armageddon within his first 90 days are delusional and should
swallowed their suicide pills right now.

Those who just want to back-bite and bitch about the work being done by others should have the courtesy to at least
get the fuck out of the way.

There's serious work and sacrifice required to fix our problems.
Old hackneyed phrase, but if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
And negativism plus whining equals defeatist roadblock.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

Dirk

McVaaahhh
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I think this poll on 9news shows the more important part. I believe that if the majority of people believe that things will get better, than they will. If everyone believe things will go to shit than they will as well.

VERY SMALL sampling, but if the majority of people have some optimism, then maybe they'll start spending some money and investing some money and help this economy turn around.

All these people that are so convinced that things will go to shit are just pessimists. Whether you voted for Obama or not, isn't it appropriate to at least give the guy a chance before you convince yourself that he's the problem.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
LOL,
Did 197 people actually vote "I am indifferent"?
I mean, if they're voting, doesn't that kinda mean they're not indifferent.

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Oh, you're gonna love this...

On a search to find a poem or an "ode to negativity", I came upon the opposite. My reasoning for the negativity poem was to mock the prevailing tone in this thread. Instead, I found this website (We're Only Human (http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2008/12/ode-to-joy-and-serenity-and-curiosity.cfm)) and you can read it for yourself, but I wanted to share that which I've known to be true all along...

Positive emotions are life savers. That is Fredrickson’s answer to a question that has perplexed psychologists for years: What are positive emotions for? The survival value of negative emotions is obvious: Fear helps us avoid attackers, and disgust alerts us to poisons, and so forth. But what possible good are joy, contentment, gratitude, and curiosity? Fredrickson believes that these emotions increase cognitive flexibility, trump harmful negativity, and create a reservoir of resilience that helps us cope with life’s travails. She pulls together some of her most provocative and convincing studies in a new book, Positivity (Crown Publishers).

Consider this deceptively simple experiment. Fredrickson used lab techniques to “prime” the emotions of a large group of volunteers. Some were primed for amusement, some for serenity, still others for anger or fear or nothing at all. Then she asked them simply to make a list of things they would like to do at that moment. Those who were amused or serene listed significantly more possibilities than the others, suggesting that their minds were more open to ideas, more exploratory. She ran a similar experiment with abstract shapes, and found that the positive thinkers were more apt to see hidden patterns, to make connections. Those who were angry or fearful were too narrowly focused on details to see the big picture.

...um...duh!...

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM

+2.5
nuff said.
I'm out.

What a couple of:
http://49ersnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/mmp.png

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

Dirk

YOU DID NOT JUST QUOTE RUSH AT ME!
(You can't triple Rush a double Rush.)

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
YOU DID NOT JUST QUOTE RUSH AT ME!
(You can't triple Rush a double Rush.)

Actually, I wasn't thinking of that song but I'll take any chance to annoy Dana with Rush. :)

Yes, it is most amusing to watch from the outside as supporters of the Democrats cry foul about negativity and wanting everyone to give Obama a chance. Pot, meet kettle. That, unfortunately, is the hypocritical nature of American politics.

Dirk

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I am and will remain optimistic.
But I will be watching this
Dow Jones Industrial Average (http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=$INDU) 7,949.09
-332.13 -4.01%

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, it is most amusing to watch from the outside as supporters of the Democrats cry foul about negativity and wanting everyone to give Obama a chance. Pot, meet kettle. That, unfortunately, is the hypocritical nature of American politics.
Dirk

Yet you you decry them all.
Doesn't that just make you both the kettle and the pot?

puckstr
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Where the fuck is my CHECK :scream1:

Devaclis
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
BTW: Do not type "RUSH SUCKS" into google and do an image search at work. It is funny, but it is NWS.

Lesson: RUSH = Gay sex LOL

dapper
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
What a couple of:
http://49ersnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/mmp.png

Ha!
I'm a optimistic skeptic.
All in good humor...unclench those butt cheeks.

Dow Jones Industrial Average, our Debbie Downer of the Day?:(

It appears the market did not smile on the Obama change. The good news to bring us back above the line...we still have the same number of shares as we did yesterday.:)

This country was founded on optimism.:)

Dirk, avoid Jeff's loaded question. Plead the 5th!

