PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Ride 2009

Mental
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
This years thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422235

Pictures from the 08 Ride;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310285&highlight=elephant

Basically its an attempt to climb a snow covered pass. I am going and taking my Van (again, I love that damm thing) I am heading up Saturday afternoon/evening and camping out (OK, sleeping in my van, with space heater). I have already gotten a confirmation from Psycho Steve who owns that land everyone camps on.

Anyone wanting to head up and practice some insanity, is, as always welcome to join me. I mean, they don;t call me mental becuase it sounds cool with my last name....oh wait...

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I might come 'watch'. :up:

Tipys
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 12:19 AM
they don;t call me mental becuase it sounds cool with my last name....oh wait...

Ya thats only 1 of the reasons

But anyways I would go if 1 had a duel sport or 2 enjoyed riding on dirt

OldKneeDragger
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Ok, you win! I've known about this ride for many years and a couple of years ago I honestly thought I would give it a try on the ZX-12R. Yep, it was an insane thought. I even went so far as to get an old tire and line the inside with an extra rubber liner and yes, a tube so I could stud the tire without worrying about punctures.

I figured it might be as much fun as the sand drags I used to do with a paddle tire on an old Z1.

So I got called on a business deal and had to back out before I had everything ready to go.

In retrospect, it was likely the best thing that ever happened to me. I got a very small bit of common sense since then and now realize how truly dumb that ride is. Sand drags where crazy, tore up a lot of equipment, and where a lot of fun but at least it was WARM.

Yes they stress how crazy this ride is in the description and hence the name.

You are truly a MENTAL case and should seek help immediately.

Bueller
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Pondering

TFOGGuys
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I've done this the last 6 years, and it's an absolute hoot. Good fun, relatively safe, great people. I even sponsor a trophy for the TFOG Mini 4 stroke stupidity dash. Basically, racing up the hill on modified XR100s with ice screws....

Bueller
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Jim, you have kold kutters at the shop?

TFOGGuys
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've got 1000 Pro Gold hardened sharp ice screws on hand, more coming in towards the weekend, Dave. They're the 1/2 inch ones, so if your tire isn't too worn, you can use them without liners on most knobbies.

FZRguy
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Looks fun in a sick sort of way.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Story

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/be-careful-what-you-wish-for-the-1996-elephant-ride-3894.html

dallas
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I opened up the forums to see what's inside
I clicked on the thread labled "Elephant Ride"

Then I JIZZED IN MY PANTS!!!!!!!!

Mental
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Story

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/be-careful-what-you-wish-for-the-1996-elephant-ride-3894.html

Awesome.

dallas
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I am heading up Saturday afternoon/evening and camping out (OK, sleeping in my van, with space heater.

Anyone wanting to head up and practice some insanity, is, as always welcome to join me. I mean, they don;t call me mental becuase it sounds cool with my last name....oh wait...

Feburary 7th.............I am applying for a kitchen pass now..........

Do you have space for a CRF450 and a goofy Navy guy?

TFOGGuys
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Got 4000 ice screws coming in tomorrow....http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/images/tires/IceScrews.jpg

swademaster
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
If I had a bike that was capable, I would consider it. I doubt the kid's CRF50 would be a good bike to try it on.

Mental
Mon Jan 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Feburary 7th.............I am applying for a kitchen pass now..........

Do you have space for a CRF450 and a goofy Navy guy?

Bike yes, goofy yes, Navy....I dunno.....:)

dallas
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I just ran this by the old lady and it didn't seem to phase her. I will bring it up again the next time she calls (which sould be every half hour).

Oh yeah, is there cell phone coverage up there? I sure hope not. I would hate to have to turn off my phone and miss a call from some one I actually wanted to talk to........

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Depends on the carrier...fortunately, T-Mobile drops out just the other side of Bailey, so I have blessed silence on the pass :)

dallas
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Nice, I am with T-Mobile.

How much are those ice screws going for?

