PDA

View Full Version : Conclussion of my massive Park County ticket

Clovis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
So as some of you may know on July 4th 2008 11 of us from the CSC did a 500+ mile trip dubed the Firecracker 500.

On our way back while traveling on Hwy24 just a few miles before Wilkerson Pass 5 of us were pulled over by a Park County Sheriff for speeding.

Initially the officer told us we were all going 105mph and then took our license/reg/insurance and returned a few minutes later. He told the group it was our lucky day and to GTFO of Park County, except for me. Because I had a passenger I was the only one he could pick out, lol.

Shannon and I told the guy we were actually doing 90 according the the speedo as that's what the bike maxed out at the 10,000 ft of elevation and two riders.

I was written a ticket for 12pts 105 speeding, 4pts Careless driving and a Lvl 3 misd for reckless endangerment.

In September I went to Fairplay, CO for court for the first time. Initially the DA offered to drop the two smaller charges but wanted me to plead guilty to the 12 point speeding. I told him no thanks and we returned a month later; this time I brought my wife and my dad joined in (he thought the ticket was BS considering there were 5 of us and radar doesn't tell the user which target it has and he was a traffic DA 30 years ago (still a DA but hasn't done traffic in a long, long time).

We also pointed out that the difference between 12pts and 6 points was 1 mile per hour (105 was 40 over, 104 would have been 39 over and 6 points) - with that the DA offered 6 points for the speeding but wanted to readd the 4 point careless for a net of 10 points.

A few more visits later, I grudgenly took the 10 points (I wanted the 6 point speeding and the other two dropped).

$300 in fines, $124 in court cost for a total of $424, 10 points and 24hrs of community service.

By the grace of god I still have 2 points left and I'll get my points back after July 4th 2009, so no speeding for me.

So, to echo what Judge Green said "I wouldn't speed in Park County".

-Clovis

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
not sure whether or not congrats are in order..... i guess congrats that you didnt lose your DL.... knock on wood, i havent gotten a ticket in over a year.... i think thats the longest ive ever gone without one. I attribute that mostly due to there not being many speed traps on the dirt trails.... lol

Devaclis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
I would have lawyered up. I have a bit of a hard head when it comes to people telling me I am wrong. I would have rotted in jail for calling the cop and the DA a liar before I settled. Yeah, pathetic of me, I know.

I am glad you did not serve time for this. Can you community service include participating in an MSF course in Park County? You know, as an instructor?

MetaLord 9
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
^^I think that would pretty much be the definition of irony

Sean
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Sucks, but I guess it could have been worse (and better for that fact)?
I guess an upside is that it's over.

Mental
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the update, sorry it worked out less than you wanted, but glad you aren't wearing orange and picking up trash in leg shackles.

Clovis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM
The 24hrs of community service luckfully doesn't have to be in Park County.

It can be anywhere as long as it's approved by the court and the judge said they're pretty open to that as long as it's not something like "Harward's house of giving" (my last name is Harward) is the example the judge used.

While the DA was unflexable the judge on the other hand was friendly and accomidating. I kind of got the impression he wanted to talk me out of taking the deal and offered to give another contience (making 5...) but I told him I would prefer to be over and done with.

I told the judge I wanted to plead no contest to the careless and told my story about the speed and other circumstances. It was kind of funny because they had a light load, it was just me and one other guy there (driving on a suspended license, he got 5 days in jail, doable over the weekends).

As I was handing the clerk $430 in cash (I had to goto the ATM.. the $300 I brought with me wasn't enough, lol) all I could think was "This could have been a new large LCD TV..)

Oh well, at least it's over and I'm not losing my DL, as long as I don't get another ticket for the next 6 months which with the way I drive (now) shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys,

-Clovis

phoenixr2
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
on off topic. you still do mortgages and refis?

Clovis
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Yes I do and I also offer substantial discounts for CSC & CRN members.

Call me @ 719-201-9383

-Justin

phoenixr2
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
well its for a friend, Ill pass your number along ;)

dallas
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
You should hit up the fire houses for your community service. I have washed a few firetrucks in my day.........

FZRguy
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I don't think you should expect to get those points back for at least two (and it could be three) years, unless that was a part of your deal.

Tipys
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Person over the age of 21 is aloud 12point in 1 year and no more then 18 in 2 years time so he may not get all them back right away but most of them is a good thing.

Ya thats good it wasnt as bad as you thought it was going to be. Also part of the reason I would believe he picked you out of everyone was the lack of gear being everyone else was in full leathers. except Kyle and his dual sport

d3spair
Wed Jan 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Clovis is dangerous!! (and sexy)

Clovis
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
That may have been it, I kind of got that impression about the gear too.

