PDA

View Full Version : President Obama's Speech

fullgrownbear
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I must say, It motivated me. I think the guy definitely has the gift to unify the masses, and that's exactly what we need in a time like this.

I don't claim the democratic, or republican party - I do however, like dirk, support ideas and theories that I believe are motivated to create stronger, more qualified union, among the nations.

As for the election, I'll be honest with you, I voted for McCain. I don't regret my vote, and I don't regret the outcome of the election. I'm actually quite pleased.

Although many are bitter from the former administration - I have personally sweat blood and tears on the battlefield against terror - and obeyed my orders as they were given. I do not hold any hate and discontent against President Bush and the previous administration. The decisions that were made - could have been different, and the battlefield that was chosen, may be the wrong one, However..

It is because of the former administration and the state of the nation today, that we have our first black president, President Obama, who now holds the highest office in the nation.

I think it's a good thing - I think it will unify this country. I am currently, and will always be, proud to be an american.

I just wanted to say, I will support my President and this country until my dying breath.

Those of you who are bitter with the former administration need to get over it.

Those of you who are bitter with the current administration need to get over it.

What's at stake, is the unity of the nation. It's up to each and every one of us to support President Obama's efforts in unifying this nation.

I'm done. Just wanted to say I thought he gave a good speech, and I believed he was sincere.

kalibra
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
J, I could not be more pleasantly surprised with the fact that you stated all that.I happen to come from a place where people are MUCH more inclined to call it like it is.One of my biggest surprises when I came to the States a few years ago was how "nice" everybody seems to be to your face just to find out how much they don't mean it.You were obviously not afraid to state your views and stand by them.We don't all believe in the same thing and that should be fine with the others.I agree with all that was said above and I too,was incredibly moved by his speech and conduct.Hope he will deliver as well on all (or most) of the promises.And like he said it is MOSTLY up to all of us to make the change.I hope to see more and more people not be afraid to state their opinions for the fear of the dissaproval of the masses....

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Well said, FGB...well said indeed.

kalibra
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
noob asks..."what is FGB"???

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
lol...sorry...it's short for Fullgrownbear...=)

Snowman
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hmm... I always thought it ment Flower Growing Buddhist.

thatmofo
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
noob asks..."what is FGB"???

LOL! That could be the abbreviation for a lot of things related to this topic.

mtnairlover
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hmm... I always thought it ment Flower Growing Buddhist.

:lol:

Shoot...I forgot when Jeremy posted something to Mel one time and he was referencing me by writing MAL...I was like wtf?!? What's MAL?

Oh...back on topic...sorry fullgrownbear...:D

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Well done :up:

PharmerKyle
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
And now, Lord, in the complex arena of human relations, help us to make choices on the side of love, not hate; on the side of inclusion, not exclusion; tolerance, not intolerance.
And as we leave this mountain top, help us to hold on to the spirit of fellowship and the oneness of our family. Let us take that power back to our homes, our workplaces, our churches, our temples, our mosques, or wherever we seek your will.

- Rev Lowery

Amen

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
And the passage that history will most likely remember:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen.

- Rev Lowery

Amen

AirAssault
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
It is because of the former administration and the state of the nation today, that we have our first black president, President Obama, who now holds the highest office in the nation.
For you to say this you need to totally discount what Pres. Obama has done his entire life up to the second he was sworn in....

Those of you who are bitter with the former administration need to get over it.
Of course this would be like me killing your parents and telling you to get over it.... I believe crimes where commited that need to be investigated and if crimes are proven then people need to be held accountable.

What's at stake, is the unity of the nation. It's up to each and every one of us to support President Obama's efforts in unifying this nation.
Not to long ago if you had a different opinion than the bush admin you were labled non american, a supporter of terror and against our troops. Did you speak out then?

I thought it was an awesome speech and hope Obama turns this country into what it used to be and not one that takes a big dirty duke on the constitution.

~Barn~
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM
My line of thinking has never really been all that different from yours AirAssault, save for a few things. And although the past maybe can't be quickly forgotten (or possibly even forgiven), I give lots of credit to FGB, for looking toward a positive and productive future.

