PDA

View Full Version : Congress Closing OHV Trails Within 2 Million Acres Of Off Limit Land

InlineSIX24
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
SEMA eNews, Vol. 12, No. 3 - Jan 22, 2009
Congress Creating 2 Million Acres of Wilderness, Closing OHV Trails

The United States Senate passed legislation to add more than 2 million acres to the National Wilderness Preservation System. The “wilderness” designation is consequential since no mechanized activity is permitted on such lands. The issue is of keen interest to off-roaders and the SEMA-member companies that market products to those groups.
The legislation bundles more than 160 separate initiatives that had been introduced in Congress in recent years. The bill would designate wilderness in nine states and establish several new national parks, monuments and conservation areas. The House of Representatives is expected to quickly ratify the legislation and send it to President Obama for his signature.

Noteworthy areas gaining wilderness designation would include:

190,000 acres in and around Joshua Tree National Park (CA)
470,000 acres in the Sierra Nevada and White Mountains (CA)
90,000 acres within the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
210,000 acres in and around Dominguez Canyon (CO)
250,000 acres within Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)
517,000 acres in the Owyhee-Bruneau Canyonlands in exchange for 190,000 acres of nearby Bureau of Land Management lands for OHV recreation and other activities (ID)
11,000 acres within the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (MI)
16,000 acres for the Sabinoso wilderness (NM)
130,000 acres around Mt. Hood (OR)
30,000 acres in the Oregon Badlands (OR)
260,000 acres in and around Zion National Park in exchange for 140,000 acres for OHV recreation and other activities, including designation of the “High Desert Off-Highway Vehicle Trail” (UT)
40,000 acres in the Jefferson National Forest (VA)
37,000 acres in the Monongahela National Forest (WV)
Some roads and trails were excluded from the wilderness designations and therefore remain available to the OHV enthusiast. Nevertheless, SEMA expressed concern that lawmakers were moving too quickly since not all roads and trails received protection. For more information, contact Brian Duggan at briand@sema.org (briand@sema.org)

puckstr
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
This maybe just the begining

wankel7
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I thought one of Bush's last legislation was to make a bunch of land open to mountain biking?

Sortarican
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
This maybe just the begining

Probably, and I know it's gonna piss off you off-road enthusiasts,
but I'm all for it.
(Now to buy a horse.)

Devaclis
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hey!!! I am about to explore that wilderness on a dual sport. I will do it anyway.

puckstr
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
but I'm all for it.
(Now to buy a horse.)

I will remember you said that when "THEY" close off shooting firearms on public land. (you know what I mean)

TFOGGuys
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
but I'm all for it.
(Now to buy a horse.)

No horses in most designated wilderness areas, either. Camping by permit only. fuckin environazis! :banghead:

MetaLord 9
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN THE NATURE!!! THAT'S THE WAY GOD INTENDED IT!!!

:jerkoff:

Sortarican
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
No horses in most designated wilderness areas, either. Camping by permit only. fuckin environazis! :banghead:

I'm pretty sure it's just "no wheeled vehicles". (Including bicycles)
At least I recall that horses were allowed in the Flat Top Wilderness area last time I rode there.

InlineSIX24
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
The automotive sector is already struggling with number down this year by 30-60% so this could crush a lot of off-road parts suppliers and vehicle manufacturers. I consider Rocky Mtn Nat park as a good example. I think that is one area that has a good balance of protected area, but still allows for OHVs. I'll be bummed if they get rid of what snowmobiling and riding you are still allowed to do up there. A few years back they outlawed chopper flights over the park. I see the point there, but I think they should have only made restrictions and required special licensing. That is kind of like Hawaii outlawing chopper tours over the volcanoes.

Sortarican
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
..this could crush a lot of off-road parts suppliers and vehicle manufacturers.

True, conservation almost always has a negative economic impact.

The sad part is that half the restrictions do nothing to truely protect an area.
And the other half were brought on my the small percentage of environmental fanatics or by off-roaders who ruin it for everyone by tearing aroung off trail.

Four-Wheel ATV's have shut down more trails than any other thing in my opinion.
People think they can take them anywhere because they're not an SUV and it closes trails down to the rest of us.

TFOGGuys
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just "no wheeled vehicles". (Including bicycles)
At least I recall that horses were allowed in the Flat Top Wilderness area last time I rode there.

Rules and Regulations

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Campfires are prohibited on the east side of the Continental Divide, as well as Caribou Lake, Columbine Lake, Gourd Lake, Crater Lake and in the Cascade Creek drainage above Cascade Falls.
Pets must be on a handheld leash at all times.
Permits are required for all overnight campers June 1 through September 15.
Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) or organizational groups such as scouts, churches, schools and hiking clubs.
Group size is limited to a maximum of 12 people or people and packstock combined.
Camping is prohibited in the Four Lakes Backcountry Zone from May 1 through November 30.
In the Diamond, Jasper, Crater and Caribou Lakes Backcountry Zones camping is allowed only at designated campsites.
Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of lakes, streams and trails.
Motorized or mechanized equipment, including mountain bikes, wagons, carts and chainsaws, are not permitted (wheelchairs are allowed).
Packstock are prohibited in the Four Lakes Backcountry Zone, in the Cascade Backcountry Zone above Cascade Falls and on the Diamond Lake Trail #975.
Hobbling, tethering or picketing of packstock is prohibited within 100 feet of lakes, streams or trails.
Only pelletized or steam-rolled feed grains, or certified weed-free hay, straw, or mulch are allowed. See 2-2005-01, Weed Free Forage Products, dated 6/20/05 (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/news/weed_free_order/index.shtml)(pdf, 8KB) for the official Order.
Leave No Trace Practices (http://www.lnt.org/)
Also check our safety page (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/recreation/safety.shtml) for other general guidelines.