I was in my boots, jeans and one of my riding jackets.

If only I had been by myself, then I would have been in full leathers ;) But then again I would have been on the R1 and possibly going much faster?

As far as the points go, you have 12 if you're over 21. Points are deducted retroactively from the date of offense and thus given back after 1 year. However you are only allowed 18 in 2 years.

So basically it works like this. I had 12, lost 10 but I had already lost 3 in the 2 year period.

So in July 2009 it will be a year from this little fiasco and I'll regain my 10 points, it will also be 2 years from the previous 3 points so I'll have 8 points remaining instead of 12.

Once another year passes again I'll have the full number of points.

- Sexy Clovis

Captain Obvious
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Notice your insurance jump yet?

I never tell my insurance people about tickets, if they want to know, it is their job to spend their resources to find out how much they want to charge me. I mean, they don't call me every month and ask if I want to file a claim.....

Mental
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Clovis is dangerous!! (and sexy)

You're just saying that becuase he's a "renegade" lawless biker type
http://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/10386/1/Renegade-Season-1.jpg

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
The state may drop the points, but the insurance companies will gouge you for that ticket for at least 3 years.

Matt
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
An acquaintance here in the Springs had to do 24 hours of community service. He knew someone at the fire department who put him on a 24 hour shift one weekend. A lot of his community service time was spent sleeping on the sofa. His job was to answer the phone if it rang.

Guess it pays to know someone in the fire department.

Have to add: A lawyer costs money but can actually save you some hassles in the long run. Glad they didn't nail you for everything.

Midget Hellion
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds about like Fairplay...sorry to hear you got bent over by that shithole town!

modette99
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM

modette99
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM

Mental
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Glad to hear you are done with it now Clovis...Yep, time to move on and put it behind you.

Whaaa?!? You kidding? This is SoCo. We're gonna rag on him about this until he does something else. Thats why we still pick on GSXRScott about the wheel, Tipsys about his 650 at the track, Matty for his scuffs on the 750, Me for being ero-trash, Bash for being bionic, Krissy for being...well...Krissy.

I mean really, are ya new?:)

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Mental, what the heck is your avatar? It sort of looks like one of the guys from mad max but the image is a bit pixelated. Can we get a little more high res. here?

Mental
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Its Ian Ogilvy (aka "The Saint") on a BMW, I found it at work but had to use MS Paint to shrink it, I'll fix it at home.
http://www.saint.org/bmw-r100rs-st2-motorcycle.htm
http://www.saint.org/images/bmw-r100rs/return-of-the-saint-bmw-motorcycle-400.jpg

Tipys
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hey mental leave me and the track out of this.

Also you forgot about jim and the track both times

Mental
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hey mental leave me and the track out of this.

Also you forgot about jim and the track both times

Oh jeez, yer right, I totally forgot about 1st session Jim.

Clovis
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Supposedly Allstate doesn't raise rates for tickets.

According to my agent my rates would only increase if I had an at-fault accident and they had to pay out more then $1000.

I guess we'll see :)

<3 SoCo,

Clovis
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM

According to my agent my rates would only increase if I had an at-fault accident and they had to pay out more then $1000.

<3 SoCo, you bastards!

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM

<3 SoCo, you bastards!

I hope you're right, you've had enough bad news to last you for a long while. Did you ever get your R1 back? If not, did the insurance pay you?

#1Townie
Sat Jan 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM
better then me a few years ago.. 1000 bucks to the courts of sacramento..

Clovis
Sat Jan 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Nope, I never saw the R1 again. Insurance paid off the loan minus $250 (the deductable) back in November. I was ticked off because it took them nearly 3 months to settle the claim while I was still making loan payments and insurance payment on the bike.

I called to complain and they refunded the interest payments and my premium payments for the 3 months.

It still sucks none the less having your bike stolen but my wife and I looked at is a blessing in disguise; we were talking about selling it but we'd have to come up with a couple of grand just to break even - got to love deprecation :)

I financed the entire bike because I figured the odds were high of it either eveutally being totaled or stolen and that's what the $30/year gap insurance was for - glad I didn't waste putting $3k down. :)

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Ya, I totaled a bike a couple of years ago and had to make up a gap of $1700. I hope 2009 is better for you guys.

Mental
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Oh no doubt, Clovis and Ms Clovis are great folks, kharma and luck favor the prepared.

PsychoMike
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM
better then me a few years ago.. 1000 bucks to the courts of sacramento..

ouch, for what?