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
They're 54.89 for a thousand, plus tax, and after your CSC discount. Depending on how gonzo you get, usually you'll use ~400-500 for a rear tire and 300-400 for the front. If you plan on using a cordless drill, make sure you have extra batteries, and turn the clutch down to about 3, so you don't "strip" the holes.

Bueller
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have to check my tire situation, anyone got any decent take offs with enough knob left fer screwin?

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
You running an 18 or a 19 rear, Dave? BTW I took delivery on 5000 ice screw today....

Bueller
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
:)

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I have a couple of 18'' rears that already have some screws in 'em, although you'll prolly want to replace 'em as they're pretty worn from previous Elephant Rides.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hmmmmm....ROKON!!!!!
(Hell. it's already sitting in Fairplay anyway.)
http://www.valleyventurellc.com/images/scout-left.jpg

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hmmmmm....ROKON!!!!!
(Hell. it's already sitting in Fairplay anyway.)
http://www.valleyventurellc.com/images/scout-left.jpg
I think the entire production of those since the factory opened was on the hill last year...seriously, I stopped counting at 30.....some of 'em were chained up...pretty much unstoppable until we got to the 8ft plus drifts

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Bump!

This Sunday. Dig out your dirtbike or dualsport, add some ice screws, and join the fun!

I have 3000 ice screws in stock... :eyebrows:

Ralph? Bueller?

Bueller
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Dammit!
I just bought a new set of knobbies too :think:

Attempting to resist.........getting weak.............

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Dammit!
I just bought a new set of knobbies too :think:

Attempting to resist.........getting weak.............

Screws go in in about an hour....they come back out in about 1/2 that after the ride....

C'mon...what's the worst that can happen? Fall off at 20 mph in the snow, while bundled up like Bib the Michelin man?

You know you want to....

:devil1:..... sign right here.....

Mental
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Tell ya what. Sign up for this ride and this one will be free...

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I just got my XT back from my buddy...gonna take it in tomorrow and mount up the ice tires....change the oil....rejet the carb so it'll run above 9000 feet :banghead::banghead:

Bueller
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I just got my XT back from my buddy...gonna take it in tomorrow and mount up the ice tires....change the oil....rejet the carb so it'll run above 9000 feet :banghead::banghead:
If I come for screws tomorrow can I peek inside my motor :lol:

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
If I come for screws tomorrow can I peek inside my motor :lol:

If you bring your xray specs, maybe...prolly won't get it apart til maybe Saturday....

TFOGGuys
Sun Feb 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Just got down off the hill, had a blast. I'll post up some pics later if I get a chance.

Mental
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.evilengineering.com/gallery/d/28769-2/Elephant+Ride+036.JPG

More pics here;
http://www.evilengineering.com/gallery/v/Mental/Rides/Elephant+Ride/

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I didn't realize that was you that overheated by the guy on the XR100... I was the guy on the XT350, my buddy Brian took the pic....

Mental
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
yeah I met a lot of great peaple, but I am already bad with names and the beer/hangover didn't help.

Bashed
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Looks like you had a great time Mental.
Maybe next year I will take the pit bike up.
You know, just so when I get stuck I can
just pick the whole damn thing up and out.
Although, so of the ruts looks deep enough
to swallow the poor Honda.

Peace Bash

Mental
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Thats what the 100 guys were doing, its no surprise they made it farther than almost anyone. I think some of the Rokon guys went farther, but can't be sure.

Being the eVil genuis you are, you should build a trail bike with a side car. The hacks did pretty well, but the clearence would get them hung up. So I figure an old school 2 stroke 500 dirtbike with a 2nd half of another one as a sidecar, equipped with sand paddles would whup some arse on that trail.

Bueller
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I shoulda gone! I shoulda gone! I shoulda gone! I shoulda gone!

DudeAbiding
Wed Feb 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Damn! If I'd known about this I'd have snaked my buddy's kawi!