PDA

View Full Version : won't start?

Jix6
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Hey, just bought a 97 GSXR 600. The damn thing started fine while the seller was here dropping it off. I shut it down, and restarted about 3 more times in the next 30 minutes. Then I rode to the gas station to fill it up. I parked it, and then tried one more time, but it was like the battery was dead... just kinda clicked once.. connection issue? can't be a dead battery as it started quickly the first 5-6 times...

Any help?

towneh
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 06:35 PM
could be loose if they put in a new battery before selling.... OR.... it could be the original battery (probably an old Yuasa).
hope that helps..
henry

Jix6
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 06:41 PM
i hope so too, as soon as it's done raining i'm gonna check out the connections... hopefully i won't have to buy a new battery yet, since i'm out of money!

Anonymous
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Could be you kept starting it without giving the battery enough time to recharge. Do this: check your connections carefully. If that doesn't help, then push start the bike i.e. get it rolling down a hill, or have a friend push you - just needs to be as fast as a person can run - kill switch ON, key ON, in 1st gear w/ clutch IN. As soon as you're moving quick enough, just let out the clutch. The idea is to turn over the engine and make it fire. As soon as it fires, pull in the clutch, you should be idling. Pull it to a good spot, leave it in neutral and let it sit for a while. Make sure the high beam isn't on and raise the idle as much as you can also, since typical bike idle isn't enough to charge the battery. Give it a good 30 min like this.

Alternatively - as soon as you get it going, suit up and go for a nice ride up 24 or something, and don't turn it off for at least 30 min. See if that helps.

Jix6
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 07:33 PM
yeah, soon as the damn rain goes away i'll try that too... OMG how i want to ride... just for a little while... stupid laws and registration crap! :guns:

Erratic
Thu Jun 19th, 2003, 08:07 PM
I think Ralph is right. When the battery on my Katana started to lose juice the same thing happened to me. I could start it a few times and it wouldn't have a problem, but if the temp. dropped a little bit and I had to crank it for a few the battery would go dead almost right away. Check the fluid level of your battery. It might just be toast.

Hoopty
Fri Jun 20th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Make sure you have the kill switch turned "on", and the kickstand up if it's in gear. Also, Suzuki's do require the clutch to be pulled in to start, even if you're in neutral. Just thought I'd throw this out since I've done them all more than once. :oops: :D

towneh
Fri Jun 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM
yessss..... all these things become automatic after a while BUT every once in a while something pops-up that distracts you AND you forget to do one of those silly, little things . As a result the bike sits 'dead in the water'!
yessssss..... everybody has done this at least one time or another.
:D :D :D ;)
henry

Jix6
Fri Jun 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM
well, i hooked some cables from my jeep to the bike (without the jeep running of course) and that worked to get it started.. I ran it from 24 to base, and back... Then I parked it due to the 3 o'clock daily storm that's luming. I'll let y'all know if it starts on it's own tomorrow... or tonight
thanks fer the input

BladeRider
Fri Jun 20th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Jumping a bike battery from a car battery (even not running) gives it too many amps and could hurt the battery. Two words "Battery Tender". They work wonders.

The experience I've had with bike batteries is that they only last a couple of years anyway. There's a good chance you need one, it may be a good idea to have it tested at a shop. If the battery's holding a charge, you may have a short somehwere draining it.

Tom

Jix6
Sat Jun 21st, 2003, 03:22 AM
good point. I'll get mine tested. Thanks

Anonymous
Sat Jun 21st, 2003, 07:23 AM
Good idea to get it tested - either by a shop ($$$) or by getting it started & riding it as Ralph suggested. If it needs replacing, it can't hold a charge for very long. The previous owner may have known this and charged prior to your looking at it.