So, plan on carrying in pelletized feed, and don't park your horse within 100 feet of any water. Or camp anywhere within 100 feet of water. Oh yeah, don't plan on a campfire, and don't forget to get a permit to use these "public" lands.

It sounds like the Powers That Be want to preserve the outdoors FROM the citizenry, rather than FOR them.

rforsythe
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM

Karma's a bitch, and bears are hungry. Nature will balance itself out. ;)

Devaclis
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
You just watch a game warden try and catch me while on his bicycle or hang-glider.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Rules and Regulations

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Campfires are prohibited on the east side of the Continental Divide, as well as Caribou Lake, Columbine Lake, Gourd Lake, Crater Lake and in the Cascade Creek drainage above Cascade Falls.
Pets must be on a handheld leash at all times.
Permits are required for all overnight campers June 1 through September 15.
Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) or organizational groups such as scouts, churches, schools and hiking clubs.
Group size is limited to a maximum of 12 people or people and packstock combined.
Camping is prohibited in the Four Lakes Backcountry Zone from May 1 through November 30.
In the Diamond, Jasper, Crater and Caribou Lakes Backcountry Zones camping is allowed only at designated campsites.
Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of lakes, streams and trails.
Motorized or mechanized equipment, including mountain bikes, wagons, carts and chainsaws, are not permitted (wheelchairs are allowed).
Packstock are prohibited in the Four Lakes Backcountry Zone, in the Cascade Backcountry Zone above Cascade Falls and on the Diamond Lake Trail #975.
Hobbling, tethering or picketing of packstock is prohibited within 100 feet of lakes, streams or trails.
Only pelletized or steam-rolled feed grains, or certified weed-free hay, straw, or mulch are allowed. See 2-2005-01, Weed Free Forage Products, dated 6/20/05 (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/news/weed_free_order/index.shtml)(pdf, 8KB) for the official Order.
Leave No Trace Practices (http://www.lnt.org/)
Also check our safety page (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/recreation/safety.shtml) for other general guidelines.
So, plan on carrying in pelletized feed, and don't park your horse within 100 feet of any water. Or camp anywhere within 100 feet of water. Oh yeah, don't plan on a campfire, and don't forget to get a permit to use these "public" lands.

It sounds like the Powers That Be want to preserve the outdoors FROM the citizenry, rather than FOR them.

I have been hiking in the IPW for the last forty years. The trails to the top of many of the peaks are basically super highways now. Once they were only a foot wide now they are three feet wide. Impact does happen to the ecosystem due to human intervention. If idiots cannot stay on the trail then they should be not allowed in the area. I remember when we could drink the water out of all the streams up there. No way in hell now -- even if horse parking is 100 feet away from the source.

SaShWhO
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I say mutherfuck that!!!

Sortarican
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
So, plan on carrying in pelletized feed, and don't park your horse within 100 feet of any water....

But you can take horses into the wilderness area.

I think you actually have to use "certified" feed in any of the National Forests in Colorado, not just wilderness areas.
This was done to reduce the amount of non-native weeds and such getting in.

And to further play Devil's Advocate and put it in perspective:
2,000,000 acres is roughly 55 by 55 miles.
460,000 acres in Colorado are two sections of roughly 18 by 18 miles and 19 by 19 miles.
The 250,000 acres in Rocky Mountain National Park have always been closed to most motorized vehicles.
Not sure what the Dominguez canyon is like now.

InlineSIX24
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
..This was done to reduce the about of non-native weeds and such from getting in..

Some of the hippies up there tend to enjoy the variety though.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/LPIPOD02/BN2590_15~Marijuana-Plants-Growing-Wild-Nepal-Posters.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Some of the hippies up there tend to enjoy the variety though.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/LPIPOD02/BN2590_15~Marijuana-Plants-Growing-Wild-Nepal-Posters.jpg

Those ARE native weeds. Well ---------- the ones with MORE HAIR :siesta:

Speedwagon
Thu Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Regulation doesn't stop the morons, because the morons don't care. The rest are just ignorant of what they are really doing to the environment, by NOT staying on the trail. I think they'd be far better off by educating people, rather than regulating people. Because if they don't realize what they are doing in area A, they are going to not realize what they are doing in area B as well, when area A is closed.

I will never understand regulation before education.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Regulation doesn't stop the morons, because the morons don't care. The rest are just ignorant of what they are really doing to the environment, by NOT staying on the trail. I think they'd be far better off by educating people, rather than regulating people. Because if they don't realize what they are doing in area A, they are going to not realize what they are doing in area B as well, when area A is closed.

I will never understand regulation before education.

Try 'educating' the banking industry.

Speedwagon
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Try 'educating' the banking industry.

They don't need education, they know exactly what they did. And they simply don't care, which means they should be booted, but never were.

Obviously, you can't educate to prevent greed.

Sortarican
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Regulation doesn't stop the morons, because the morons don't care....

Truer words were never spoke.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
They don't need education, they know exactly what they did. And they simply don't care, which means they should be booted, but never were.

Obviously, you can't educate to prevent greed.

No --- you can only regulate greed.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'll resurrect this thread as I will be returning to the dirt in the not-so-distant future. Here is a link to get the idea planted in your representatives thick skull that it is NOT OK to close the back country. Fucktards :321:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

InlineSIX24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Sent.

TFOGGuys
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Sent.

Me too...BTW, your avatar ROCKS. :rock:

InlineSIX24
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
:lol: Photoshop is the 8th wonder of the world. I was bummed that they took Imageready out of the new CS versions though.