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Dirk, avoid Jeff's loaded question. Plead the 5th!

I would never ask a loaded question.
I mean what are you Dapper.... stupid or just an asshole?:oops:

dapper
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I would never ask a loaded question.
I mean what are you Dapper.... stupid or just an asshole?:oops:
Quoted!^^

Naughty-nuffness, I am the infusion of infinite wisdom with heightened awareness to avoid choosing a side.

Tonight I will walk on frozen water. :lol:

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM

You lost me. How does that make me hypocritical? I support ideas, not politicians or political parties. I'm not all of a sudden saying that we ought to trust politicians. That would make me hypocritical. I don't trust politicians and I don't trust governments, especially as they get bigger and more removed from the governed. That is why I believe in smaller, balanced government. I don't recall ever saying otherwise.

Dirk

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Hell, I'm the whole 18 piece kitchen ensemble.

I think that career politicians cannot be trusted. Anyone who actually wants political office should be barred from seeking it. Our government has taken on a life of it's own, we are no longer served by it, rather we are servants to it.

Dismantle all portions of the federal government that are not specifically mandated by the Constitution. Strike 99% of tort law from the books. Disbar all tort attorneys. Repeal the federal income tax. Free bacon for all!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Dirk
To expand on Dirks comments, I've never in my life seen such president-bashing.........by the Dems. I can't go a single day here in the People's liberal commune of FTC where I don't see plenty of bumper stickers bashing Bush and Reps in general.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
You lost me. How does that make me hypocritical?

Didn't mean to say you where a hypocrite so much as I meant to say that the view must be pretty nice from the bench.

I honestly don't know the full details of your political views, in company you play your cards pretty close to the vest.
It's just seems in your posts you dislike the system to the point of disenfranchising yourself from it.
Which (IMO) does yourself and the country a disservice.

People of intellect are in short enough supply these days that we can't afford to waste them.
Just my impression, no offense intended.

..... Free bacon for all!

You had me at bacon....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Here's something N_N can believe in:

....pot, meet pipe....:siesta::)

Sortarican
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
... I can't go a single day here in the People's liberal commune of FTC where I don't see plenty of bumper stickers bashing Bush and Reps in general.

.....and I can't go a day on this board without seeing Obama bashing.

I saw thousands of Impeach Clinton stickers when he was in office...when times were pretty good..... and all he did was get head.

Whoever is in office, saint or sinner, best of times or worst of times, is going to be the back bumper scapegoat.

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Didn't mean to say you where a hypocrite so much as I meant to say that the view must be pretty nice from the bench.

Well, the pot and kettle analogy is meant to illustrate hypocrisy so that's
the way I took it.:)

I honestly don't know the full details of your political views, in company you play your cards pretty close to the vest.

It probably seems that way because, again, I'm not wedded to the philosophy of any party. I support ideas, some championed by the Democrats, some by the Republicans, and some by neither.

It's just seems in your posts you dislike the system to the point of disenfranchising yourself from it.
Which (IMO) does yourself and the country a disservice.

Oh, far from it. I vote my conscience. I support causes I believe in and there is ample evidence herein of that. I have argued as fervently here with supporters of Republican party positions as I have those supporting Democratic positions.

I am not disenfranchised with the system. The system was set up very cleverly by some extremely bright people. I just believe that the political parties have turned us against each other for their own gain, the country be damned. I've watched the Democrats demonize Reagan. I've watched the Republicans demonize Clinton. I've watched the Democrats demonize Bush with withering personal attacks. Now the Republicans will take their turn with Obama. So, I find it somewhat amusing when each decries the behavior of the other.

People of intellect are in short enough supply these days that we can't afford to waste them.
Just my impression, no offense intended.

None taken. That's something else that I think has gone too far: the idea that we can't vigorously discuss differences of opinion and not take offense and think the other side is a bunch of assholes.

Dirk

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
...the other side is a bunch of assholes.

Dirk

Yeah...what he said!

/sarcasm

Sortarican
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
None taken. That's something else that I think has gone too far: the idea that we can't vigorously discuss differences of opinion and not take offense and think the other side is a bunch of assholes. Dirk

+1
I get heated, but only really take offense to shoutdowns or threats of violence. (To the poster or a candidate.)

Love a good point/counter-point discussion.