Obama himself isn't going to turn this country into anything single handed, just as G.W. did not go his direction on his own. We as a people have to see what kind of lead we are given, and choose to make the steps. I think a lot of us are inspired by the leader at hand.

firefghtr
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
im feelin very hopeful after that speech, and i think so are alot of people. and i think thats what this country needs to get out of our funk

Flip
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Okay sorry people, but... When Bush was in office it was perfectly acceptable to say horrible, disrepectful, hateful things.
Now that everyone throwing nasty temper tantrums have it their way- being hateful, nasty and disrespectful is not approriate. That does not mean I dont like you, I just dislike the thinking that flaming Republicans for everything(whom a black man would not be in office without) is fine.
I'm having serious issues with that line of thought.
So, flame me if you must. That is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

PROFLYER
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well said. I too voted for McCain. Now that it's all over I must believe that the new Administration can help the current situation. He'll make mistakes, but hopefully he can make more good decisions. If he can create the ability to unify this nation again, I have to support that.

~Barn~
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Okay sorry people, but... When Bush was in office it was perfectly acceptable to say horrible, disrepectful, hateful things.
Now that everyone throwing nasty temper tantrums have it their way- being hateful, nasty and disrespectful is not approriate. That does not mean I dont like you, I just dislike the thinking that flaming Republicans for everything(whom a black man would not be in office without) is fine.
I'm having serious issues with that line of thought.
So, flame me if you must. That is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

To rational people, it was only acceptable after oh.... maybe the first 3 or 4 years of his 8 years in office. Definitely on the backhalf though. He was gathering noticable downhill steam at the time of his re-election, he just didn't have an opposing candidate to unseat him at the time. You'll remember John Kerry being on the boring side of vanilla.

I was somewhat young at the time, and certainly not as "political", but I don't recall any sort of mass-hate or mass-love for Bush's 2000 Inauguration. I think people were riding high on the outgoing Clinton Administration, and even though I remember feeling disapointed that my candidate (read: Gore) did not win, I don't recall any feelings of overwhelming dislike for Bush. Certainly not some of the hatred that I eventually developed for him, and Cheney, and Rumsfeld, etc....

I think if you're trying to justify the bad taste in your mouth by comparing the tone that 8 years of Bush set, to the tone that a few weeks of Obama's election has set, it's a little misguided.

Hell.... for all we know, he could make things worse, not better, and fall flat on every little thing he's spoken towards doing. I mean comeon... Let time tell, like it told for Dubya.

And for the record, anybody who gets completely and utterly "Rep vs. Dem" divisive, in how they speak, is an idiot anyway. You should probably not listen to much of what they have to say.

Hopefully you've noticed how most of the well spoken people on this board will typically refer to individuals and particular policies, when doing their postings, and not just turn it into an Us versus Them situation. I may have a strong dislike for the exiting administration, as do many, but only the foolish however, would ever proclaim that it was due entirely to "Republicans".

Flip
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Nicely put, and is a reasonable argument.
I dont have time to waste being angry for 4 years. But I don't care for democratic policies. Fortunately, I have all of my congresspersons email addresses!

Devaclis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I thought the speech was delivered very well. lip service aside, I want 100% for each and every thing that he spoke of to come to fruition. In reality it will not. Bu that is where, as an individual, I can hope. I did not vote. I would not have voted for Obama if I did. I do think he will do a good job tho. You can't be negative about everything.

Give peace a chance you fuckin' hipies!!!

Snowman
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
He just drafted an order to close Guantanamo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090121/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_guantanamo_2).
That’s on promise down.

Devaclis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Where are they going to imprison Chenney?

~Barn~
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM

Wherever it is, I hope they don't have Duck Hunt for NES.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM

Alcatraz.

Flip
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hey- thats all past remember? No more hatin, you haters.

~Barn~
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but Duck Hunt and/or shooting your friend in the face, never goes out of style.
:lol:

Flip
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
Cheating on your wife with another woman or man apparently won't either.

Now stop instigating this or we will get in trouble from the Man.
And sorry Mr. Full grown bear for getting your thread highjacked.

You are right- Obama is really groovy.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hey- thats all past remember? No more hatin, you haters.

Not necessarily so .....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/09/conyers-on-prosecuting-bu_n_156560.html

puckstr
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Not necessarily so .....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/09/conyers-on-prosecuting-bu_n_156560.html

Now that is what I am talkin bout. Those a-holes need to be held accountable for the mismanagement of the Country and the their criminal conduct carried out for the past 8 years. :hump:

Flip
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Not necessarily so .....

Pass. I don't read the Huffington post. It is all one sided- not my side.

Snowman
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I can see where The Hague can make a case against members of the Bush Administration for violating article 3 of the Geneva Convention.

However, charges can only be brought if the current Administration allows them to. Which I don’t see anytime soon. Besides if they did come for Bush ,he would just pull a Waco on his ranch. Damn Texans.

bluerocket
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
The surpreme court is stacked, see bush election 1, even if the chimp and darth cheney or any of the cosa nostra were convicted, the rats in the surpreme court would give them their get out of jail card