PDA

View Full Version : paint

spdr8cr02
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Need to get a race tail painted and dont want to spend a ton... anyone know a local guy/girl in COS?

dallas
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have a few rattle cans laying around..........

P.m. Morse. He knows a thing or 543,874 about painting.

Mental
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
He won't do it for you, but also GSXRScott did a flat out amazing job with rattle cans. Don't get me worng, it was not a quick job, it was a ton of prep and lots of wet sanding but the results are just awesome. He posted up how he did it and will probably tell you of you ask.

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, +1 on the rattle cans. Most of my race bikes are painted with krylon, and they look pretty good. Besides, it is a race tail, who really cares how it looks? You need a 50-50 paint job for a race bike. It njeeds to look good at 50 feet going 50 miles an hour.

If you really want to spend time but not money, prep, paint, dry. Wet sand, paint, dry. Plenty of resources online on how to do it.

jimwallace
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
i can always squirt it with 2 stage if you like. i do good work, but its not a living for me and i just charge the bare minimum. heck if its a color i have laying around i am more than willing to do it for next to nothing.

OldKneeDragger
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
+1 for JimWallace

Now if you want to match colors, Jim is quite the guy to talk to... He just painted an old motorcycle for me that I wanted to look close to original..

He not only matched the color perfectly, he also did the OEM pin striping and clear coated the whole thing. It looks better than it did when new!!

I'll get some pictures of it if it ever warms up enough to put it together and get it outside.

(The only problem with the paint job is it looks better than the rest of the bike)

daemon
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
i'm looking for someone who can do "matte" colors...
any ideas...

jimwallace
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
(The only problem with the paint job is it looks better than the rest of the bike)
I can fix that for ya!:horse:

thanks for the kudos.

Bashed
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I can fix that for ya!:horse:

thanks for the kudos.

Thats a lot of love goin on down here, just feel it.
+1

spdr8cr02
Thu Jan 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
i can always squirt it with 2 stage if you like. i do good work, but its not a living for me and i just charge the bare minimum. heck if its a color i have laying around i am more than willing to do it for next to nothing.

PM sent... could really use the help :)

hcr25
Thu Jan 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah, +1 on the rattle cans. Most of my race bikes are painted with krylon, and they look pretty good. Besides, it is a race tail, who really cares how it looks? You need a 50-50 paint job for a race bike. It njeeds to look good at 50 feet going 50 miles an hour.

If you really want to spend time but not money, prep, paint, dry. Wet sand, paint, dry. Plenty of resources online on how to do it.

This can be true to a point but once you start getting sponsors it helps when you bike looks nice. Your bike is in the pit the majority of the time not on the track. Usually the only time spectators stop and look at your bike in your pit is when you just crashed and destroyed it or it looks really nice. Either way it can be a good way to promte your sponsors. :)

jimwallace
Thu Jan 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
well, here is one thing most people must not seem to realize is that there is something called "single stage". it is far cheaper than 2 stage (base coat, clear coat) but it comes out with a glossy shine without all the work of a rattle can and quite honestly probably no more expensive than rattle can.

Sharkbate
Tue Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
:) Jim, pm sent.

spdr8cr02
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Got the stuff back today... Jim is a stand up guy! Thanks!

jimwallace
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
you are more than welcome. need anything else just let me know. hope youre happy with it.

spdr8cr02
Mon Feb 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Will do I am looking for a race upper/lower for a reasonable price and I will give you a shout for the paint. Thanks again!